1947 Hudson pick-up ( Uncle Josh?)

54SuperWasp
54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
Hi all, and this one's for you uncle Josh. I have a lead for a 1947 Hudson pick-up, all restored, in number 1 condition. I have to drive 5 hours to see it but, at least, I was able to get a picture. I know what to check for a stepdown ( for ex: perimeter frame) but for this one, I might need some advice. I will check the paint, frame, engine ( by the way, were these pick-up using the same motor as the cars?). I think the guy who restored it at the time put more luxuous trims
( from a Commodore?). I 've checked in my books but there are more info about the cars and not the trucks). And know, the big question: What would be the maximum price to pay? Maybe an arm and a leg, but if I can save one of these...And, finally, I'll have to drive it. I know a good stepdown can handle like a Cadillac when properly fixed. What about a truck? This will influence a lot the decision according to the price. Thanks to all who can give me some hints. I'm going tomorrow ( Sunday) cause I'll meet the owner on Monday morning at 8H00. Michel P.S.

Comments

• Michael,

I'm far from an expert, but the trucks I've had a chance to see and sit in are designed for short people who like to sit straight up...

Rob
  • 54SuperWasp
    I used to be 5'10'' and a half, With the aging, I'm 5'10 now... This might help for the future... Another reason to sit in it and drive it before! Thanks! Michel
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Looks good from the pic.  Rust issues on these are usually at the kickup in the frame in front of the wheels.

These things actually handle as good or better than the cars due to the longer wheel-base.  They ride rather like a truck 'duh' if they have the original 12-leaf springs in the back.

I'm 6' and 170 and have no trouble fitting in mine.  The original seat-backs were some 6 or 8 inches thick.  that can be reduced to a couple of inches at the top for more room.

Original engine was the 212 splasher 6 which is plenty of power.  Overdrive would be nice or a 3.56 rear end from a stepdown automatic.   16 inch wheels are a plus

If it's as nice as it looks, it's worth 12-15K in my opinion.

• 54SuperWasp
    Thanks Uncle Josh,

Very interesting  infos that I was not sure of. So, 15K would be the max to pay even for a number 1 resto?
    I'm afraid it will be more, in Canadian money. 25K means 19K in US. My heartbeat should decide for me..

Thanks again,  Michel Tomorrow morning at 8H00 I'll be there.

P.S. Can it run 60mph like a stepdown? ( probably again with an overdrive or a 3,56).
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Uncle Josh
    I thought the step down rear end width was too narrow to fit the PU, or are you referring to just the gear set?
    Lee O'Dell
  • Uncle Josh

Just change the punkin..  Hudson type only to early/mid 52

Price depends on how bad you want it.  Takes a lot of time and money to get them to that state

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Nice looking truck, Michel.  I don't think I would have a problem at 19K if it's as nice as it looks.  Let us know how it turned out.  
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2015

As stated, it looks like a very nice truck.  The O/D & rear end gear ratio are great options and sought after for  all pickups.

It would not be a #1 (or #2) with any rust issues, however as Josh indicates - the  base of the kick-up in the frame is the spot where it rusts, just in front of the rear wheels.

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, rain on the parade, etc...  I have seen a lot of 46-47 Hudson Pickups go thru auction in the last few years, and if the truck is a legitimate #1 - IMO you won't touch it for much under $25-28K (if that)...

Addendum - Would this be the one you are going to look at? http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/158905/1947-hudson-pu-for-sale-in-quebec

If that is 'the one', it could be that the three or so years passing may have provided some incentive to lower his price (?).  Or...

