Routing heater hose

Does someone have a picture or diagram of the routing of  '49 262 heater hoses?
Thanks

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015

Cyl. head to the outboard Ranco valve connection, inboard Ranco conn. to upper heater core, lower heater core to water pump.  There was a change with '51 model production that reversed the heater core connections, but if you believe you have the original 48-50 type heater core, you can stay with the original routing.

Per the manual, the '48-50 heater cores had an air vent at the top, so I assume one could check the type core by blocking one pipe and blowing into the other.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    All of the hard line from water pump back to heater hose, that I have are badly corroded. I'm trying to find someone that can duplicate them with the fitting, in stainless. Seems to be a problem finding anyone that can bend 5/8" stainless tubing.
  • So the line from the pump back is a hard steel line?
    My car came with no heater hose or valve, I've located a valve but now I'm not sure what the routing should look like. I've attached a shot from a '53 Hornet 308 but it seems to have an extra loop setup at the firewall.
  • KTRON
    KTRON Member
    edited March 2015
    Im still new to Hudsons, but perhaps you can take a look in the Eaton Aeroquip hose book and cross reference what you need. Eaton offers a variety of different hoses, some more flexible than others. I have been using Aeroquip EH226 hose on my truck. It is very rigid, you wont need a stiffner spring. Just avoid sharp bends. Look at Page 20. If you want to bend stainless pipe of any kind, go to ebay, and type in Rigid, Imperial or Swagelok 5/8" tube bender. With the right flaring equipment you can put a single or double bubble flare in it to make a good seal with just a ring clamp, or if you want to get fancy, you can buy a brakequip flaring kit and put 37* or 45* JIC flares on the ends of your line and use stainless steel inverted flare tube nuts. This is all way more truck related than Hudson, but it'd work if nothing can be found,

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_479318.pdf

Chris
  • Park_W

Yes, on the '48-'54 cars the connection from the heater core nipple to the water pump was originally metal . . .  actually metal tubing coming back from the water pump to about  6" forward of the back of the cylinder head, then rubber hose from there to the heater core connection.  I'd post a photo, but I've got a non-original arrangement on my Hornet, so it would just confuse things more.

Can someone please post a pic of the standard layout there on the firewall and nearby area?

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Park, The connection on the 48-50 cars from water pump to heater nipple was a rubber hose. The metal pipe from the water pump going  7/8 of the way to the heater came with the wide head blocks. What people have done to the original setup over the years is up to them but thats how it was originally.
  • Park_W
    Thanks for the correction, Lance.  I suffer from my only stepdowns' being '51s!
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    No problem Park. I suffer from stepdown parts in my dreams
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Here are the pictures of a heater tube from a 52 308.
    http://s294.photobucket.com/user/studebaker2/library/heater hose line?sort=3&page=1
    One question I have, when I put the twin h air cleaners on, the back one touches the rear of the tube to hose section. Was a different one used for the Twin H set up?
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Kdancy

My 52 Twin H has about 1/2" clearance between hose and Twin H air cleaner. The tube rises slightly as it runs along head toward the rear and top of tube is about same height as top of head just before up turn for hose connection..

Lee O'Dell
  • I have a non-Hudson Ranco valve. Since I'm not sure the hose connections are in the same orientation as the original Hudson's, could someone explain the routing in terms of the Ranco valve as valve side and non-valve side?
    Guess I'm getting slow in my old age, sorry.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Maybe it would be simpler just to know: Is it the hose from the head that goes directly to the pipe on the Ranco with the valve in it?
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Yes, The flow is from head....through Ranco (or whatever) valve....to top of heater core....from bottom heater core back to water pump.
This discussion has been closed.