I need help from other 39 owners

Val
Val Member
edited April 2015 in HUDSON

How do I remove the ignition coil?? I have never seen one like this. The steel braided line from the top I believe to go to the ignition switch inside the car as the distributor lead connects at the bottom. Can I assume this to be of factory type?  

Please help!!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2015
    Yes.   It is "factory".

Just pry up the 3 or 4 small "ears" around the perimeter of the lid, at the top, which frees the lid from the coil.  Raise the lid, to reveal the wire (within the flexible steel jacket), which is connected to a terminal atop the coil.  Disconnect the wire.  You can now remove the coil.

Or, if you want to remove the ignition switch (with the flexible jacket, which is permanently connected to it),  first remove the plate from the firewall which fills the oversized hole in the firewall (the hole's large enough to allow the coil cap through but when it's in place, there is only a small hole just big enough for the flexible jacket)..  This plate is merely held with sheet metal screws, I believe.  Now you can push the flexible jacket with the coil cap, through the firewall and (from under the dash) thread it out and around the insulation on the inside of the firewall.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Jon and is the wire a positive or negative? As my car is positive ground.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It would be negative, I believe.  That is, it supplies power (from the negative terminal of the battery, which is "hot") to the coil, after the key has been turned.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thank you so much Jon. I really appreciate the help!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Val, when you go to purchase a replacement coil, try to find the original type -- they're still out there, NOS.  You can find the AutoLite coil number in your 1939 Hudson parts manual.  These things pop up on Ebay every so often.  In fact, it wouldn't hurt to buy a spare, and carry it around for the day when you'll need it.  If you get the original type, it will have that collar or sleeve on top, which has the metal ears that fold down and hold the metal cap (which is part of your flexible metal jacket).  If you buy a modern coil it won't have that feature and you'll have to "make do".

This discussion has been closed.