35 Terraplane outer axle bearing

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor

Hello all,
Does anyone have the Timken part number for the outer axle bearing cone & cup for a 35 Terraplane? I have a 2581-T cone and 2523 Cup that I hope are the correct parts. I emailed Paul large type and he wasn't sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    If you can supply the factory part numbers, I can reply with interchange(s).
  • 35 Terraplane
    The numbers I posted are stamped on each part. That's all I have.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Here are pictures of each
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    They are correct......The cone is pretty rare. Guard it with your life.
    Do not use a press to install it. The Mechanical Procedure Manual gives an installation procedure and several will chime in with their own methods, I'm sure.
    F
  • 35 Terraplane
    Frank,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I plan on checking to see if I can have them reproduced. Maybe the car gods will smile on me.
    Tom
    Hmmm.......where have I heard all of this before?
    Sure, it seems like in this day and age of computer numerical controlled manufacturing equipment that a bearing manufacturer could quite easily produce a version of the ordinary $15 tapered roller bearing with the 1-in-12 bore taper, just to make us Hudson guys happy, but trust me......none will. Good luck anyway.
    F
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    I just checked my old stock of bearings, I have a pair of these bearings, marked on the box is the original price of
    £1.10.03 plus tax. I. Got a price recently for 25877T from a local supplier his price $375.00, wow how things have changed.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2015
    So.... after all that hoop-la with the legendary $900 Timken bearings, of which Paul Schuster managed to find us NOS replacements at a fraction of the current (outrageous) cost.... there are actually Hudson axle bearings that are even RARER?
  • 35 Terraplane
    Wow, at least I'm lucky in getting this set, cone & cup for $30.00. Just wish the fellow had two. Guess the car gods smiled on me a little. Anyway we'll see we're the repro path leads. Hopefully not down a dark alley.
    Tom
    We Jet Setters are in the same boat. Treat your Jet rear wheel brgs as though they are made of un-obtainium as well......'cause they are.
    F
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    35 Terraplane , did you get my reply.!???
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
    Hello Terraplane 35

Be careful that the cheap bearings have a tapered bore. "T"
    I have had vendors try to sell me bearings with a straight bore - no good of course

Phil
    Australia
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
    Further to my hasty last post...................

Actually, the one in your photo seems ok, Just be careful if you come across others
    All the best in hunting and gathering

P
  • 35 Terraplane
    Huddy42,
    Yes I did, thanks you the reply.
    Tom
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello All,
    Has anyone had experience with bearings manufactrued by Tyson? It's an American company that's been in business they say for 70 years. I bought two of the 2581-T tapered bearings and they measure the same as the NOS Timken I have. If the feedback is positive I have a line on a guy who says he has 4000 of them so there should be plenty for everyone. Feedback everyone??
    I wish I could come up with a good chicken joke.........nope. (US only)
    I've run across Tyson before and believe I have a NORS throwout bearing made by them somewhere.
    I figured there was a stash of new 2581-T out there somewhere. I hope he's reasonable with the price. I'll take a pair (or more) when the deal gets worked out. I'll be watching.
    Frank
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Tom, do spread the word, please, if you discover that his cache indeed consists of the correct bearings.  I'll bet they fit other years besides 1935 and a lot of people would like to buy a spare or two, even if they don't need one now.  You could put this in the form of a WTN advertisement for the seller (a "lead" from you, since -- as a non- HET member -- he cannot advertise in the WTN).  Then people could buy directly from him.

Or you could buy a bunch of bearings and go into the business!
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello All,
    I have an update on the 2581-T cone bearings.  I've found another warehouse that says they have several hundred NOS 2581-T Timken's.  I purchased two with the matching 2523 cups. I've attached a picture.  Apparently the 2523 cups are still in production as they are used in many applications.  I measured the Timken and Tyson bearings more closely and they are within a few thou of each other.  The outer cage on the Tysons are thinner and don't appear quite as round or nicely formed as the Timken.  I attached a picture of them next to each other.  Anyway, the warehouse would only sell them through one of their distributors, one of which is a company I already do business with through my work. The price through the local distributor for the Timken are also a little less then the Tyson's. 
    If anyone is interested in these it's looking like $28.00 each for the Timken 2581-T cones plus the shipping.  The cups should be available at NAPA or the like but I didn't verify this.  If folks preferred I could get the cone & cup in sets for $38.00 plus shipping.  I figured that having to go through a distributor and that I've already got that covered may make this the easiest way to get this done.  I'll post this on the club forum as well.  As Jon had suggested I could submit an add to the WTN for those who may not be online. 
    Tom

• Tom,

I would like two sets for my 35 T also. $38.00 seems like a very fair price. I paid almost that much each for the two rear wheel seals I just replaced.

Mike
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello Everyone,
    I have another update about the Timken 2581-T cone bearing.  I looked them up in the Master Chassis Group Parts Book.  It appears this bearing is used on the 33-34-35 Terraplane, 34-35 UCo & 89-90.  I edited the topic to add 33-34 for those years.  I would be good if someone could verify the parts book as being correct.  I'll wait a little while longer before placing an order for those who've already chimed in.
    Mike,
    I'm interested in where you got the seals.  Do you happen to know the manufacturer and part number. Or if anyone has the ID/OD dimensions I have a Chicago Rawhide catalog that lists I think ever lip type seal ever made.
    Tom
  • 35 Terraplane
    Opps didn't attach this PDF to the last post.
    Tom
  • 35Terra
    35Terra Senior Contributor

Tom,

I would take a set of two also for $38 apiece.

Jim

• Tom,

I got the seals from a shop in Spokane, Wa. where I get a most of my bearings and seals for my farm equipment. I took my 35 Terraplane front bearings in to them and they had them in stock. He actually had an old reference book that listed 35 Terraplane seals and bearings. He had to order the seals from a supplier back East. 

The rear wheel seals are SKP #17124. They are a leather seal. Be sure to lube them well before you install the hub.

The pinion seal for the real end is Timpkin #471141

The front wheel seal is a bugger because newer seals are to thick. They fit the shaft and front hub just fine but if you install them in the hub to far they rub on the bearing. The correct front seal is a National # 5689 which is much thinner.

Mike

This discussion has been closed.