Insulation

What to use for insulation to control noise and heat in a Hudson pick-up ?  Thanks

Comments

• Think most people go with a product like dynamat xtreme or some similar...

Hope it helps...

Ray
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited April 2015
    http://www.lobucrod.com/
    Ive used his product on a couple of cars. If your a HAMB member, you get a 10% discount.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    home depot/ lowes etc has an alternative  which is in the roofing section  it is a peel and stick product that is approx. $16 for 12.5 sq ft  it is 6 inches wide and 25 ft long  I used 4 rolls approx. 50 sq ft and spent $64  compare to dynamat etc sq footage and you will spend over $200  also contrary to others opinions this has no discernible odor  but the choice is yours
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

home depot/ lowes etc has an alternative  which is in the roofing section  it is a peel and stick product that is approx. $16 for 12.5 sq ft  it is 6 inches wide and 25 ft long  I used 4 rolls approx. 50 sq ft and spent $64  compare to dynamat etc sq footage and you will spend over $200  also contrary to others opinions this has no discernible odor  but the choice is yours
    me 2
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    superDave-

That's the stuff I always use.  Only thing is, the surface you are sticking it to, has to be very clean (smoother the better).  I also tend to use metal tape between joints.  The stuff is thin, so you can also overlap it 1/2" to 3/4" or so.  Price is Right!
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Thanks for info on roofing peel and stick product.

My experience with dynamat in my 64 El Camino was not pleasant the floor felt hotter with it. It absorbed exhaust pipes heat radiating through the floor and was like putting your shoe on hot tar paper. The noise and heat reduction was not close to what I was lead to expect..

Lee O'Dell
  • RL Chilton
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for info on roofing peel and stick product.

My experience with dynamat in my 64 El Camino was not pleasant the floor felt hotter with it. It absorbed exhaust pipes heat radiating through the floor and was like putting your shoe on hot tar paper. The noise and heat reduction was not close to what I was lead to expect..

Lee O'Dell
    Unless, they have changed their product, it was my understanding that one was a noise reduction and one was a heat barrier and the two individual products did not do more than the single-duty they were designed to do.   I used both on my last hot rod, which was a tiny '32 Ford.  Cost was prohibitive.  Can't imagine what it would take to do a closed-car Hudson.  
  • RL Chilton
    This is what I found at Home Depot recently:  

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Nice stuff Russell! I will look for it... Good for seams in sheet metal too I bet!
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I used both on the El Camino. Still have a lot left I got at the same time for the 34 Chevy hot rod before selling the it. Still have it. Will not be using it in the 47 PU.

Did what you suggested, dramatically reduce heat and noise? Would love to have a quiet 47 PU to hear radio and carry on conversation driving down the highway keeping up with traffic.

Lee O'Dell
  • Look at Eastwood, they have a Thermo-coustic product that is cheaper and goes farther then Dynamat. They also have a video on the website about it.
  • 48rob
    48rob Member
    I used the Dynamat alternative from the box stores in our model A roadster to quiet the drumming noise coming from the large metal panels. it worked pretty well.
    On our metropolitan convertible, I used it on the floor pans to reduce noise and heat.
    It helped a little, but after I added a layer of felt, and then placed a heavy rubber floor mat on top of them (just in the foot well area) the noise level was reduced to a point that you are no longer overwhelmed by road noise.
    The Met is mere inches from the roadway...and gravel roads were especially obnoxious.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.