Help a brother out!

Nevada Hudson
Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

Dwayne is registered for the National and already paid for his room. His '50 Commodore 6 is up on blocks and needs a rear pinion seal # National 6487

He lives in Colorado, 80 miles from the National. Phone # (720) 660-2004

Help a brother out!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    There is, indeed, a good chance that the seal is for sale somewhere at the National.  The problem then is how to get it to Dwayne.  Fastest way would be for Dwayne to drive to the meet (assuming someone verifies that the part is there), enjoy a day of it, get the part, stay at his room overnight, then drive home the next day to replace the seal.  (And return to the meet the following day). 

Otherwise we're talking about "overnighting" it to Dwayne, who will then miss a full day of the meet, waiting.
  • shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    For my 51 Hornet, I took the leather spring pinion seal to the local vendor at Duncan, Ok. and he pulled a neo prean seal off the shelve that matched the size and still working good after 20 + years
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member

Rock Island lists the following for pinion seal; It might be easier to find with a current number

Lew Mendenhall

NATIONAL 5778      Nitrile Material
    Rear Outer; Nitrile Material; Spicer 44; 8.5" R.G.
    Previous ImagePart ImageNext Image
    $9.47

NATIONAL 5778V      Viton Material
    Rear Outer; Viton Material; Spicer 44; 8.5" R.G.

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Dwayne! Fill 'er up, make sure the vent on the upper left side of the rear end isn't plugged up, put a diaper on it, take some gear lube with you, check it every few miles and make a run for it. 
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Dwayne told me he doesn't know anything about computers, so I take it he does not own one. Hopefully , by now someone has called him and helped him out, as the meet is almost over. I have been camping in the Sierras the last 4 days and just returned, so hope he was taken care of.
  • NATIONAL 5778 is incorrect for a pre-52 pinion seal. It is for a Spicer/Dana 44, not the 1948-early 1952 Hudson rear end. I thought I would correct the record because Rock Auto's incorrect posting cost me a bit of money (eat the cost of shipping it back or keep it as a loss).

This issue also occurs with the carrier bearing which Rock Auto confuses the 88506 for the 1951 Pacemaker driveshaft with the 88107 for the 1951 Super 6, Commodore, and Hornet driveshaft.
This discussion has been closed.