1934 Terraplane PU resto

I recently completed a 13 year resto project on a 1934 Terraplane PU. Engine; 330 cu early Chrysler hemi, Tranny; GM 700r4, Rear; Jaguar independent, Front suspension; Mustang 2. Much sheet metal rust out work including Grill, radiator shell, all fenders, running boards, cab floor, back wall of cab, doors, cowl sides and bed floor. All of the wood was also rotted, and in some cases not enough was left to make patterns. There also was no tail gate or tail lights. More than once I threw a rusty piece of Terraplane across the garage walked out and did not  return for a long time, but all in all it was a rewarding experience and well worth doing. One more great old car saved from the crusher. It is really fun taking it to the local shows , the Chevy and Ford guys have no idea what it is. And it is great when some old Guy comes up and tells me how he wishes he still had the Terraplane his Dad drove. By the way does anyone know of any other 34 PU's. I hope the pictures come through

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    That is one lovely looking car Hal!
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    There are other '34-35 Terraplane pickups.  Samples.
  • Thanks, great to see the old girls! The back wall of the cab in these pictures is like the one on my truck was but  mine was so badly rusted out it needed to be replaced . I formed the new one to the contour of the door and also continued the molding to match the doors.
  • StillOutThere
    You've completed a yeoman's task.   Congratulations.   Would like to see a pic of the back of your cab.   Immediately noticed you had rolled to side body contours.   Did you recreate a wood door hinge pillar or use steel?   Thanks.

• I replaced all of the wood with steel with the exception of the former across the top where the back wall meets the top and the top panel support. This is the only picture of the back of the truck I have on the computer, I hope it will do. I also replaced the floor in the bed, it was just too beat up. Someone must have used it to haul large rocks.
  • StillOutThere
    Very nice work on the back wall of the cab.   These bed floors in original steel are very heavy gauge and a unique stamping unavailable today.   The new wood looks great.
    Thought about a Terra graphic for the tail gate?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    StillOutere
    Hurry, I see the whole picture when I clicked on the graphics to enlarge. Love the Terraplane graphics. And a Ca. truck to boot.

GoodOldHal
    I like very much what you have accomplished with your truck. Especially how you contoured the back side of cab to the doors and continued the molding around the back. Nice touchs to all of the work.

Congratulations on a job very well well well done. Thanks for sharing.

Lee O'Dell
  • StillOutThere, is that your truck? The Terraplane graphics look great, are they painted on or they embossed? That picture answers a couple of questions I had. I thought there was probably a panel between the back of the rear fenders, but was missing on my truck. So I made up a panel just guessing what it would look. There also was no tail light so another guess fix. Thanks for the picture.
  • StillOutThere
    edited March 2015
    GoH, I purchased that truck in Oregon, started restoration, sold it to still current owner Press Kale some 20+ years ago.  Press chose the graphic design which is all paint, not embossed, on the original tail gate..   The truck had the original tail panel from fender to fender under the bed but it was quite mangled and had to be recreated which Press did.   Tail lamp mounting was on the truck and is believed authentic.    Your use of a sedan type tail panel gives a very nice finished look for your modified truck.   

We are not all restorers all the time here and many of us can appreciate resto mods and customs.   The "HEMI" tag on your tail gate tells me to ask to see under your hood and please describe driveline front to back.  Thanks.

Pic of truck when purchased in McMinnville, OR.
  • The engine is a 330 cu in Chrysler hemi, no dino run, but my computer program says about 300hp and 400 ft lb  torque  the transmission is a GM 700 r4 and a jag independent rear. Mustang 2 front suspension. Your truck looked in real good shape, a great restoration project. I like where the rear view mirror is mounted
    Another thing missing on my truck was the hood ornament,I made the bull nose piece hoping to some day find an ornament.
  • StillOutThere
    The side view mirror was an original.   K-GAP reproduced them for years and I think someone (Wildrick?) offers them now.
    Is your body on a basically stock frame?  Then with the suspension mods you mentioned?   If stock frame, what did you have to do with the X-member in order to fit the much larger 700R4?   The Terraplane 3spd was very tiny.   Your custom bull nose is nicely crafted.   Hemi-Terraplane - best of two worlds.

• The frame is stock except I did box it full length although it is over kill at the back end. You know sometimes once one gets started its hard to stop. The X- member is large enough for the 700 R4 except I needed to cut a opening for the spedo sending unit, remove a cross piece and I had to add a small cross member for the tranny rear mount. I used a Fat Mans' Mustang 2 front suspension. The Fat Man cross member fit nicely below the stock Terraplane cross member/ radiator support. I did have to trim off the back of the stock cross member where it curves at each side and attaches to the frame. The biggest problem with the Mustang 2 was the fender support/ mounting brackets. The upper control arm mounting points and the fender mounts were competing with other for a place to attach. But with a little fortitude I was able to satisfy both needs. Thanks for your kind complements.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Good stuff.  A guy who did work on my re-re-rerestoration of my 34 Terraplane coupe has parts for a 34T pickup and wants to rebuild it to a stock 34 pickup.  Speaking of rust, he figures the only way he can do it is to get a 34 sedan and use that as a donor car.  I haven't seen any 34s for sale in WTN or anyplace else lately (other than the 34 2-door a while back, but this requires the 4-door chassis, as I understand it).  If anybody has a lead on a 34T sedan, give a shout - might be able to get 1 more 34T pickup on the road.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Check the club forum, there is a '35 Hudson Sedanb parts car available which would have the structure needed for the pickup cab.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    edited March 2015
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    That green one was a four door sedan.  Not an original truck.image
This discussion has been closed.