Newbie from France

minorico
minorico Member
edited July 2015 in HUDSON

hi all

I'm Dom,55 years old,living in France and curently owner of a 63 Buick,it's my third Buick after a 66 electra and a 68 Wildcat coupe,so can we say that i'm a Buick enthusiast...........but ,and that why you see me coming here ,i also share my passion of Américan cars with Hudson and especially models like commodore . i'm on to visit a 1949 Commodore club coupe in 6 cylinder  during my holidays in august and i wish me closer from brand entusiasts to help me in looking what can be good and bad in this car before,i hope, make the deal and bring it to my home....i hope you understand my poor English,i do my best  to make fewer errors,with my friend "Google translator".....let me now if not

thanks for adding me in your community

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Welcome aboard Dom; Google seems to have done a good on helping you out!

Good to have you on board.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here. There are a few 1949 Owners in the club and I'm sure they will be happy to share their knowledge with you.

Tell us a little more about the car and post pictures when you can; pictures are always welcome!

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum'

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Hi Dom and Welcome!
     I think the biggest single thing to look for in a Hudson is the perimeter frame condition. If rusty it can be a lot of work to properly fix. It is fixable and has been done many times, but figure that into the cost if you are looking at one to buy. Make sure you get the car up on a lift and inspect the underneath sub-frame and Perimeter frame around the rear wheels and rear bumper for rusted out areas, don't worry so much about surface rust, that is on the outside and is easy to take care of.
     Look at the engine number located on the passenger side- front corner of the engine block and compare that number to the one located on the passenger side A pillar or front door post plaque. They should match, if not, post the number here and the forum guys can help you convert the number for year of manufacture.  If possible, take pictures of the underneath and outer lower body panels, engine compartment plus the rest of the car and post on an on-line album like photobucket where you can share the photo's and we can see them. That will tell us a lot and give us a better guess as to condition. Check the trunk and floor pans to see how solid they are.
     Of course, mechanically Hudson's are a little different then other cars. Is it a drivable car? Are you able to drive and shift it? What condition is the brake system in? Does it stay cool after driving and getting up to temperature?  Does it shift and go thru the gears okay?
    Let us know!!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Bienvenue, Dom!

J'espère que nous pourrons répondre à vos questions !
  • Per
    Per Member
    Dom,

J'ai une 1949 Commodore avec six cylindres!

Per
  • well,the answer is very fast here,thanks all for the welcome

Per & Jon you speak french pretty good ,are you french?

concerning the car ,all i know at this time is what i said previously ,it's located 500 miles from me and i plan to visit it around august 15th during a Holiday week .her are pics the owner send to me

already my first questions: the owner said that it's 3 speed manual with overdrive ,is it common for that type or optionnal ?

the front and rear bumper are wearing  big plated guards that that look like a police pursuit bumper ,original or after market ?

thanks again for the help

a.png 255.9K
    g.png 311.8K
    e.png 267.3K
    f.png 274.3K
    d.png 252.1K
    c.png 294.2K
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    minorico

You write good English. Sorry I don't know French. My best friend and spent a week there when we graduated from high school.

That car is beautiful. Better grab it before someone else buys it.The tall bumper guards are Hudson option. You will need to be careful because if someone's car bumper is taller and bump it from behind the tall bumper guards may bend into the trunk or if someone backs into the front, will bumper guards may bend back into hood or grill. I almost bought a set of those tall bumper guards but changed my mind when I was told what could happen. I do like the looks of them.

The 3 speed trans is standard equipment, the overdrive is option.

I like the looks of the car very much. Very pretty color blue. Good luck buying the car. It is much better looking than my Hudson.

Welcome to the Hudson family,
    Lee O'Dell
  • thanks Lee,

yes the car is looking good but you know as me that sometimes the beauty wear a beautiful dress on a ugly undercarriagge........that's why i preffer go and see it before let my heart beating to much...

aniway ,the car is for sale since a year,it will probably wait for me on more month....i hope  ;))

is that blue color an original paint code for that year ?

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Hi minorico,

I apologies, I didn't mean to suggest buying it without checking it out. All the areas Kerry mentioned to check are very good reasons to look it over especially since it has been on the market for a year. I hope it checks out as good as it looks. See if you will be permitted to take it for a 50 mile run on the freeway to see how it handles, no overheating, the oil pressure remains around 40 psi., clutch, transmission, overdrive and brakes work good. When you get back check under car to see if you have any engine, transmission or rear end oil leaks that may have been washed away before inspecting the car. A rear main seal oil leak is expensive to replace if you have to pay someone to replace it. Time consuming but not expensive to do yourself. I have replaced two oil leaking rear main seals in two of my engines that looked pretty, that didn't show up driving around the block.
    I truly hope the Hudson will be as good as it looks.

Lee O'Dell
  • no offense ,Lee

thanks for al that good advices,that what i try to do since  i purchase classics cars...i am not a mechanic but after many years owning old cars,i begin to know how to fix  their little default and other issues...

is it difficult to find parts for that car ,or dedicated site on the web ?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited July 2015
    Dom:  No, I am not French, I speak only un peu, but I have Google Translator aussi!

