Testing "links"

Jon BJon B Posts: 6,928Administrator
edited April 2015 in OFF TOPIC
Gonna try once again inserting a link to an Ebay auction (for hubcaps).  This is only a test....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Hudson-Hubcap-NOS-Aluminum-/201336707157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ee09a5855&vxp=mtr

Nope.  Apparently it didn't work.  Okay, now I'll try posting the link as "copy / pasted" directly from Ebay without using the "links" icon just above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Hudson-Hubcap-NOS-Aluminum-/201336707157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ee09a5855&vxp=mtr

Comments

• PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 842Administrator
    This is strange! The link I posted above works just fine for me.

Jon, I can use your link if I right click it and select "Open in a new window"
    edited April 2015
    I'll try another post but put some text in front of it first 

I'll see if that works for me as well

Update ; it did.

Jon,

I opened your post for editing just to look at what is in there. Your link appears underlined but when I look at mine it isn't. Did you use the "Insert Hyperlink" button at all? I didn't ; just did a straight forward paste

I'll paste my copied link in underneath yours and see if it makes a difference
    Looking at the source of the page and there is an error thrown that says :

Refused to display 'http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Hudson-Hubcap-NOS-Aluminum-/201336707157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ee09a5855&vxp=mtr' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'SAMEORIGIN'.

That error says that "This website has set this header to disallow it to be displayed in an iframe."
    so that appears to be an eBay restriction and would explain why when I right click it it will open
  • lostmindlostmind Posts: 1,230Expert Adviser
    None of my links " stick"
  • Lee ODellLee ODell Posts: 2,700Senior Contributor
    Paul

The first link I had to "Open in a new window" to see it.
    All the other links you posted I can see.

Lee O'Dell
  • ESSX28-1ESSX28-1 Posts: 1,351Senior Contributor
    ALL the above links work when I "right mouse click" & choose "open in new tab"
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 6,928Administrator
    Paul, this is totally screwy.  We are supposed to use the little icon (4th from right) when we intend to post a "link".  Yet, when I do this to post a link to an Ebay auction, it doesn't work.

But if you or I paste the link directly to the comment "blank" (after copying it off the Ebay address bar) -- and we do NOT use the "link" icon as we're supposed to -- then, anyone who clicks it is taken directly to Ebay's auction.  I'm not sure what the moral is, here, unless it is "don't do what you're supposed to, or you'll fail."

I know Jon ; screwy is indeed the correct terminology here :)

I'll do some more digging to see if there is anything I can adjust in the settings. I don't think so from what I have seen so far but you never know