Air Filter

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Where do I find a new air filter for my 1950 Pacemaker?  I've looked online and asked a few local parts stores but no luck.

The one in there now is about 8" outside diameter, 6 1/2" inside diameter and 1 1/2" tall but I think I could go +/- at least 1/4" on any of those dimensions.

Thanks

Comments

• Chris, If you don't have any luck with your air filter, you may wish to get an oil bath filter for your Pacemaker. if so, I have several. I'd be happy to sell you one if you desire.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Parts houses all have dimensional charts in their catalogs and many /all are also online.  Suggest you look for Wix brand sold at O'Reilly and as NAPA "Gold" line.  You can get exactly what you are looking for.   Since your car has a paper element air cleaner on it now, the unit is not original.  Paper filters arrived in the US auto industry in the mid-50s when Purolator worked with Chrysler racer Carl Kiekhaefer to develop them because oil baths were grossly inadequate on a dirt race track.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited October 2015

Lance - that is my back up plan. Thanks for the offer but I already have one from my parts car.

StillOutThere - Thanks.  I've been looking but haven't found anything that will fit - yet.  After not finding anything on line, I went to NAPA yesterday in hopes that they would have a better resource but they struck out as well.  I was hoping someone else had already found something.

To clarify, the current filter is not a paper element.  It is apparently what's referred to in the owner's manual as the 'oil wetted type' which was standard equipment. The oil bath air cleaner was optional.  Apparently, it was sort of similar to the current K&N type filters.  According to the manual, you were supposed to remove it every 2000 miles and soak it in kersene to clean it.  Then, you were supposed to dip it in engine oil, let the excess drip off and reinstall it. 

The one I have may or may not be original but it is falling apart. I'm afraid the little bits that are coming out of it are worse than no air filter at all.  I was hoping that a modern filter would be a simple replacement but I'm not having any luck finding one.

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Chris-

Do a search for filters.  I think NAPA has a site and certainly K&N where you can put in the sizes you need and then it tells you which model #'s you can use.  Then cross-over charts work for what brand you want.  I did that when I wanted K&N's for my oil baths.  
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

A few pictures of the current 'filter'.  Original?  Don't know but it's been there since at least 1973.

I think it's pretty obvious why I want to replace it.

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Yes, that looks original, at least original-style.  The usual method was to soak them in gasoline and then blow them dry and then put some light oil in it.  
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser

Chris

Looks just like mine and looks similar condition which looks fine. With it sitting on the base and the lid on leaves just the outer visible which is right. Cleaned and reoiled does the job well.

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

My worry is that it's falling part.  Little bits of the inner material keep coming loose and I'm afraid they'll find their way into the carb, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a filter in the first place.

Since I still haven't found a replacement, I'm thinking maybe I can wrap the inner ring with some kind of screen to keep any debris contained.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Wrap the whole filter in screen and you are good to go
This discussion has been closed.