Dome light switch

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I have several stepdown dome lights. All have broken switches. A search of local switch sources turns up several slide switches, but all have a short "knob" and they don't extend out of the housing enough to function. Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments

• Dave do you mean the switch on the base plate for the actual dome light or the switch for the rear quarter lights? 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
  • SuperDave
    The switch that is part of the dome light over the windshield.
  • Dave, How many do you need?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

To high-jack the post, the wire harness on my 54 does not seem to have a wire to turn on the two lights in the back seat of my coupe.  Were they wired to the door switches or to a switch somewhere under the dash.??

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Coupes with rear quarter lights we're equipped with slide style pillar switches left and right. Also wired so that when either door opened they as well dome light came on.
  • SuperDave
    Dave, How many do you need?
    I'll let you know after the one I have on the way is tried.
  • Ok.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I guess your experience with Hudson lighting is limited.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Ken, my experience with Y n Z has been a nightmare.  There support has been the worse part of the purchase.  All I ever got from them was excuses---but, moving on.  I have decided to place a switch under the dash to turn on the back interior lights.  I have it wired and it works so I am done with all the problems of wiring this 54.  Today, I started working on the shifting linkage.  It is a bent, kobbled mess!!!!
  • SuperDave

I am working on a "Clabbered up" 49 super two door. It only had the manually operated light over the windshield. No holes for the jamb switches, lights or pillar switch.There wasn't more than a few inches of electrical wire in the entire car when I got it. Also no lights, switches, instruments, upholstery, seats or anything!  I installed the rear lights from a 51 Hornet.I had to weld in the brackets that were not there. I also installed the door jamb switches and the door jamb lamps from the same 51 Hornet. I wired the system to light all the lights (5) with either the manual switch on the front light or either of the door jamb switches. I didn't bother with a switch on the  pillar. I wired the car one wire at a time and made a schematic while I did. This is to help me remember where stuff is and to help the poor sole that ends up with it when I'm gone.

Final paint will be a light yellow. Since it's not a Hornet or Wasp, I'll call it a "Yellajacket"

• Hey Dave will it be a Commodore Yellajacket or a Super Yellajacket?
  • SuperDave
    Zuper
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Yes Brownie, Y&Z's excuse for forgetting to include the harness that goes to the rear of the car was : "We have a newbie doing the wiring harnesses...."
    Unsupervised ?
  • ratwasp
    ratwasp Member
    Anyone have a door jam switch for sale?
    also looking for courtesy light lenses
This discussion has been closed.