Curious "factory" 1932 Terraplane

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
I just spotted the following photograph on Ebay:

Does anyone besides me see anything strange about this photo of a 1932 Terraplane?  First, the grille looks more like a '32 Hudson than a Terraplane.  And second, the windshield folds down, which would make it a true "roadster".  Did Hudson make true 1932 Terraplane roadsters?  Or, could this be a phaeton?

Regardless, it's a prototype of some sort, which never got built.

The photo is currently being offered on Ebay by AutoLit, in a 16 x 20 sized fine art print, at http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Essex-Terraplane-Automobile-Photo-Poster-zad4577-O2RROT-/370773477365?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5653d247f5

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Jon - I'd bet my life that this is a picture of a '32 Essex, not the Essex-Terraplane
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    Would I be correct that the center light turns with the front wheels? I suppose everybody on the planet knew this but me.....
    F
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The bumper mounted driving light tied the the steering linkage to turn with the wheels, was a common aftermarket accessory of the late '20s and first of the 30s.

I don't believe the car is a prototype.

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    I agree Jerry, it  is an Essex.  Check out radiator emblem,  wider center grill bar , front bumper, angled headlight lense.

Pic is just mis-labeled.

"Ric"
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Good spot, guys.  Regardless, it's a handsome model.  
This discussion has been closed.