Vented Gas Cap for 52 Hornet

Lee ODell
Lee ODell Senior Contributor
edited December 2018 in HUDSON
Does anyone have a source and part number for 52 Hornet gas cap? Perhaps NAPA?

Lee O'Dell

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Lee, I am told that a 57 Chevrolet is the same size.  I bought one for my 52 about ten years ago.  They are available in a lot of areas including the local discount stores.
  • Lee ODell

Thanks Brownie.  When I asked for a vented cap for a 52 Hornet the parts stores didn't have one.  I'll go tomorrow and ask for a 57 Chevy cap. 

When I stopped to get gas Sat. after a 97 mile cruise much of it at 75-85 MPH, I removed the cap and heard air sucked rapidly into the tank.  So I figured it was a non vented cap.  I looked under the car to see if there was any implosions on the tank but didn't see a problem.  The car runs good but maybe it will run a little stronger without creating a vacuum in the tank with the right gas cap.

Any one else have a problem filling up their gas tank?  I was a little worried Sat. because it only took 7 gals. The gas gauge told me it wasn't full.  I have weak rear springs, maybe because it sets much lower in the rear than most stepdowns that may have something to do with it.  To fill it up I would have to stand there for a eternity it seems  pulling the pump hose trigger repeatedly a few tenths of gal at a time because the emission pumps we have in Calif. keep shutting off long before the tank is full.  I figure there was still room for another 10 gals. 

Lee O'Dell

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited December 2018
    I bought a locking cap on eBay but had to drill a hole in it (holes since they had to be off-set thru the parts). It was extremely reasonable. They are out there but remember the vent.
    Also, I have to back the nozzle out sometimes when filling up to prevent shutoff; which is often since I haven't fixed the gas gage yet !!

• Before someone asks: those are magnets to keep flap closed. Normal springs are too tight. They work very good.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Before someone asks: those are magnets to keep flap closed. Normal springs are too tight. They work very good.
    Too tight for what? 
  • Have read on forum from more than one that both stock springs are too strong &/or you 'break fingernails' getting door open.

Probably should have said: "I have read that......."

Suppose thickness of nail would mean something?

Having just one spring as recommended might look like one was missing.

Anyway, magnets are good and level is correct;--they were there when I got car.

• Lee ODell
    Interesting about the magnets. Not a problem opening gas door on my 52 Hornet. Never gave it a thought. So I went out to check door and it only has one spring.

Lee O'Dell
  • RL Chilton
    I never gave it a thought, either.  Maybe tough for a lady with nice fingernails?  Interesting, anyway.  
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Recently I read (on this Forum) that Stepdown gas tanks have an internal vent or baffle that can cause slow filling of the tank when defective...
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    STANT 10625
  • Lee ODell
    Ol racer

I remember seeing that post but I can not find the previous post to see solution to fix slow filling. Can someone repost it please.

Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    edited April 2015
    Lance
    How much for the vented gas cap? I can not remember how to reply to your PM.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Hudson fuel tank has a air escape valve which is normally connected to the fuel fill tube via a rubber hose. If the valve sticks no air escapes except via bubbles into fuel fill tube.

See the same for more modern cars

Here's a general automotive advisory.
    I have had trouble filling the fuel tank on 2 cars now, and fixed them both the same way. Both my current '06 Ford Focus, and an '03 Subaru Forester that we no longer own developed problems with their fuel tanks. When filling, the pump would shot off automatically after only about .25 gallons. The Subaru was fixed under warranty, the explanation was spider eggs in the evaporative gas recovery system, which on most newer cars is a charcoal filled canister that traps fuel vapors as they are vented from the tank, was clogged with spider eggs. I thought the tech was full of crap and making some excuse for a poorly built car. A few years later, after the warranty period, we had the same problem again. I spent about an hour under the car following all the hoses and pipes to and from the fuel tank. I removed some hoses and found one of them full of a sticky white glob. I removed what I figured was the mythical spider nest and put everything back together. The tank filled fine after that. My Ford started to have the same problem a few days ago. I removed what appeared to be a vent hose from the charcoal canister and believe it or not a spider came walking right out of it. On the Ford the eggs were actually in the pressure purge valve on the canister. Once I cleaned and replaced the valve, the car filled normally.
    So, if you are having trouble filling the gas tank on a newer car, spend a few minutes looking under the car, and around the fuel tank for easily removable vent hoses and valves and check for spider nests before you spend the money to have somebody remove the nest for you.
  • RL Chilton
    If I didn't know you, OldFarmer (and I do), then I would think that's the most bizarre practical joke I've heard all month.   :))

It's even more bizarre to think that it's actually factual.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Actually Russell, I just found the later part of the post. I did remove and inspect a Hudson air valve. The one in question was stuck with rust, dirt and bugs. I do not know what if anything an owner can do to repair a air release valve. But there are several different types available on eBay that seem like easy solutions to a failed Hudson valves.
  • Lee ODell
    Oldfarmer

I can't fine information how to check the valve in the Mechanical Procedure Manual. How did you check it?
    Hopefully it can be checked without dropping the tank.

Seems as if it has to be a two way valve that hopefully a vacuum/pressure pump connected to the valve tube could be used to check its function. But what do I know, wasn't aware there was a air valve.

I have a spare 54 tank and earlier stepdown tank that I may be able to take air valve from if mine is bad.

Thanks for any information.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Seems like most have nozzles with CA environmental muzzles on them so the air can't be expelled from the entry pipe where you put the gas in. Also seems like there is more area there than an air vent would have. The small gas nozzles are small compared to what they go down in so there are plenty room around it {if you don't live in CA}.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited April 2015

I don't know if this link will work , they usually don't.

spiders are a common problem

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Not only will the link not stick , but I can't edit the post.

