Starter question

Hey all... I have a 51 Hornet Sedan with a single range Hydramatic.  The car has not been on the road or really running since 1979 and I am having a bear of a time getting it to run on anything other than starter fluid.  The car has a '55 308 in it as indicated by the casting numbers, worn blue-grey paint, and H-315 tag indicating a manufacture date of August 31, 1955.  Supposedly this car has a Nash flywheel which takes a different starter?  The car however still has its original MCH 6107 from '51.

How can I tell if this car has a Nash flywheel?  Is the starter something that needs to be replaced with the proper part?  The moment the engine catches the bendix disengages and spins on up with no resistance.  Overall the relationship between the bendix and flywheel doesnt sound like the happiest.  

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• Pics of what I am dealing with....
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The later hash engines were fitted into stepdowns back in the day and were mated to the existing Hudson flexplate/torus. 

If you have starter problems I suggest its not because you have an incorrect flexplate, the answer lies elsewhere.
  • Bob, 

You're right on.  Once you all confirmed I have the correct bits on the car... I began at the battery (brand new optima red top) and didn't get far.  After I replaced the grounding strap the negative battery cable measured out as a 4. :(  Napa has no clue so called YnZ wiring today and spoke to Chris.  A nice new 00 cable will be on its way soon.  Something that will hopefully make both the starter and strength of spark happier than the #4 cable that would get hot. :(  Will let you know how it all turns out. 

Ray
  • Ken, 

I think it was actually your post in the past that led me to order a #00.  The ground straps have already been replaced... but good to know what not having them can do.  I narrowed on the cable by using the test on 6-5 of the shop service model.  I got as far as #1.  Max allowable reading 0.2.  My voltmeter swung from 0.7 to 1.1v!  Wow.  I'll update things once the cable comes.  

Thanks,

Ray
This discussion has been closed.