Current numbers of 1939 Hudson's in the UK

PaulButler
PaulButler Administrator
edited April 2015 in HUDSON
Here's some interesting statistics for you. I found out the other day that DVLA which is our Vehicle Licensing Authority here in the UK publish statistics on cars that are what are called SORN. SORN stands for Statutory Off Road Notification and you are meant to tell the DVLA the reason why your car is not currently taxed.

If you don't then they can come along and take your car away :)

I looked through the statistics but found nothing for Hudson so I emailed the authority to ask why. The reply came back that some makes just didn't get split out; Hudson being on these but they'd be happy to do an analysis for me if I could supply some more information. Me being me gave them the list of 1939 Serial Numbers and I asked them to see what there was and here are the results! I have attached it as a spreadsheet ; makes it easier to read

I'm not sure of some of the numbers but I think some of the serial numbers may cover Railton as well. If you look at there appear to be 18 112's licensed with the DVLA as at the end of last year of which the 8 that are currently showing as being SORN or not on the road if included in that 18 would leave 10 that are on the road :)

Hopefully 11 soon with mine

The Hudson Country Club Eight numbers are interesting with 18 being shown ; that's quite a lot.

Overall according to the DVLA there are 101 1939 Hudson's in this country. That seems a lot to me but who knows.

I am checking with the DVLA about the criteria used to pick these up so it's an on-going piece of work. I am going to ask them if they would run queries for the other years as well so keep your eyes peeled!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm envious that you can even GET that sort of information!  Here in the U.S., licensing is done on a state by state basis and there is little uniformity on how cars are counted -- except for the "uniformity" of its being well-nigh impossible to get "headcounts" such as you've been given.  For some reason, the various motor vehicle departments regard such inquiries with scorn, laziness or suspicion.  At least that's my take on it.  So, determining the number of licensed Hudsons remaining, requires fifty state-by-state investigations!

You at least have only one central licensing authority to deal with, which can be either a blessing or a curse.

Also, I believe in England a car is assigned a number plate when it is first registered and loses it when it is junked.  Not so here, as a car gets a new plate each time it's re-registered by a new owner, and that plate could be issued (over the years) in any number of states.  (The exception would be antique plates which CAN in some cases be transferred from owner to owner.)

I'd love to know how many Hudsons are still licensed in the States (and elsewhere) but it would be a daunting (and probably doomed) effort.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Hi Jon,

It's good isn't it! I wasn't aware of this myself until I stumbled across it the other week and the chap at the DVLA has done a grand job in getting these figures out so much so that I have asked him I could extend the search a little to encompass the rest of the 1930's (and 20's , 40's and 50's) :)

It may be a request too far but we'll see

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

I have an update ; the two tables are exclusive so a car can be in either one or the other which means there are a few Hudson's from 1939 still kicking around!

Even better news is that I am going to able to present a list of VINS from the rest of the 30's and will be able to get some other figures out as well. Plus the 20's , 40's and 50's as well!

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    That is great you are able to get that kind of information in England.

A registration exception in Tenn. The license plate is registered to the owner. When the car is sold the plate stays with the owner to put on the next car he buys. That's how it was when we lived there in the 70's. Another difference was that pickups & trucks only had one plate, for the front end none for the rear. And registration cost was the same for all and very reasonable whereas in Ca. it is expensive. The higher the cars value the more it costs to register. Above a set value additional surcharge is added. When we moved back to Ca. I would be stopped by police because the truck had no rear license. I had to explain that was how it was in Tenn. Luckily I didn't get a ticket.

Good luck with your research.
    Lee O'Dell
This discussion has been closed.