Shipping Question

EssexAdv
EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
edited November 2015 in HUDSON
I have to return a set of wheels to the manufacturer for warranty work. I boxed them up, weighed them and checked UPS.com. They want 48.00 per wheel to ship.   Now I haven't shipped anything in many years but this sounds a bit more than the job is worth.  So, any ideas on how to ship a but more economically.   The boxes are 17 * 17 * 14 AND WEIGHT 24# each and there are 4.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lew

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
     Check  FED X and Greyhound Freight Rates. Ive done some larger Items (Fenders) with Greyhound. Lastly, I understand Fastenal takes Pkgs too but have no personal experience with them. (yet)
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    .Check on regular mail service third class mail.
    Just a thought.
  • Fred
    Fred Expert Adviser
    Try Fastenal.com They have a shipping service from one location (near you) to another location (near recipient.) I shipped two hudson engines from Ohio to Michigan and back. Very reasonable.
  • 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    I just sent 4 Stepdown door hinges in Germany. Weight around 10 pounds, small pack as possible.
    from Canada. $148  Don't know how much these very nice hinges are worth, but after that, I was too shy to ask anything for it.  Michel
  • Fastenal doesn't ship from all locations. My area of California is to high priority for them
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't think Hudson will take them back and/or do any kind of work on them, Lew.  Sorry.  Oh, and most assuredly, they are no longer under warranty.  
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Lew, 

Strap all four boxes together so it's one package.  17 X 17 X 56.  One package, 100#.  Compare that cost. UPS takes packages up to 150#.  Should be a substantial difference than shipping four individual packages.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    If they are a return for warranty work, and are the manufacturers fault, make them pay for return shipping, and ask for a call tag.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Check with this company to see if they can get you a reasonable rate.  As said above, strap them together and make it one 100lb package

• EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member

Thanks for all the ideas.   I contacted the company and they sent me a shipping label at their cost. .  I strapped them together, and sent the bulk via UPS.  Quite a savings. 

Thanks

Lew

This discussion has been closed.