Seeking grease seals for 53 Hornet front hubs

briankarleyhotmailcouk
briankarleyhotmailcouk Expert Adviser
edited February 2015 in HUDSON
Hello,
can anyone advise on a source for a grease seal for a 53 Hornet front hub please.
 I have obtained a National 473010 (1.625 x 2.502 x 0.312) lip seal, as listed by Rock Auto, but this does not fit because:
1. It is 5/16 inch  thick (whereas the old felt seal is 1/4 inch thick)
2. The old seal has a slight recess (1/16) which enabled the seal to clear the inner bearing inner race. The 473010 has no such recess.
The end result is that the new seal cannot be seated properly in the hub, becase the lip seal comes into conatct with the inner race and then distorts, before the seal can be seated properly in the hub.
 Can anyone suggest an alternative seal, or does anyone know where I can obtaine some new old stock felt seals ?

Many thanks for your help,
Regards,
Brian.

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I'm not sure where Rock Auto gets their application information, but as far as I'm concerned, they are usually only about half right! ! !
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015
    I'm using the modern 5/16" thick seals in my Hornet front hubs. The moulded seals have 2 lips, if you carefully slice off the inner lip they fit and seal just fine.
    I've recently pulled my front hubs to check how well the seals are sealing, and they are doing the job. No grease in the brakes and no dirt in the bearings.

The photo shows an original seal, an unmodified modern seal and a modified seal.
  • many thanks everyone  for the helpful advice.
    Regards, Brian
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

For what it's worth, my list, which I think Alex posted online, gives these numbers for stepdown front seal.

CR15649, National 6407, NAPA 16246

• Does anyone have a a pair of National #6507 (original style, new old stock)  front hub seals I could buy, or can anyone suggest a supplier. Unfortunately Dale Cooper is out of stock at the moment.
    Thank you,
    Brian.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Who else used these front hub grease seals? From memory its Hudson and one of the other independents?
  • Hi Kenneth,
    I just responded to your PM. I would like to buy  a pair of seals, please see my PM.
    Best Regards, Brian.
  • Hi Kenneth,
    The seals look fine, I have just PM'd you and sent the payment.
    Regards, Brian.
  • I was careful removing the old seal (using the trick of putting the nut back on the spindle, then use the drum as a puller, hook the inner bearing over the nut, and off it pops). Compare the RockAuto new seal to the original...it's almost the right size, but not quite  :)  at least the new wrong parts only cost a couple bucks each.

I'll reuse the old felt seals, they're fine.

This discussion has been closed.