Interchange List

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November 2015 in HUDSON
FYI

Trying to Attached and share a Hudson Parts Interchange List that ive compiled over the years
from other Forum Members Posting & Websites. Its not perfect and some Info may be outdated but better than no Info.

Comments

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Thanks!  I'm getting my son involved in creating and updatable digital interchange library, and will certainly use this and other lists as a starting point.  Much appreciated!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Hi David,

I'd be interested in linking that into the library in some way so perhaps you can let me know how it goes?

Paul

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    David
    I commend you for taking on this project. You saw a need and stepped up to the plate. I saw a list several years ago that was propably 30 - 40 years old then and for the most part useless because most parts were no longer available or very hard to find.

Ol racer
    Thank you for your list. Saw some information I can put to use for immediate need.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2015

Hi David,

I'd be interested in linking that into the library in some way so perhaps you can let me know how it goes?

Paul

A copy of the Backus parts manual - old but the part numbers are good when used with cross reference material or when swap meet buying - is located on my website.  Also a page which is regularly updated with current part numbers. If anyone has new part numbers and/or interchanges which are tested and work - I am happy to add to my webpage listings.

The folks who ferret these part number interchanges out are to be thanked as Ol racer has done on his sheets.

http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  check the front page for links.
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Most of this Information came from Members Postings on the old Forum where I would make a note of something I wanted to retain. Recently I put all the notes together then printed for easy availability. If attachment is difficult to read send me an email cv.cars@verizon.net then I will forward the pages.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ol' Racer (and Paul Butler):

Would there be any way for this document to be assigned a place at the H-E-T Club site (if Ol' Racer wouldn't mind) in a place where it could constantly be added to and revised by Hudson enthusiasts?  Maybe like Wikopedia.  Or possibly with an "editor" who would review suggestions by others, then post the interchange updates that he / she deemed to be correct?

This is a fine interchange list but as we all know, these are "living" documents that are constantly being improved, and they're partly obsolete the moment they're published.

This would be one of the BIG services the Club could provide (with the help of folks like the Ol' Racer) to members and non-members alike.  Depending upon how people felt, this interchange webpage (though on the H-E-T site) could remain visible to the public.  And in this way the Club would be fulfilling its mission to preserve the great cars built by Hudson.

Maybe someone (who is reading this) could step up to the plate. He or she could act as editor, receive e-mailed suggestions for other interchanges, and -- maybe every month or every six months -- contact Paul, who could then update the interchange site. 

There are so few people volunteering to do so much to help their fellow Hudson owners, already.  They're really getting maxed out and could use some help!
  • Ol racer
    edited September 2015
    FYI

Do anything you want with this Info. Im sure other Forum Members may have Information to insert as well if an attachment were available to update.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Jon: the fact this information does not exist on a HET web site does not make it less useful. In the 16+ years my website has been free to all it logs an average of 25 new visitors a day. Of those who visit most go to the interchange pages. I have the ability to track page visits. I do know from email, those who initially visit have NO knowledge of the HET Club. Why. They find sites like mine when searching for Hudson parts and maintenance assistance. I guess I am disappointed you ignored my post stating I up date the interchange information regularly. Previously my site was plagiarized to create another and I decided to make it non
    Public for a year. But I found that those who benefited were the ones hurt, not the plagiarizers, so the site is back with some controls. You might note that even your several page replacement parts website is linked from my website along with HET Club membership information. I suggest that recreating for the sake of calling it Club available...disrespects those who already provide the service!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Glad your site is back!  It's very helpful.  I'm confused why it hasn't been given a link at the HET site, so even more people would know about it.  A direct link to your interchange pages would be especially helpful for the Club to provide.

I did fail to see the link to your page, above. Sorry I missed that.

I hope that people will be motivated to give you feedback on parts interchanges so you can add it to your webpage.  It will also be nice if they contribute interchanges on cars earlier and later than StepDowns.   StepDowns may be the most pervasive models still around, but there are a few of us troglodytes out here, still driving earlier ones!
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser

I am so glad, and so sorry that I opened this can of worms. I know many contributors personally, and some I never heard of before, but all have had many great discoveries. We all have benefit from the practice of using our own judgment, weather or not to use OEM, NOS, rebuilds, or even aftermarket parts. So why not the choice of using brand new parts [BNP], so (I made it up), meant for other cars, but will work just fine in Hudson cars.

