Pictures of a recent trip into the back country of NewZealand

Trevor J
Trevor J Expert Adviser
A couple of weeks ago some friend and myself took a trip into the back country of NewZealand in our cars here are a few pics.  As yopu can see steep and barren terrain with huge drop offs  off the road if you made a mistake.  Fantastic scenery and a lot of fun

Comments

• 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Great pictures,thanks for sharing.
    Nice to see the cars out and being used and enjoyed.
  • stev1955
    stev1955 Expert Adviser
    I always wondered, do Hudson splash engines lubricate well on the steep hills you folks drive on down there?
    Steve

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Sure do. Dont let them labour - keep them spinning.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    I have never had a problem with the lubrication at all. I have done well over 20000 miles in the car shown in the last 7 years and much of that driving has been on roads similar to what is shown in the photos.  I am however very careful about changing the oil at no more than 1000 miles often sooner than that because of course there is no filter
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Actually we carry  a box full of spare rods, and every time we go up a steep hill and the oil runs to the back of the sump we stop  at the top and replace No. 1 rod, and when going down the other side the oil runs to the front, so we stop at the bottom and replace No. 6.
  • stev1955
    stev1955 Expert Adviser
    Aha! Just like I thought.  ;)
    Actually thanks for the replies. I feel better about driving the hills in my area.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You would be surprised,how even today, people believe that of splash fed Hudson engines.   I have driven my Essex over all the steepest roads in the country, and NEVER had  problems.  The only time I have had bearing failure was 50 years ago when the  oil feed pipe cracked and the sump ran dry, and one other time 45 years ago when one of the bearings started knocking after 120,000 miles.   Driven with respect for their age,  Hudson built engines will go for a remarkably long time.
This discussion has been closed.