1947 hudson drivemaster sedan engine trans swap

Comm6
Comm6 Expert Adviser
 I have a 1947 Hudson drivemaster sedan with the original 212 motor 3 speed drivemaster  transmission. The motor threw a rod and I'm debating on what drive train I could possibly go with without much modification needed. Any input or information is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might want to post this also in the "Street Rods" section, if you're looking for all the transplant possibilities. 

By the way, had you considered simply replacing the rods?  You also might want to consider installing an original-type overdrive transmission, which will allow you to drive at faster speeds (so you don't throw another rod), and of course they'll "plug right in" (you would of course have to find the correct length of drive shaft to go with them).
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Jon B I would love to keep it original I was planning on rebuilding it however it has a huge hole the size of a baseball on the lower side of the block. The parts are also very expensive so I figured upgrading to another drive train I was thinking a ford 390 or 460 with a c6 auto just not sure what would fit or if anyone has attempted this before.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Then, too, you might look around for a complete and running 212 engine (but one with an overdrive transmission already attached).  One source might be a street rodder who was transplanting something newer into his car, and selling his old 212. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

I installed a ford 302 with automatic transmission in a 47. No cutting of the frame or drive shaft. Probably doubled the horse power. Very easy conversion that can be put back to original easily.. A big block? I doubt it.

• Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for all the info. Ken-utx the only mods I have to make is the mount and radiator to fit a 262 308 48-54 and Trans will bolt right up? Superdave can u give me a few pointers or what u did exactly to fit the 302 and wich trans you used thanks.
  • SuperDave
    Comm6, Sent ya a PM
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Superdave thanks so much for the info. Do you know if an AOD trans would work the same as the fmx?
  • SuperDave
    Comm6 said:
    Superdave thanks so much for the info. Do you know if an AOD trans would work the same as the fmx?

No Idea.. When I did that swap there wasn't any such thing as an AOD!! LOL You might get on a Ford forum and ask about the tranny lengths.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited December 2015
    FYI
    Keep in mind that if you install any motor with an automatic trans you also must change the rear gear ratio way up around 3.00 -3.42 or you will drive 55 mph in drive and the motor will be screaming to shift up again....
  • Comm6,

What condition are the rest of the rods in your engine?  If they are good, you could just replace the one rod (or have its bearing repoured).  I helped someone whose engine had a similar sized hole in the block.  We just drilled and tapped a few small holes around the hole.  We then made a gasket and cut a piece of sheet metal that we screwed on.  It didn't leak.

I also agree with Ol racer that having a transmission with overdrive is likely to be more practical (and economical) project than having to put in the automatic transmission and a different axle ratio.  My first Hudson was a 1951 Hornet with an original 3.58 axle.  Its engine turned pretty fast on the Jersey Turnpike.  I later had a '52 Hudson with automatic and a 3.07 axle, which is what Hudson supplied with automatics in 1952.  This allowed the engine to be very comfortable at highway speed.  

Per
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Thanks so much for all the information you all have provided me with. I have not yet took the block apart. However I was researching how to weld cast Iron. I came up on this product called muggyweld 77 for cast iron. Has anyone tried this or know of this product? I have seen it applied online on YouTube looks fairly straight forward.
  • SuperDave
    I used Muggyweld on a pot metal trunk handle/ornament. Did the job.. Haven't tried  cast iron .
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    This is what I'm working with... Pretty bad but could be worse I guess. I'm going to pull the motor our in a couple weeks in my shop so I can better assess the damage.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2015
    Just for fun, why not put a notice in the Parts & Pieces section of this forum, asking if anyone has a good used engine -- or even a decent block -- for sale?  Even if no one here does, they may know of someone you can contact.  It would be so much easier to simply drop a good-running engine in there -- or re-assemble the engine using your internal parts and someone else's solid block -- than to fuss around trying to patch this block.  And quite possibly a lot cheaper.

By the way, if you mention your approximate location, it might induce someone (with a spare engine that's just taking up room) to step forward and offer it for sale.  Especially if they thought you were only a couple counties away from them.
  • SuperDave
    What Jon just said...
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Thanks guys I'm in Las Vegas Nevada. I found one block with all internals in Nebraska from faulks hudson lot from a gentleman by the name of Melvin. His price is decent but the shipping is rediculous and still would have to rebuild it.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited December 2015
    Comm 6 use Fastenall to ship the block. Mel is a great Hudson guy.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Looks to me like the  cap bolts must have come loose to allow that to happen. I reckon the good old fashioned castellated nuts and split pins should never have been done away with.   However, providing the cylinders and crank are not damaged that block is repairable with a screwed on patch.
    Geoff 
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    edited May 2016
    This is how the my 212 block looks now after 2500 in work just have to pop the head and accesories on it.
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    edited May 2016
    Need a cork 9 inch clutch for a 1947 Hudson six 212 drive master mine has one spring that is broken if anyone has one let me know thanks.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The clutch is no problem, we have a couple guys doing those in the Club.  My personal recommendation is Doug Wildrick.  (You didn't say what part of the clutch, but he sells all the components.)   http://wildrickrestorations.com/hudson-wet-clutch-parts.html     

If you were even remotely interested in switching over to an overdrive transmission in the future, you would want to consider installing the larger 10" clutch rather than repairing the 9"..

Also: which spring is broken?  You may need to be a bit specific.  If it's for Drivemaster, someone may have one lying around to sell, but they may not be acquainted with Drivemaster, so wouldn't know they had it.
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Hi thanks Jon B I need the clutch disc plate with the little round cork inserts. The spring that is broken is on that same plate two other springs are badly worn.
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Also I have this hudson porcilain neon sign that I aquire from a purchase of a car anyone know if this is vintage or new replica?? Sorry for the bad picture I will post another one tomorrow its actually in very good conditions and actually works.
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Here is a better pic of the Hudson sign
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    edited June 2016
    Sorry for some reason I am having trouble posting pics
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Here are some pics of my 212 six motor and the Hudson motor sign
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2016
    Well, you can attempt to find the correct springs and maybe cut up some wine bottle corks, but personally I'd just buy one outright!  Like I say, there are people who do this for a living!

The sign is a modern-day "fantasy" sign: it blends elements of the old Hudson triangle combined with modern typeface and housing.
  • Comm6
    Comm6 Expert Adviser
    Thanks again Jon B I am purchasing one from wildrick. I Baught the 212 block from Melvin Faulk check out some before pics big change and lots of work!!
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    WHY DID YOU PAINT THE CARB ?? 

This discussion has been closed.