For some, keeping the cost down so we can enjoy our cars without going into debt, is more important than keeping the club store or WTN advertisers in business, or not contaminating our cars with inferior parts that are bound to fail since they are not HUDSON. For Example: The engine mounts used by some, which are square, not round and have different added shapes welded to them which serve no purpose for a Hudson, could be even better, since the durometer of the rubber is better suited for our heavy engines than the original mounts.

So I feel it is up to us if we want to have some NOT HUDSON parts under our hood to keep our cars running, and save a buck or two. In the case of the mounts they are approx. $4.00 to $8.00, that's a pair! Oh sure, It's is not good for the WTN suppliers, but that is how American free enterprise and healthy competition works. Many years ago, I put a scientific chemical breakdown of the Hudson Clutch Compound on the list. HOW TO MAKE IT AT HOME. I was bashed for ruining the sales of aftermarket fluid that our club sold. Another said I was asking for a law suit, should clutches started burning up and catching fire, since I was not a fluids scientist and had no business telling our members that this stuff works. Like the ATF many have been using for years, you use anything in your car at your own risk, even the clubs clutch fluid, which is great stuff, like many other things they sell. So I am sorry I brought this topic up again, but to make it up to any nay sayers, I will volunteer to be the one to keep the updates added 4 times a year, should we decide to add this valuable asset to our club library. Best regards. Your 68 year old Hudson technical, and many time racer over the past 50 years. Bobby The Wrench, Aman, and my Dad before me.

• Ol racer
    FYI

Just a thought that It would be kind of nice to have a central place to access & insert parts that Forum Member's discover when updating their Hudson's.

Ive posted some things previously that are forever lost now. One that comes to mind is that an early '80's Chevy S10 seat practicly bolts into a '46- '47 Truck. The Seat flips forward like an original seat and can utilize the Belts & Harness.

Another Idea is that an inexpensive JC Whitney Wiper 6V or 12V Motor can be adapted to replace the old vacume wiper unit in a couple hrs using a 1x1x1/8" angle for a bracket, then thread on the Hudson  'cross Link', and install an Intermittent switch.

'Somewhere' there's a Tips on modifying an oil pump for 'full flow' filtering and some water pump tips to enhance cooling between cyl's and the best Copper Water Jacket Tube to utilize.. I belive Rudy Bennett gets the Nod on those tips.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    We have, in the online library, a Technical Tips and Replacements Parts booklet.  Go to the Alex Burr's online library.  Then click on Other H-E-T Literature, then on General.  For quick access click on "T".   There is also, next to it, an incomplete Thompson catalog with parts listed for 1936-1938 Terraplane and 1937-1941 Hudson.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • Ol racer
    Alex,
    Thank you for the reminder on accessing the Tech Library...Chuck
  • DavidC
    Hey all, no problem.  I want this to be comprehensive, updatable, and inclusive of all years.  Will start with current sources and then invite all to contribute.
  • DavidC
    I have benefitted from many parts interchanges published by other club members, and I thank all of you.
  • DavidC

Oldfarmer your site has been very helpful to me and I thank you personally.  What I'm looking to do is find the right program/database to allow links, personal comments. POCs, etc.  I need my son who is into computer programming to come up with the right one.  Also, looking to expand to all Hudson years.

Hudsonly, and respectfully,

Dave C

• DavidC
    My aim for this database is to have it readily searchable like the rockauto website, for example.  The idea is you put in year, make, model, engine, etc, and you get a searchable list of parts by category.  The parts can be listed in 3 columns; NOS/original, reproduction, or modern replacement/modification.  And again, want to include all years.  My son is the expert, so I'll be counting on him to get it up and running.  Does anyone see a problem if I use Google Spreadsheet for this, as far as linking with HET?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Our president and webmaster, Aaron Cooper, would be able to answer that.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

David,

There should be no problem in linking across to your spread sheet at all from the website ; we have a few links in there.

Be interested to see how it develops so if you want to send an initial link when you have it running I can add it into our test website and see how it looks / performs from there

• DavidC
    Good plan, Paul
  • Someone might need to check the HET Facebook, stuff posted there often.
    Ed Petersen just posted this on HET Facebook-- Things do need to be in one central place? This also fits a '53 and probably earlier. Expensive but looks better than a semi-circle !!

This discussion has been closed.