Oui, vous devez faire attention to the undercarriage!  Especially in the region of the rear wheels, which is where these cars can rust badly when exposed to the rain for many years.  As you may know, Hudson had a unitized body and frame and was one of the modern pioneers of this style of building. Nowadays, of course, we know how to construct automobiles in such a way as to prevent rust.  In 1948, this was still a new and unknown technology, however!
  • 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    Bonjour Dom, très belle voiture! Je suis du Québec, à 1H30 de la ville de Montréal et Bienvenue sur ce forum. le meilleur endroit au monde pour avoir l'heure juste! Je vais te trouver un contact en France, un gars qui a acheté
    une Hudson 49 il y a 3 ans environ et qui venait sur ce site. Il s'appelle Pierre Houdry et demeure à Niederbronn Les Bains. Écris-moi à HETjmichel13@hotHETmail.comHET  Tu enlèves les 3 HET et cela va te donner mon adresse courriel. On fait cela ici pour éviter les spams etc.  À+  Michel Compton Québec Canada

I juste welcomed Dom and told him it the Forum was the best place in the world to get it right on Hudson products! I will introduce him to Pierre de France who came here a few years ago. Michel
  • Per
    Per Member
    Dom,

I also am not French, but I read many novels in French to keep in practice.  Therefore I can read well, but you have to speak to me very slowly and simply, since I do not get practice talking with people in French!

Per
  • Hello Michel,merci de ton accueil,Concernant Pierre Houdry ,il ne possède plus la voiture, il l'a revendue dernièrement à une amie à moi ,Julie qui possède déjà une Pontiac Catalina 66,la voiture se trouve donc en Bretagne maintenant ce qui fera deux si par bonheur j'achètes celle ci.........wait and see

Per,i'm the same as you,i read quite well but speak slowly,that why i read "Hemming classic car issues" at home to keep your language in practice.

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Hi Dom, I drive a 49 Commadore I restored.  Feel free to email me at HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com for any questions.  (Remove the HET)
  • Thank you for your proposal ,Josh
  • minorico
    minorico Member
    edited August 2015
    one more week before leaving for holidays and finally see that blue Hudson that make me a little exited....

I will tell you more about it at the end of august......

a question  for you guys: my friend July who bought the pierre oudry Hudson is in trouble with the clutch disc

have you ways to find a new one not to expensive ?

thanks for her

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2015
    Doug Wildrick sells new and repaired clutch parts for Hudsons.  He is in Indiana, USA.  http://wildrickrestorations.com/hudson-wet-clutch-parts.html

I do not know of anyone selling Hudson parts, who is nearer to you.  Except possibly someone in the:

Railton Owners Club (England)  http://railton.org/home
    (you must belong to the Club in order to purchase parts from it).

Svenska Hudsonklubben (Sweden)   http://www.hudsonsweden.org/

• many thanks Jon, i'll transmit those information to july
  • Uncle Josh
    What Hudson is having trouble, what kind, and clutch diameter, 9 or 10 inch
  • it seems to be a 10 inch one,apparently it worked without hudsonnite and deteriorated

july is a young girl (25)  with not to much cash ,working hard to restore her car herself

she saw restored clutch disc at wildrick restoration but the cost of the part and the sending to France is very expensive to her at this moment

we are trying to find another way but nothing yet

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Perhaps one of our Forum members might have a used clutch disc that was too good to throw away, which is in his / her parts bin, and might be willing to send this to July if July paid the postage.  Of course, installing a used clutch is not the most logical thing to do.  Especially when one considers the great amount of time necessary to change the part.  Still, if the choice is between a used part or no part at all....!
  • Uncle Josh

I have several used 10-inch serviceable disks.  I would be willing to send her one for shipping.  Contact me at HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com, and drop the HET

Larry Cramer, aka Uncle Josh

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Dom, please tell us the year of July's Hudson?  You described this car only as the "Pierre Oudry Hudson".  We need to be sure that the clutch disc is the correct one!
  • hy Guys,you are wonderfull,thanks for your generosity,

i 'll give July your proposal

July's Hudson is a 1948,here are some pics of the work in progress,and the legs of July under the car.....
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Dom,

Great to see the "younger" crowd having fun with these old cars as well.

As you can see from the above comments the folks that hang around here like to see these up & running and are always generous with their time and contributions to the cause!

• yes Paul ,it great to see that young and older people can join in the same passion, there is so many example in the daily life people fighting each over...

July is a real passionated and had already put back on the road a 66 Catalina that is also in progress
  • minorico
    minorico Member
    edited August 2015
    Larry ,i transmited you mail to july,she 'll contact you asap.
    thanks again for her

=D>
  • Uncle Josh

Replied to Julie today.

• hi Guys,

holidays went away, it's time to comme back to real life......

so ,as i said before,I was staying not very far from a Hudson 49 that I was promised to see,and i saw..

much to say right now, I would not buy this car for several reasons,and the following pictures will show you why.
    First, after having made an appointment earlier this week, I presented myself on Friday, the reception is cold, the car is not ready, no gas, no battery, the tour starts badly.
    the owner finds finally someone to get the car out of the garage, the car start well after addition of gasoline in the carb. (the owner said me before the car as made several mile few days before, but the mechanical said that the car sat here for a year.............)
    anyways,i turned around the car idling,and how to says? exept the upholstery which seem to be quite new, and the chromes, whole car needs a complete renovation, the frame is covered with a thick layer of coat, which leaves nothing to see its real condition, the engine and the gearbox leak, the wiring beam to dust,dasboard is worn......
    finally, I could not try the car because after one mile, she broke down and refused to start again; we returned  pushing it and the little I could see, the gear box made noises while running ...... ans i did not speak about shocks absorber that seems to be here for décoration,and paint which is completely to redonne
    but the best is to come, the announcement of the price charged for this jewel............but let see the pictures
  • here is a little video i made

This discussion has been closed.