• 54SuperWasp
    Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies. Just came back from my 5 hours drive. S/N 17879639 That's what I'm able to read when I get the picture bigger cause I had forgotten my lamp... Overall it's very nice. There are 12-leaf springs in the back ( as stated by Uncle Josh). I thought the engine would have been nicer. Could use some paint. When the truck was for sale a few years ago ( thanks Rick, I did not remember I had translate the details from an add),
    the owner was still living and he wanted some 26K at the time. When he past away, his son called the guy who owns it now and he got it for 23K. This morning it was rainin like hell and I did not want to ask him for a ride. The new owner used only once last summer because he is working very hard and had no time to use it. That truck could use some grease and the usual tune-up. i heard the engine turn but it did not start. Would have needed some gas in the carb and I'm sure it would not have been a problem. Another question: the tail gate. very nice but I was wondering if the letters should be embossed? Because now, as you can see, these are decals. ( Unless it is supposed to be this way, I don't know but I'm quite sure it should be embossed).
    The actual owner went in Ypsilanti at the Museum and somebody there showed him a 47 pick-up ( shown in the biography of Mr. Hostetler) and told him it was paid 50K. That's why he can be stiff on the price. he told me there was only one registered in Canada. I told him I saw another one in Ontario and Uncle Josh can probably tell me there are a lot in the USA.. Another problem:The truck is registered in his company's name, meaning that there would be 2 taxes ( around 15% total) instead of one as the Québec law stated. Just to say that we are a few thousands apart. The best way for him to know the value would be to put it for sale and see what would happen then. And I checked, these are 16 inches tires. If I had deeper pockets, I would not mind pay extra money. I'll try to sleep tonite... A real fact, sometimes, when it's too nice, you don't have as much fun as Uncle Josh seems to have with his trucks. Michel P.S. If it ever go localy or on Ebay, I will tell you.
  • Michael,

... it sounds like there are some issues...

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, you are going to pass?
    If not, think hard about those problems.
    Paint, engine, greasing, tailgate, what else might need "a little work" and ask yourself; if the truck is so valuable, and the price is so high, why aren't all these things already done?

Rob
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Took a look at the pictures - I would say it is a #3, i.e., a 'driver' - and that's only if it will start, run, and stop reliably.

Value (again, if it can be shown to start, run, and stop) - I would say between $12K-$18K...

• Uncle Josh
    If you're looking for a truck, I'm the registrar and may have a lead in your area from owners who have dropped out of the club.  HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com, and drop the HET
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I agree with Rick, price-wise.  I'm also a little surprised it wasn't at least dusted off if the seller had someone coming so far to see it to possibly buy it.  
  • 54SuperWasp
    You guessed right, I'm gonna pass. I told him he should drive it more often so he could correct everything before trying to sell it. Thanks for your comments. Larry, I'mwriting you right away. Michel
  • stbryson
    stbryson Senior Contributor
    Hello,

The inner fender wells on the bed aren't right, are they?  It seems like there are a lot of non-original changes, which are fine if that is what someone wants.

Take care,

Steve Bryson
  • Lee ODell
    Michel
    You are right the tail gate HUDSON letters should be embossed. To bad you didn't get to see it run and drive it after going so far to see it.

Steve
    Yes, fender wells are wrong and the radio antenna is on the wrong side. Also, PU's had different front bumpers and did not come with car bumpers, the original bed wood and trim strips were black and the seams of two piece rear fenders has been filled.

Although not original it is a very good looking truck. I like it.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    Michel
    Do you have a name to go with the SN# 17879639 so I can add it to my SN# list I have made with SN's in numerical order. Trying to find how many SN/s are back to back.
    Thank you
    Lee O'Dell
  • 54SuperWasp
    Even if it was far away, the trip was worth it, following the St-Lawrence river. I spent around $250 in gas, hotel and meals but I prefer doing this than buying without seeing...As you say, some accessories are from a car but are quite nice on the truck. And what I like with you guys,is that you can ',scan'' a HET product quite easily.
    Thanks again  Michel 
    P.S. Lee, I sent you a PM.
  • So far, I think this has been a story with a happy ending.  I admire someone showing a bit of restraint (more than I often have).
    Hope the fellow gets his truck sold for a price he is happy with...k

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    I agree with Rick, price-wise.  I'm also a little surprised it wasn't at least dusted off if the seller had someone coming so far to see it to possibly buy it.  

I did notice the other items (bed, tailgate, etc.), but was at work so just left a 'quick & short' reply.  Those items and the overall condition (leaking engine (? - take note the stained engine paint); non-standard modifications, etc.,) means that unless some work is done ($$), it shouldn't be anything more than a #3. 
    Even though the tailgate and bed are not fully original, it does look very nice - and if it was dusted, washed/cleaned, waxed, tuned-up and running it would have made a much better overall impression. 
    And - Glen is still selling the repro tailgates with 'Hudson' stamping/embossing (I bought one a couple of weeks ago from him, and they are available - contact him directly).

This discussion has been closed.