1931 Essex clutch problem

bigdrag49
bigdrag49 Member
edited January 2016 in HUDSON
I bought a 1931 Essex super six and the clutch will not disengage after sitting for over six years. Any suggestions on how to free it and do you think it will still be functional?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    This is common in any Hudson that has sat, unused, for some period of time (like months).

As you may know, the clutch runs in a bath of oil called "Hudsonite", and when the corks on the disc dry out, they can bond themselves to the clutch plate.  (Some folks prevent this by holding the clutch pedal down with a stick or rod, when the car is put into long-term storage.  Actually, my car sits all winter long, unused, and there is never a problem the following spring.)

Ken Cates has a "recipe" for a solvent, listed on his helpful website:  http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Clutch.htm    However, the tri-chloro-ethane, one of the ingredients, is difficult to find nowadays.  You might try mixing the other ingredients, putting them into the clutch, rotating the clutch every few hours to distribute the solvent, and leaving it in the clutch for several days to work its magic.  Usually, this will cure the problem.

• You can use the liquid used to clean plastic plumbing joints prior to using the glue - the solvent is the trico in a similar form - check out the stuff at a hardware store cheers ken
  • Thanks for the help guys! I have only owned this car for a month so I am new to the Essex family and learning more every day. Love this car! There are so many unique things that I haven't seen before and I have been working on cars for over 50 years. I'll try the "fix" you described and hopefully it will work.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yeah, and I think they still had the electric oil level gauge on the '31's....another unique Hudson/Essex feature.  Push the button next to the gas gauge to see how much oil's left.
  • So THAT'S what that is! I saw the float in the oil pan but didn't know how it worked.
  • I have a 31 easex as well And had the same Problem clutch was frozen when I bought it in December. First check Fluid make sure there is fluid. I might have gotten lucky I was able to free it Up fairly quickly by slipping tires on oil in the garage. It freed up the clutch.
This discussion has been closed.