Trunk key lock

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
For a long time my trunk key and handle would perform as intended.  Then it became a matter of hit and miss, sometimes the key would disengage the handle so that when you hit the right spot, the handle would lift (without the trunk opening) as it was designed to do.  Other times, the trunk would open even if the key was in the locked position.  Now, no matter what, the key doesn't disengage the handle.  What's the solution?  

Comments

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I forgot to mention it's a 48 Commodore with the long horizontal handle.  I have a vertical handle from a Super that I don't have a key for.  If needed, can the lock parts from the Super handle replace the lock mechanism from the Commodore?  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I remove the lock and take it and key to
    Locksmith when they fail to operate properly.
  • Jason, Does the entire lock mechanism spin around without doing anything? If so you may have discovered the weakness on those locks. There is a very thin line of die cast that has a tendency to break off and cause the lock to spin and not function. 48-9 Commodores had that problem in addition to the trunk base breaking problem. As has  been suggested a good locksmith may be able to replace your lock cylinder. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks guys.  I will take it to a locksmith next week.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    My lock sat on the back counter at the locksmith's for a week.  I finally went in to check on it and the older guy that knew how to remove the cylinder did so and showed me where the cylinder pegs(?) were worn to the point that they weren't functioning properly. I asked if replacing the cylinder was a viable option and he said he doubted it.  In any event, he didn't have a cylinder that he thought would fit it anyway.  He made me a new key and it worked better than the old key in that it worked sporadically instead of not at all.  I told him that I had a lock from a 48 Super and asked if he could use it as a donor for the cylinder from the Commodore.  He's not familiar with the different design but is willing to try. Anyone know if this plan will work? 
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited November 2015
    Jason-

That's a bit of a tough one, I agree.  However, there are NOS (meaning not worn-out) cylinders and keys out there.  Many of the cylinders that Hudson used were not indigenous to them, and in fact were used by many other auto manufacturers.  One option would be to source a new lock assembly and have a key cut to fit the NOS unit. 

Another option is to replace the "pegs" or lock plates (actual term), because that is the main part that is worn out.  They should be brass.  They work best used with brass keys, but still wear out over time.  Trouble is, most keys get replaced by examples that are NOT brass, but steel, which is harder than brass and then the metal keys wear out the cylinders at a much faster rate.  Regardless, 60+ year-old locks are mostly worn out one way or another.  Doug Wildrick actually had a quite a few of these replacements that were originals from Hudson locks.  Might want to touch base with WR.  

You are on the right track in finding the older locksmiths, who typically know how to re-build the locks and some even have stores of the old parts on hand.  I'll regale a story in a subsequent post about the locks in my car (the forum has been pretty slow, lately with stories).  
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I beleive the lock cylinder from the Commodore that was mentioned above would be adaptable to the Super trunk handle.
  • RL Chilton
    edited November 2015
    For those that don't know, when I restored my latest car, I actually started with some hard parts in bad shape and little else.  Certainly, all of the locks for ignition, doors, glove box and deck lid had to be sourced.  As time went by, I kept adding various lock assemblies to my "collection", which came from Regionals, Nationals, the odd swap meet and a few Hudson part collections I bought through the years.  The goal, of course was to have the car set up like it came from the factory, which not only included using original-styled parts, but also to have the two original-styled keys where one operated the ignition and doors and the other operated the glovebox and deck lid.  I reasoned that the more individual cylinders and lock assemblies I had (at least that fit the later step downs), the more likely I could convert those parts to one complete set.  Along the way, I managed to find a couple NOS cylinders for the doors.  

Eventually, I got enough of an education to learn how it all works, what exactly I needed for my car and when the time came to put it all together, I still figured I wanted a knowledgeable locksmith to help me make sure I got it all squared away.  That meant, an older locksmith, from a well-worn establishment.  Some place that had been in business for a long time with a locksmith that had been there for a long time would fit the bill nicely and I had the perfect place picked out in town.  

J. Ross Boles was just an established place that specialized as a locksmith and safe restorer/seller/fixer.  They had been in their current location for at least the last 40 years that I could remember.  I had done some business with them in the past, but knew that the main locksmith on hand had also been there for decades.  Not like any of that might have mattered when dealing with 60+ year old parts, but I thought the chances were better to find the appropriate help, anyway.  

I wasn't disappointed, either.  That old locksmith knew exactly what to do, what I wanted and was willing to do it, even though, "My head might have forgotten some tricks, but my hands certainly haven't forgotten," he told me.  "Come back tomorrow and I should have it all ready to go", he added.  

Now that part basically wasn't really worth re-telling, but here is where the story gets better.  Upon my return the following day, he was good to his word and I had all five locks ready to install, very nearly completely new assemblies just like a worker would have picked them up out of the bins at the factory, and all keyed properly with brand new brass keys (that I had found as blanks).  I think that old locksmith was pretty tickled that he got to help me with the Hudson, because he told me, "You know I collect old key blanks, have for years.  I might have some that you would be interested in." 

He took me to his back office and in one of many drawers, he started thumbing through an assortment of several small envelopes.  Behind the desk, was a huge pegboard on the wall loaded to the gills with blank keys of all configurations.  Momentarily, I got an "AHA!" and he selected one of the envelopes and handed it to me and asked me if I recognized them.  I did, and told him that they were promotional keys given to people by service stations to customers who bought an oil change, or had their car serviced with them, etc.  This particular set of keys was from a Mobil station and the ignition key has an enameled porcelain in red,white and blue of the Mobil mascot, the Pegasus.  And, they were made for Hudsons.  I marvelled for a moment and went to hand them back, but he wanted to sell them to me if I wanted them, as he had several sets (I quickly bought two sets).  

As we went back out into the main office and he was starting to prepare to cut my new (very cool) keys, he said, "It's really ironic that you came here of all places to get your Hudson keys made."

"Why is that?", I nonchalantly inquired.  

"Because this building used to be a Hudson Dealership", he announced.

"Nah, I don't think so, we know where all the dealerships here in town were located and 606 Broadway is not one of them."

He quickly pointed out the ramp that went up to the back door, the two picture wiindows where just two cars could have been placed up front, etc.  I thought, yeah, maybe SOME kind of car dealership, but most likely not Hudson.  But, I was intrigued and set about doing some research.  Before long, evidence came our way, and sure enough, before J Ross moved in there, it was, in fact a small Hudson dealership, towards the edge of downtown, at least in the 40's.  

So, ironically, my locks were re-keyed and my newest set of keys, which had never been used, were acquired at the local Hudson dealership.  Later, I took them the following so that they could display it if they wished:

• RL Chilton
    A shot of the keys:

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Now those are way cool!
    And a great story,
    Thanks for sharing!

Jeff
  • Russell,

Thanks for sharing the story. cool keys!

Rob
This discussion has been closed.