Hudson heater replacement with air conditioner

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I recall seeing where some of you guys had replaced the stock heater with an A/C heater unit from Vintage Air (or it may have been Old Air Products).  In any event, I would be interested in seeing some pics of the finished product.  

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I don't see Park's post here now on this thread, but Park can certainly help you with this.  There's a great write-up on AC installation in a Stepdown on Ken Cates' STepdown Restoration webpage here:

I've got two cars with AC (South Texas).  One has a system nearly identical to Park's (my sedan) and the other is identical to the one in the write-up (convertible).  Both have pros and cons.  Feel free to email me for any extra info:  HETrlchilton52@gmail.com  (drop the HET).  
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I don't see Park's post here now on this thread, but Park can certainly help you with this.  There's a great write-up on AC installation in a Stepdown on Ken Cates' STepdown Restoration webpage here:

I've got two cars with AC (South Texas).  One has a system nearly identical to Park's (my sedan) and the other is identical to the one in the write-up (convertible).  Both have pros and cons.  Feel free to email me for any extra info:  HETrlchilton52@gmail.com  (drop the HET).  

I GET "FILE NOT FOUND (404 ERROR)
    Lee O'Dell

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2016

go here and down to the bottom and click on the photo. Note that this is the installation of the old hang in unit. Vintage Air should instead be used. But good stuff here anyway.

http://www.auldridge.org/doc.htm

Here are some photos of my Vintage A/C with original heater; Park's does not have original heater; his is built in with his Vintage A/C.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101895503406236284856/HudsonAirConditioning?authkey=Gv1sRgCKL5t5mYsY6wOA#

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2016

Also his total auto garage is interesting. ALSO: on his blog are photos of the installation of a switch on steering column for controlling the overdrive.

http://www.auldridge.org/garage.htm

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I have an A/C unit that I put in the place where the right glove compartment is located on my Commodore.  I was thinking that Super Dave had replaced his original heater with a Genesis unit from Vintage Air. Since the car I'm thinking about buying has only one glove compartment on the passenger side, I'd like to try replacing the original heater with an AC unit that fits in the old heater's space.   
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

I did replace the heater with the Genesis unit and YES it invades the original glove box somewhat. I just reduced the box size. Not as deep, but still holds some gloves..LOL

I also installed a firewall mounted master cylinder so I cut a bit of the heater mounting box. I left enough to retain the water drain portion, so the cowl vent can be used when it rains.

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited January 2016

My unit (Hot Rod Air, I think identical to Vintage Air) took a chunk out of the glove box too, but still useful space there.  As mentioned above, I opted for heater core in the AC unit, as I thought the big housing wouldn't clear the original heater.  Since there was no heat control valve with the new unit, I kept the original heater control and temp sensor, and that works fine.

Now, that said, I wish I'd have kept the original heater.  It turned out that the new unit did indeed clear the original heater, and the original did a much better job of providing heat to the under-dash area, especially on the driver's side.  Yes, I have a heat duct running over to the left side foot area, but it's not adequate.  Meanwhile the passenger side occupant's footsies are very comfortable.

• 48rob
    48rob Member
    edited January 2016
    I did mine a little differently...

Instead of fitting the unit in the middle of the car, I pushed it over to the right.
    I placed it under the dash, which left the glove box intact.
    A lot of people told me it wouldn't work, that the driver wouldn't get any/enough cold air.
    I've found it to work very, very well.
    There is plenty of air flow on low speed.
    I kept the original heater, which works great!
    Rarely have a need to turn the blower motor on because of the cowl vent system.
    If I'd have gone with the combo system, I'd have had to listen to the blower constantly.

Rob
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    I concur with Rob's post above. I also pushed the under-dash evaporator/fan housing as far right as I could, so as not to interfere with the original heater or glove box. Getting cold air to the driver is hardly an issue. It cools the entire interior like an icebox! This is in 90-100 degree outside temps too!
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Sounds like Rob and Hud guy are talking about "under-dash" units vs. firewall-mounted units.
  • Park,

Yes, mine is a Vintage Air under dash unit.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.