Hemmings Classic Car (Sept.,15) '54 Hudson Jetliner story

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser

Just thought I'd pass along that the latest issue of Hemmings Classic Car, September , 2015, has a Drive Report on a Canadian built '54 Hudson Jetliner titled "Missing the Mark-et."  It's apparently owned by the author of the story, Milton Stern.    Great article that discusses Hudson's ill-fated attempt to successfully compete in the compact car market and what it's like to own and drive a Jetliner.  Hemmings lists the "Pros & Cons" of owning a Hudson Jetliner.

Pros:  Hudson reliability and durability.  Ability to keep up with modern traffic and cruise all day.  Good gas mileage. 

Cons:  Rarity makes finding trim parts difficult.  Always telling people it isn't a Ford or Oldsmobile.  No investment potential due to its being an "acquired taste."

Comments on the Pros and Cons listed here?

Dan

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Having been a Hudson Super Jet owner since 1966 and with 40,000 miles of driving it under my belt, I'd say their "Cons" were spot on.  The "Pros" pretty well hit the nail on the head too.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor

It was nice to see an article featuring the Jet. Mostly factual, but I felt compelled to write the editor about that old myth that the Jet engine was in some way related to the eights of a previous lifetime. If one was to believe that, then you must also believe that the Model T engine was similar to the Bugatti Veyron powerplant. Pistons go up and down, crankshaft goes 'round and 'round, valves go open and closed....variations on a theme. In terms of design details, they aren't much alike in either case.

If all goes well, we'll be driving ours to Colorado......no, not the Bugatti.

Frank

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Having owned a '54 Jet Liner for 44 years, and done over 150,000 miles  in it I can unequivocally say it is right up there as the best all-round car Hudson ever made.  Economical, brilliant performance, roomy, easy to park, great visibility.  It just doesn't have  the "Wow" factor of my Hornet, but it a much more practical car to drive.   Mine has o/d and 4.1 rear end, a perfect combination.   Plus continental spare gives huge amount of room in the trunk.   The only "Con" I think is a tendency to roll on corners, and I am looking at fitting  anti-sway bar to correct this.  R.h.d. makes it difficult to do tappets, due to exhaust adapter and steering box and  gear shift linkages etc.   One obvious down factor is the difficulty of spare parts, particularly suspension, so regular  lubrication is essential.  Overall though, a great car, just a bit peculiar looking from certain angles. 
    Geoff 

Absolute agreement from here. I'm just thankful we've got enough sense to put the steering wheel on the right side.....errrr, the left side. A set of mirror image casting molds would have been a pretty good idea for those of you now enjoying winter, wouldn't it?

F

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited July 2015
    The author/owner of this Hudson Jetliner mentioned that he has to adjust the exhaust valves every 5000 miles.  "The first sign they need adjusting is if you lose 5-7 MPH going uphill on the highway." He says it's relatively easy and takes a couple of hours to do (bet it's a little more time with a right hand drive!). 
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    edited July 2015

Hey, Geoff,

Would gas shocks help the driving experience?

Also, from what I've seen, they ARE going up in value.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I haven't adjusted the valves in 15 years - I wonder what is changing?   I have thought of gas shocks, but doubt that  they would have much affect on body roll, as the shocks are mounted wirtually in the centre of the body, across diagonally to the  U-bolt plates, whereas on the larger cars the  shocks are vertically mounted form the frame to the U-bolts.  And you are right about adjustin g tappets on r.h.d., climbing under the front guard, and working over the exhaust, steering box, gear shift linkages is no joke.    
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I also noted author said his Jetliner had the triple safe braking system. Must have been a special feature of the Canadian built Jets, as mine does not have this feature.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     For those interested, in my previous posting you can  see how I have mounted a generic Japanese electric wiper motor to the original bracket. I made a replica of the  levers and pinned to the elecric motor shaft.  Used the original bowden cable to actuate a micro-switch.  Not self-parking, but could be made so with an extra switch.   The Jets did not have the over-ride emergency brake.
    Geoff 

True.....the Jets didn't have that safety feature, a fact that compelled me to convert ours to a split/tandem system. My guess would be that Hudson saved a good many lives by incorporating that feature into their cars right from the introduction of hydraulics. I have informed the author/owner of the Jet featured in that article.

Frank

This discussion has been closed.