Is it me or has the traffic on this forum dropped dramatically

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I have been on this forum in its various incarnations, but over the last 6 to 12 months it seems the amount of traffic and postings has really dropped.  Are they going somewhere else or are they just dropping out?

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

This forum is not user friendly. It took over 25 seconds for your post to open.

That was fast compared to normal time. I think guys get frustrated trying to post and read here , just go somewhere easier. My opinion

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

IMO, it isn't as 'user friendly' due to the 'window within a window' format - harder to navigate.

Then again, the HET Club forum isn't too 'busy' either.

On the bright side, the HET Group on Facebook (link below, at my signature) is always busy...

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Changing the subject somewhat: isn't there some way for "non-Facebook" people to view the Hudson Facebook?   In many instances I can still read someone's Facebook, I just can't "use" it.  There may be a perfectly good reason to keep our Facebook locked to view by outsiders, but couldn't that close doors to potential members as well?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2015
    Take time to review those who have frequently posted in the past. My experience is two fold.. 1. The new members spend a few months trying to sort out sources of parts and info. 2. Then there are the computer savvy ones who hear about Facebook and migrate there. Unlike this forum Facebook embodies the Chat type of format with near instantaneous communication format. Once on FB this forum is not used much. Being a HET Club member or not is not on the mind of most.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Yup, losing the old chatroom created a void that facebook had filled.  I just signed up for facebook as I turned 79.  Already too much information, but I wasn't aware of the HET page.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hudson Essex Terraplane Club
    Put the above in FB SEARCH you will be taken to the HET page
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I've been on here for the last 11 years now.  Of course traffic has slowed down.  One, as y'all mentioned, there's other games in town.  Two, the search feature is fairly awful, so the same old questions get posted over and over again.  We run through these cycles and then they start over again.  Rarely is there very new items on here.  And of course, all of the postings before this latest incarnation are basically gone.  

On the bright side, the Tucker folks simply ran out of things to say, as did most of the Mark II folks.  Their search features work fine and no one really needs to post any more questions, as the answer is there in the archives.  Lights are still on, but nobody is home.  
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited April 2015
    Changing the subject somewhat: isn't there some way for "non-Facebook" people to view the Hudson Facebook?   In many instances I can still read someone's Facebook, I just can't "use" it.  There may be a perfectly good reason to keep our Facebook locked to view by outsiders, but couldn't that close doors to potential members as well?

Hi Jon,

No, there isn't, if someone wants to see what's going-on at the HET Facebook page, they need to be a member on Facebook.  If they want to make comments/post, they need to be a member.  

Once on Facebook, anyone can apply to be a member of the group, and any 'current member' can approve/grant the entry into the group for anyone who applies.  No 'off topic' discussions/posts are allowed there either (within reason).  I am somewhat 'restrictive' concerning entry into the group - Facebook also has their own version of 'spammers'...

And, yes - I checked into whether settings could be adjusted/changed to allow viewing of threads without logging-in to Facebook (as the founder and administrator of the HET Facebook group), and there isn't any way to adjust it in the manner you are referring to - even asked 'Facebook admin' about it.  It is what it is...

The 'ebb and flow' of all of social media (this subject) is in a continual state of 'flux', changing all the time.  Remember dial-up 'Bulletin Boards' - the 'chat room' of their day?  Long gone, or converted to online web pages - they evolved, as is everything in this electronic age.  If someone was 'brought to present day' from just 10-15 years ago (or so), they would be amazed at how we 'communicate' now, and how people are now focused on their 'smartphone' to the exclusion of all else.  These type of things continue to 'evolve' (not sure I would call it 'progress', by any definition of that word).

I don't know If there is an HET Group on 'Twitter' (I don't 'twit') - who knows, that may be the next 'thing'...   

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Here is what you find if you do a search on Google for HET Facebook page:

• .....and here's what showed up when I did a recent Ebay search for Hudson.

• faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I've been on here about 10 years now as well, but in the last few years favor FB for most of my car related topics. On the upside FB is great for sharing pictures, easy and quick to check, all from a phone. The down side is that you lose the history and searchable content of a forum. I think both can exist and be useful. It's the same with other goups I'm in as well, FB is easier and faster for day to day posting and sharing.
  • mdwhit
    mdwhit Expert Adviser
    edited April 2015
    Rick says

"...And, yes - I checked into whether settings could be adjusted/changed to allow viewing of threads without logging-in to Facebook (as the founder and administrator of the HET Facebook group), and there isn't any way to adjust it in the manner you are referring to - even asked 'Facebook admin' about it.  It is what it is..." 

Soooo, why am I able to get on other people's FB page, even though I am not on FB, myself. And also, the FB page I may be looking at has not given me permission either? But like other non-FB users, I can not get on the Hudson facebook either.
  • allan
    allan Member
    I didn't even know about HET Facebook until I read this!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Ah yes, Hudson jeans.  A nice looking pair as well.  I have a hard time doing a search on any of the three formats.  I guess I need some training written for old folks.  But I do know that a question of facebook takes a lot less time to answer.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2015
    Sounds like we're "covered", then. 

1.  If people are registered for Facebook and happen to know about the Hudson page there, they can go there.

2.  If people are surfing the net and happen to look for Hudson stuff on Google, they'll ultimately encounter a "discussion" that will pull them into the Open Forum webpage.

3.  If people find the H-E-T homepage while surfing the net, and they click on "Forum" at the top, they'll learn about the H-E-T Forum (which they can then join by following the instructions).

So we've got "presence" on webpages and Facebook.  Like Rick says, that only leaves Twitter (of which I have absolutely no knowledge) but if it requires establishing an account there, maybe someone can do that as well. If the "traffic" moves to one of those venues and away from the others, no problem, 'cause we're there with open arms.  And those who prefer to use the other two, can still do so.  Maybe we could consider adding cross-links to each of the three venues so that people at each one, can navigate to the others easily.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Jon, you can click on the twitter button in the page header on the Club Site (button looks like a bird).  It is right next to the F for our facebook page.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Is there any interest in creating a 'chat' page on Facebook?  It would always be 'open' and whoever is there at the time could converse.  Or is there one of those that I don't know about?
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Rick says

"...And, yes - I checked into whether settings could be adjusted/changed to allow viewing of threads without logging-in to Facebook (as the founder and administrator of the HET Facebook group), and there isn't any way to adjust it in the manner you are referring to - even asked 'Facebook admin' about it.  It is what it is..." 

Soooo, why am I able to get on other people's FB page, even though I am not on FB, myself. And also, the FB page I may be looking at has not given me permission either? But like other non-FB users, I can not get on the Hudson facebook either.
    It isn't an individual account - It is a Facebook group.  It will not display information unless you are logged-in to Facebook...
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Here is what you find if you do a search on Google for HET Facebook page:

Tried it myself, and the Facebook group didn't get one Google 'hit' - Very odd!  To some, that may be a positive thing - I am not sure...

This discussion has been closed.