frt suspension

Trying to figure out what kind of frt suspension to put under my 41 Hudson 2dr sedan, mustang 2 and frt frame stub, or a volare.  I know some of the advantages and disadvantages of each kind just trying to get someother perspectives, and if anybody has done either upgrade.  If I go with the M2, I know that I will have to either manufacture frt frame rails to work, or buy a stub from Fatmans.  I have not looked at the volare frt  yet for fitment.

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     I would go with the one that the parts are east to get.
      M2 parts easy to get and cost wise ?
     Not a lot of Volares left i n salvage yards.
     Fat man makes a nice product  but a little much cost wise also.
      Just my two cents worth
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     You might want to think about using a chevy S-10 frame of a ford ranger frame if the body fits .
    You can sit it on the new frame and have P/S P/B all up dated system  safer to drive.
  • I do have a friend who has a volare frt clip that I can get if I want it as he sold one of his project cars that he was going to install it on.  I am also planning on upgrading the rear end with one from a newer mustang, the local salvage yard has a few that I believe that I can make work as far as track width. they have disc brakes and a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.  I have not yet considered swapping the whole frame but might have to take a look at it also.  Thank you for the advice
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    I have a 1976 Nova front clip on my 53 Hornet. I am in the process of rebuilding the entire front suspension.

JC
  • I have a 1976 Nova front clip on my 53 Hornet. I am in the process of rebuilding the entire front suspension.

JC
    Nice work!
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Member

fliptop, what is your track width and frame width with the nova frt stub?  I am measuring my track width as 56.5", from hub face to hub face.

• fliptop
    fliptop Member
    The front track width is 59.8" and the frame measures 2.5" H and 3 1/4" W.

JC
  • fliptop
    fliptop Member
    Original front clip from Nova.

JC
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    69 Camaro front frame clip on craigslist. North Fla.
    http://lakecity.craigslist.org/pts/4997018287.html
  • Front end rebuilt engine and Trans installed...
  • I decided to cut off the frt suspension, and front of the frame back aways , and fabricated my own front frame rails, which I slid inside of the original frame.  I then boxed the frt of the frame, and have installed a mustang 2 style frt end from full tilt street rods.

• Sound good let's see some pictures....

John
  • I went with 03 Ford Ranger front clip. It comes with tubular upper a arms, sway bar, disc brakes, and rack and pinion. Would have been perfect width for my 39 Country Club using regular offset wheels. Later, decided to install a 07 Ford Explorer independent rear which is 2 in wider so I now have a 1 inch spacer in the front so that I can run the later model offset wheels on all four corners.   image
  • Looking good...Nice Ride!

JC
This discussion has been closed.