Another reason traffic is down hear , frustrating to try and share

• Lee ODell
    DavidC

The parts store told me the STANT 10625 was not a vented cap. ???
    Lee O'Dell
  • DavidC
    Vehicle Applications Stant 10625      

AM General

• DJ5: 1969

Ford

• 1 Ton Pickup: 1942, 1945 - 1947
    • 1/2 Ton Pickup: 1942, 1945 - 1947
    • 3/4 Ton Pickup: 1942, 1945 - 1947
    • Anglia: 1960 - 1963, 1966 - 1967
    • Capri: 1962 - 1963
    • Consul: 1960 - 1963
    • Cortina: 1963 - 1965
    • F Series: 1948 - 1950
    • F1: 1948 - 1950
    • F2: 1948 - 1950
    • F3: 1948 - 1950
    • F4: 1948 - 1950
    • Sedan Delivery: 1942, 1946 - 1947
    • Zephyr: 1960 - 1961, 1963
    • Zodiac: 1960 - 1961, 1963 - 1964

Hudson

• Commodore Series: 1946 - 1952
    • Commodore Series 24: 1942
    • Deluxe Series 20 P: 1942
    • Hornet: 1951 - 1953
    • Pacemaker: 1950 - 1952
    • Super Custom: 1951
    • Super Series: 1946 - 1950
    • Super Series 21: 1942
    • Super Wasp: 1953
    • Traveler Series 20 T: 1942
    • Wasp: 1952 - 1953

If it fits all these it has to be vented

Dave

• DavidC

Rockauto says its vented:

PriceAdd to Cart

STANT Part # 10625 More Info {#389943R91, 850805, A8TZ9030A} OE Equivalent Fuel Cap; 2-7/8" Vented (1-7/8" x 7/8" Shallow Cam)
    Category: Fuel Tank Cap

Been running it on my 53 and have not crushed the tank or stalled yet:)

• DavidC

STANT

American Motors ........... 1967

Chevrolet ...................... 1964-1962

Ford .............................. 1977-1960

Ford (English) ............... 1970-1967

Hudson ......................... 1957-1955

International .................. 1969-1961

Mercury ......................... 1965-1960

Nash ............................. 1957-1953

Rambler ........................ 1960-1958

Studebaker ................... 1966-1959

Ford .............................. 1950-1941

Ford (English) ............... 1967-1960

Hudson ......................... 1953-1939

Jeep .............................. 1969-1945

Lincoln .......................... 1948-1936

Mercury ......................... 1948-1946

lists the above caps for stepdowns

• DavidC

I don't know if this link will work but if not go to STANT website and look under their vintage catalog for gas caps and thermostats.  I see lots of listings.  I cannot vouch for the others aside from 10625, listed for 51-53, works in my 53.  Please find your vehicle.  Some go back to the 30s.

http://www.stant.com/files/2714/0979/5243/Stant_Vintage_Guide.pdf

Once you have the pdf open you can right click, find, Hudson, and toggle through all the Hudson models covered.

Dave

• Lee ODell
    Thank you everyone for your help. A lot of good cross reference information presented and where to get one. I will be picking up a cap at the Western Regional Meet next week.

Lee O'Dell
  • I still love the locking cap I got for the '53 !!! But I did make it venting. They are new and evidently are being produced.

>>>>  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LOCKING-GAS-CAP-1939-TO-1953-HUDSON-EXCEPT-JET-/171756517007?hash=item27fd7c768f

• EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member

An FYI.. Step down tanks have a metal tube on top  just inside the drivers side edge.  This tube has a small flapper valve inside to keep fuel from running out.  The outer end of the tube is connected to a rubber hose.  The hose goes over the frame rail and is then connected to another metal tube at the top of the filler neck. 

This is a vent assembly to allow air to escape as the filler tube connects to the side of the tank... not the top.

If the flapper gets stuck, like with gas tank sealer or crud, or the hose deteriorates and collapses, you can have a very hard filling tank.   

So check this out.  The entire assembly should allow air to pass easily.  I'll leave it to your imagination as to how to check this out.  I have my method, but it isn't pretty. 

Make sure you use fuel line hose to replace the hose.  If the flapper is stuck, try a inserting a stiff wire to open.  

Hope this helps

Lew 

• Per
    Per Member
    Lew,
         I drove all across the country with Dan McNichol in his 1951 Pacemaker with it taking ages to fill the tank above about half full.  Finally we discovered the hose you mentioned, which had collapsed where it passes over the frame, on the way from the metal tube at the top edge of the gas tank to a small tube going into the neck of the filler pipe.  This functions to let the air from the tank get out while the tank is being filled.  
         When the gas in the tank is very low, it fills fine, because the air can get out of the filler pipe as the gas goes in.  But, since the filler pipe on the step-down gas tank goes into the side of the tank fairly low on the side wall of the tank, the air can't come out through the filler pipe when the surface of the gas inside the tank rises above where the filler pipe goes into the tank.  The small tube lets the air escape from the tank into the upper part of the filler tube.
         I didn't realize that there is a valve in the tube.  For Dan and me, the problem was an old, gummy, collapsed hose.  It is so nice now to have the tank fill normally!

Per
  • where can i find a replacement valve and tube for a '53 hudson hornet? thanks
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited December 2018
    The valve is built into the tank, the tube is just 5/16 rubber fuel line.  There is a brace on the driver side of the tank that the fill neck sits under, with a small gap (below the truck floor and brace) for the tube to go through and connect to the filler vent tube. If the tube is clear, you may be able to run some gas or other solvent to try to free up the vent. But if that doesn't work, you'll have to drop the tank.
This discussion has been closed.