Any source for the Hudson drum pins?

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited July 2015 in HUDSON
These were swedged into the hub when the brake drums were mounted. They have to be
cut off when changing the drums. Is there a source for replacements?

Comments

• KTRON
    KTRON Member
    McMasterCarr sells rivets, Im sure you could source them from there, but then its a matter of installing them. Your corner mechanics shop/welding shop may not be setup to install rivets correctly,

Chris
  • Kdancy
    If I can find the right size, I bet you can take a washer that is slightly undersized I'd and press fit it down thus having the same affect as swedging it on. ?
  • KTRON
    KTRON Member
    The only rivets ive seen installed were on steam boilers at the Scranton PA railyards. Rivets are typically induction heated and swagged hot with a pneumatic impact hammer. The cooling process further clamps the two parts together.   You will likely have premature rivet failure if pressed/swagged cold.

Here is a good video on riveting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TPQL_gG1MA

Chris
  • Kdancy
    In this case, it only needs to be installed to be functional to guide the wheel into place when doing a tire change.
    All of these drums have been changed in the past and none have any functioning rivets as they were all cut off to get the old drums off the hubs for new drum installation.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Volkswagen used bolts on their wheels and I believe Saab did also.

They don't use locating pins. I had a long stud that I started in one hole

and mounted the wheel , than removed it after starting the bolts in.

Takes about 30 seconds on each wheel.

I don't think the stud is needed for the few times you remove the wheels.

• Kdancy
    Thanks guys, Ken, I have been thinking about a variation of that one.
    I think you may have owned this 53 Hornet sedan at one time? Larry Burke from Kansas, father bought new in 53.

Lostmind, It's a customer's Hudson. I've done the exact thing you describe for personal application.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Could be Kerry, I have owned several.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited August 2020
    I've turned my own wheel locating pins with a thread on the end that goes into the drum. Conveniently the hole in the brake drum that the dead pin comes out of is the tapping size for a 5/16" thread, can't remember if it is UNF or UNC.
    So tap the drum, screw the peg in, peen the 2 or 3 exposed threads inside the drum to stop the peg backing out. Or I guess loctite would work just as well.
    I like lost mind's long bolt idea.
This discussion has been closed.