Pulling off 1949 Hudson Super Six Steering wheel??

Has anyone had the experience of pulling a '49 steering wheel of without an official factory-type steering wheel puller?
Someone has apparently already tried to pull mine off, resulting in destruction of the bottom rim of plastic around post.
Would like to restore the wheel but need to get it off first!
Thank you.

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited April 2018

Some years back I removed the steering wheel from my 1950 Pacemaker with an early 1950's Snap-On universal wheel puller I purchased on eBay just for this task.  Cost around $40.00.   I have made the puller available to borrow to Hudson members in the Chicago area.  So far no one has taken me up on the offer.

By the way, the Snap-On wheel puller did the trick.  Just had to be patient with it as it's like pulling the wheel hub off a Hudson rear axle.  A lot of twisting of the puller screw and then, BANG!, the wheel came off with no damage.  The old steering wheel hangs in my garage as I replaced it with a new old stock Hudson Pacemaker three spoke steering wheel also bought on eBay. Traded the puller for a bonafide Hudson muffler (still in box) at the 2017 Central Regional at Ft Wayne.  

Dan   

• DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    In my 53 I used an autozone universal wheel puller kit.  It had two bolts that fit the threaded holes in the wheel.  I used a thick washer to protect the end of the steering shaft.  After loosening the nut, I tightened the puller until there was significant tension, sprayed with bolt loosener, then let it sit.  Next day I found the wheel had not popped but  I could tighten the puller a bit more.  The second am I found the wheel had given up in the middle of the night.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you have the horn button off, of course, you could shoot some penetrating oil in where the wheel fits around the shaft, then tap the shaft with a hammer (maybe using a socket wrench extension) to set up a vibration and get the oil to work its way in between the two.  Whatever method you end up using to force the wheel upward, the presence of lubrication will certainly help you.
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    The problem with the early  steering wheel (48-49 +50?) is that they do not have the threaded holes for a puller. Needs a special puller to go  under the hub of the steering wheel.  My 51 Pacemaker has the  threaded holes, I have a NOS matching wheel that I got with the car years back and I noticed yesterday that it must be an early wheel as it does not have the threaded holes in it.  I may use it any way as the one on the car now is getting worse every year.  I had a call from a local chapter member yesterday about the same problem on his 49  and that's when I went to my car,removed the horn button to see mine.   I didn't have a tool to get under the steering wheel to advise 'how to'  I know this problem has been on the forum (s) recently.  Someone in the club may have better advise.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The correct puller and alternates are described and shown at this link.
    http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/165222/j-739-hudson-banjo-steering-wheel-puller
  • Put a split ring behind the wheel center mount, nut on centerbolt with short piece of pipe to prevent protective socket from moving, added PB Blaster and tightened on puller as hard as possible. Was talking to parts guy at parts store and an older mechanic said "hit it with a hammer, either at the end of puller or take all that off, put another nut on shaft, have one person pull wheel and other hit the nut"
    Went home hit puller end with mini-sledge and wheel popped right off!
    Maybe this can help someone else.
  • railknight

The guy who does my taxes each year also collects Auburn automobiles (has two for now).  He too suggested the "hitting with the hammer" method to help remove an old car's steering wheel except to use one's legs to pull back on the wheel while striking with the hammer!  I like how you did it with the combination of the puller and hammer.

Thanks for sharing how you successfully removed the wheel from your '49! 

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    So, let's see . . . hold on to steering wheel, plant both feet firmly on floorboard and push with your feet whilst pulling on steering wheel.  With your 3rd hand, smack it with a hammer, then slam steering wheel into your face when it gives way . . .

Not the best plan, methinks.  
  • So, let's see . . . hold on to steering wheel, plant both feet firmly on floorboard and push with your feet whilst pulling on steering wheel.  With your 3rd hand, smack it with a hammer, then slam steering wheel into your face when it gives way . . .

Now,now...read them again, you're not following! lol
  • railknight

So, let's see . . . hold on to steering wheel, plant both feet firmly on floorboard and push with your feet whilst pulling on steering wheel.  With your 3rd hand, smack it with a hammer, then slam steering wheel into your face when it gives way . . .

Now,now...read them again, you're not following! lol
    HA!  Now you know why I put an exclamation mark after the word, hammer.  Hey, he claimed it worked on 1930's Chevys.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser

Airbrushguy, how did you removing the gear shift holder before putting the split ring behind the steering wheel as shown in the third picture above?  
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I have an extra correct wheel puller I would sell if anyone needs one. There is one on Ebay right now for almost $100 plus shipping but I will sell mine for $80 including shipping (what I paid a couple years ago). Here is link to Ebay one (not mine).
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-cg-60-f-steering-wheel-puller/202287317244?hash=item2f194380fc:g:HFUAAOSwpDpanN8T

• airbrushguy
    airbrushguy Member
    edited April 2018
    JasonNC said:

Airbrushguy, how did you removing the gear shift holder before putting the split ring behind the steering wheel as shown in the third picture above?  
    Confused by what you mean and photo does not show up but if you are referring to my earlier method, I would ignore the splitting method and just use the hammer. All earlier methods were very frustrating and worried me that I would break something....two hammer shots and all was done.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The pictures from your May 2015 post don't show up?  They still are on my forum page.  I have a wheel puller that Lance was nice enough to let me have, but I can't get it to fit behind the steering wheel with the gear shift in the way.  In your picture, the shift stick is gone, leaving only the steering wheel attached to the steering column.  https://openforum.hetclub.org/uploads/FileUpload/fe/fe4422993c62e60bba3726214398be.jpg
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I made a puller and a split-ring adapter to get up inside the plastic under the wheel
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Very Cool puller Larry!???
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    If I knew how to post pics I would show you the nice wheeler puller that a friend of mine gave me.  It worked well on the 48, which has the nice steering wheel.  On the 49, which has the wheel I'm trying to replace, it managed to strip the interior threads of the nut that holds on the steering and then flatten the top of the steering connecting rod.  My neighbor said he has never seen a steering wheel that is so hard to get off.  Back to work tomorrow....  
This discussion has been closed.