Hydramatic question

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
After replacing a very leaky rear seal, I added transmission fluid. When cold, it reads well above the full lever, which the book says it should. However when hot it barely measured on dip stick. I added 1 and a half quartsof fluid, and still doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas how much more fluid is
needed ? Or could there be an internal problem?
Thanks,
John

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2015
    FYI

I wouldnt think sny internal problem if just replaced the rear seal. Ensure the transmission is really warmed up before adding more fluid. (Sometimes its difficult to see the actual fluid mark on the stick)..
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Was the Torus full before the leak repair? I am guessing the fluid is being pumped into th torus to correct low level?.?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    PLEASE jack up the rear wheels or apply e brake very hard when putting in tranny fluid. Our car took off forward and bent in a little bit of rad support .Lucky I was not standing in front.

Hudsonly   Ray
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    John-

Ironically, it holds 11 qts., which was a surprise to me.  Of course, that doesn't help you, if you don't know how much is in it to begin with.  This is of course, in a copletely drained tranny.  So, yes . . . it holds a lot!  Keep going until you can see it on the dipstick while car is running.  
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    PLEASE jack up the rear wheels or apply e brake very hard when putting in tranny fluid. Our car took off forward and bent in a little bit of rad support .Lucky I was not standing in front.

Hudsonly   Ray
    And block the wheels.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    And someone inside car with foot pushing on brake pedal.
    Lee O'Dell
  • JFromm
    JFromm Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the insight. I will add more fluid until I get a good reading. T hanks for the safety tips.
    John
  • I inadvertently discovered another idiosyncrasy (wow, two twenty-five centers in one sentence!) if the fluid level is run too low. On the trip to Colorado, I had to back up for a distance so, of course, was in reverse.....also the lever position for "Park" when the engine isn't running (no hydraulic pressure). When the engine is running, the front pump supplies pressure to the system, thus applying pressure to the mechanism that locks-out the park pawl so you can go backward. If the oil level is too low and the oil is being aerated as a result, the parking pawl will engage while you are going backward! I'm very lucky I didn't break an axle or tear the parking pawl mechanism apart. Quite a shock. There may be other aggravating factors, such as excessive oil clearance somewhere causing a low pressure, but it's something to be aware of.

Frank

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    KenU exactly what happened to me.What a feeling trying to pull on the car that I have owned for 15 years going ahead and no time to react on how to stop it.  Hudsonly  Ray
This discussion has been closed.