Swaping rear ends

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I am contemplating swapping my Hudson rear for a Spicer. What brake parts are interchangeable between the two.. Anything I need to take into consideration? The reason for the swap is to gain a lower gear number (3.07). I have a 1953 262 coupled with a H54 HydraMatic and a 51 speedometer (110 MPH) and a 51 gear of 3-7/12.  I would like to get things sorted out.

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The backing plates have different centre pressings where they fit over the end of the housing, they can't be swapped. Everything else is just a straight swap. 
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Dave, one thing you may want to keep in mind. When you swap out  the Dana 44 with your Hudson rear end, make sure to use the U bolts and plates from the Dana. The Hudson ones will work but they are a bit wider and do not fit as well as the ones for the Dana. You can use the Hudson ones (I have ) but if you can, save the Dana ones.   All internal brake parts on your drums interchange Dana to Hudson and vice versa with the exception mentioned by Bob. Drums will also swap.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Exactly what I needed to know. I could have taken a few hours reading the parts book but this is much easier!  Thanks guys.
This discussion has been closed.