NOS Radiator for 49' Super Six ??

I am trying to revive a '49 Super Six sedan that has in a barn for 50 years.  The radiator is bad and not restorable,  Are there any NOS radiators available anywhere?  I see that Auto City Classic sells new Aluminum ones... do they look original?  I want to restore to completely original condition.  Any advice on how to acquire a radiator would be appreciated.

Comments

• Don't be swayed by the idea of an NOS radiator. If it has not been filled with fluid for X number of years, then  likely it has corroded and has pin holes. This was told to me by a guy who professionally rebuilds radiators (yep a few guy like him are still around)   If you have a radiator that you want then put antifreeze in when you store it.    Right now I own a beautiful 37 Terraplane radiator that had been recored at some point in the 1980's. It was stored dry. I recently aquired it and yep, it has pinholes. If the tanks on your old radiator are good you may just want to go ahead and recore it. If not , you can go the MoPar route with a Dodge  van radiator.

• hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    A few years ago I tried replacing my radiator with a Dodge radiator from NAPA. Unfortunately the ones I tried were cheap china made garbage. I ended up have a custom radiator made by Walker Radiator Works. It wasn't cheap. It slipped right in place a bolted right up. Also has a 10 year warranty. Here is their web address.

http://walkerradiatorworks.com/

The original radiator was recored about 5 years earlier and didn't last.
  • Why is your radiator not restorable?  Is it leakage, or is it lack of flow?

Per
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    I agree for originality  just recore your stock '49 radiator at a local Radiator Shop.  An aluminum radiator dont look stock. .

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Agree with Ol Racer-100%.  
This discussion has been closed.