Need Carburetor for late model 28 Essex (Marvel VB-10-669)

My 28 Super Six is jerry rigged with a Tillotson carb now. It also has an electric fuel pump. I am trying to return it to the original vacuum pump and carburetor. I was given the old vacuum pump with the car, but not the carburetor. I'm not sure if the pump works. So I may need that as well.

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Hi blaine

The '28 Essex had a Stewart carburettor. If you cannot find one locally, let me know as I do have spare.

Alistair
    NZ
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    edited December 2015
    I think the Marvel carbs started in 29.  My 28 Essex has a Detroit Lubricator model 25 made by stewart. Where are you located? 
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    My 28 also runs a Detroit Lubricator model 25. Original eqipment according to owners Instruction book
  • blaine
    blaine Member
    edited December 2015
    According to this the late model 28s had a Marvel carb... http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1928/28HudsonMechSpec.pdf I wouldn't mind putting the early 28 carb instead. I am located in Stafford, Virginia USA.
  • I noticed a few Stewart carbs on eBay, but they are either in really bad shape or missing parts. Ernie28, is your spare in running shape?
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    blaine said:
    According to this the late model 28s had a Marvel carb... http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1928/28HudsonMechSpec.pdf I wouldn't mind putting the early 28 carb instead. I am located in Stafford, Virginia USA.
    This refers to 28 Hudson not 28 Essex. Very different engines.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Blaine,
      If you can't find a restored carb, I have one that could be rebuilt. Here is a source for vacuum tanks. Dave Stewart in Longview TX. 903-918-3726. He may have what you need.
    Gene.
  • Hudsonsplasher1, how much for your carb? I found a guy that has some restored ones, but I am waiting on the price. Worried it might be out of my budget.
  • I am definitely interested in a Stewart carb if any of you have one to spare. I can't send private messages for some reason.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Blaine, 
      $ 40.00 plus shipping. These all brass carbs usually just need cleaning and lube. There's not much to ware out in them. Let me know.
    Gene.
  • blaine
    blaine Member
    edited December 2015
    Can you send me pictures? If you are able to send private messages, I will provide you with my email.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    I'll send some pics. 
  • hudsonsplasher1
    edited December 2015
    Blaine, 
     For some reason I can't post pics here.  Send me your email and I'll try again.
    Gene.
  • Bdonley at gmail dot com
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    blaine said:
    I noticed a few Stewart carbs on eBay, but they are either in really bad shape or missing parts. Ernie28, is your spare in running shape?
    Blaine

If you can get one locally that would be cheaper as shipping from New Zealand would cost a bit extra. The ones I have are complete and, as has been said on this thread, should work fine with a cleanup etc.

Let me know if you are interested.

Alistair
  • Alistair, I will let you know if Gene's doesn't work out. Thanks!
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Blaine, 
     Sent some pics.  Did you get them?
    Gene.
  • Gene,

I did not receive the pictures.  Try sending an email without the pictures and we can sort it out through email.

Thanks,

Blaine
  • Try blainedonley at gmail dot com instead.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Lets try this again, let me know if you get the pics.
    Gene.

• My December 1928 Essex phaeton has a Stewart carb.
This discussion has been closed.