1931 Hudson Truck Help me with history & photos

Spinner
Spinner Member
edited January 2016 in HUDSON
Hi, This is my first post.  I own a 1931 Hudson Truck  VIN H509934   Josh
I can not find any history on older Hudson trucks or even a photo of such a vehicle.  It does have dual cowl vents. 
I think it might be a commercial chassis cab and not a pickup because the bed has no stamps on it. 

Please help shed some light on these trucks. 

imageimageimage

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Wow.  Too bad we can't see the photos.  

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    From all I've heard, Hudson did not make any sort of truck prior to (I think) 1932, except for the 1929 Dover line of commercial vehicles.  Unless it was some sort of special truck made at the factory.  More likely, someone took a wrecked '31 Greater Eight and made a truck out of it.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Welcome to the forum Josh. I just added your trucks serial number to my Hudson, Essex, Terraplane commercial vehicle numerical serial number list. If you would send me a message with your name, address, phone #, email # and Serial Number (vin #) for the Hudson Club Commercial Vehicle Registrer. That helps members to help each other out that have similar trucks. Are you a member of the Hudson, Essex, Terraplane Club? If not and you may be interested you can contact HETClub.org for further information and online membership. There are many in the Club knowledgeable about 30,s trucks that are willing to help. As well for all Hudson years. My email is cleeescars@yahoo.com for anyone else that have forgotten to include their serial numbers for the Club Roster. Lee O'Dell
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Spinner provided photos, and they are now loaded - see initial post (above).

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited January 2016

Spinner, the good news is that you have a one of a kind truck.  Hudson did not make a pickup in 1931 and as you say, I have not found anyone who has modified one.  I will say, that you have a very nice truck.  I have added a photo of my 28 Essex pick up, that also was not made by Hudson Motor Company.  From my last count, with your truck it brings up the number of "Phantom" trucks (what we call a truck that the company might have built, but never did) to eight.  Yours looks like a very nice ride.

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2016

Here's the photos of Brownie's truck -

imageimageimage
  • Thank you all for info on this truck.
    It looks like I might have a one off factory work vehicle or something.
    The body does not look as though it is modified.
    It has a twin vent cowl.
    The Vin looks unmolested on the frame.  VIN H509934

Sincerely

Joshua Spinner
    joshuaspinner@gmail.com
    303-825-2626
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Just an FYI - Hudson (and many others are known to have made 'conversion kits' to convert cars to trucks. Many were bought and installed, not only by owners, but also by body shops & dealers.  Metal work was more common place back then, and resulted in some quite professional looking results.
    However, that being said - Hudson did have some unique shop trucks for their factory, which may have gotten into private hands as well.  Unknown and speculation - unless there is some type of documentation to support whatever theories are presented.  
    Someone here may well be able to tell you something from the Serial Number...
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Well, the SN doesn't help here.  It's the only 31 in the commercial registry also. The 1930 Model U had Serial Numbers in this range (46599-54408) but no 31s  The 24/25 Hudsons also had numbers in this range but that's too early for yours..  The H prefix is a mystery as it doesn't appear in the Butler History.  A one-off by the factory sounds plausible, thus the 'H' prefix..  Maybe being made from a 30 Model U which would have had that SN without the 'H' and registered as a 31.  Maybe Alex has some words of wisdom.  Anyway, it is what it is.

There is also a 29 Hudson screen-side here in NY with a Biddle and Smart body tag.  That thing is also a complete mystery.

This discussion has been closed.