Twin H air cleaner elements

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
Thought I'd post this for others that may be looking ---
I found an older post on for the twin h air cleaner element part number and ordered the Fram CA372 that was recommended.
It will work but I don't really like the fit. The CA101 and Wix 42110 are slightly better fits.
So I did some more hunting and found these numbers--
Fram CA372  H=3.06"  ID=4.67"  OD=6.06"
Fram CA101  H=3.02"  ID=5"      OD= 6.39" bottom 6.69" top
Wix 42110     H=3"     ID=5"      OD=6.35"
NAPA 2110   same as wix, made by wix, slightly cheaper, wix slightly finer filter

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Kerry-

You didn't state whether these were for the dry air cleaners or the oil bath, but assume they are for the former.  If you are into digging, maybe you can drum up the filters to use on the oil bath if one decides to use a dry filter.  I know we've had that information before, but I think it was on the old forum.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    K&N E2550 fits nicely IMHO
  • DavidC
    Understood, Ken, but I break even with your 4th filter- this one is reusable. Will certainly pay for itself within 8 years, as I plan to drive a lot. The flow is better. And the cool red color doesn't hurt either. But, to each his own.
  • I started using the K&N years ago because they pass a significantly greater amount of air - and that increased breathing equals more horsepower and greater gas mileage.  I'm even using a K&N on the 3X5's.  Just to add to the discussion.

Allan

• Donaldson might have an air filter which will interchange. I believe they make the best air filters, and run them in every large engine I own,

Chris
  • DavidC
    Hhmmm, Ken. I may be mixing apples and oranges here. All I can tell you is it fits snugly under the lids of my dry air cleaners, but admittedly mine are the later Twin H variety. I believe I had to gently press the edges of the filter inward when pressing the lid on. It is larger than the canister diameter, but seals well against the canister and does stay within the lid. Attached is a pic of my type of twin H and then my K&Ns installed. I cannot say whether the earlier Twin H housings are smaller in diameter or not...
    When I look at the K&N cross reference chart, for the above air filter elements, CA 101, or 42110, guess what? E2550 comes up every time.
  • DavidC

BTW here is the cross reference program which led me to conclude E2550 is the match for the above filters

http://www.knfilters.com/search/cross_reference.aspx

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I'm not familiar with Donaldson air filters. How much are they? Is it a east coast brand? Have not seen it in my neck of the woods, excuse me, concrete freeway land of So. Calif.
    Lee O'Dell
  • DavidC
    One more thing I remembered about the K&N; there is a recess on one end which allows the lid to fit very well. So, the only concern would be does the earlier canisters with the wind baffles interfere at the canister end using a 7 in filter? Has anyone tried it?
  • DavidC
    Ken, I cannot comment on increased power since I never ran this motor without them.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015

The CA372 won't fit in the later round end air cleaners.

• Excellent thread - very helpful - i am looking up upgrading to the K&N's which i have had excellent experience with on all of my other cars - they don't look "period correct," so i'll keep the paper elements for the car shows! thanks again for all of this info
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited June 2018
    I originally bought the "recommended" size filters for my cleaners, and I'm not sure what the deal was, but they fit horribly!  So I returned them, and took my own measurements, and found that the K&N E-3270 was the size I needed.  They are the exact measurements as the OEM filters that were on my cleaners, except about 1/4" longer.  Not an issue if you have enough thread on the rod.  
  • Thanks for this info – as of 6/24/18, the k&n 2550 dimensions are 8.2 x 8.2 x 3.4 inches –

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YKT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the k&n 3270 dimensions are 6.6 x 6.3 x 3.5 inches –

https://www.amazon.com/3270-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B00062YLRU

it looks to me like the 2550 size has changed?! (see, above posts from 3 ½ years ago) Thanks for posting this updated information – I am ordering the 3270, and I’ll let you know

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor

I think the dimensions shown above may be for the box itself, for shipping purposes. When I look at the K&N site, I get the following dimensions for these two P/N's;

E-2550; 5.19 ID/7.00 OD/3.12 Ht.

E-3270; 5.00 ID/6.38 OD/3.25 Ht.

• Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited June 2018
    i received the k&n e-3270's today - they fit great - i just needed to push hard on the wing-nut to get the threads to start - highly recommended!
  • i received the k&n e-3270's today - they fit great - i just needed to push hard on the wing-nut to get the threads to start - highly recommended!
    Woohoo!  You're the first known person I've converted to the glorious ways of the 3270s! ;-) 
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I have a pair of the original wire mesh that they used in good shape a little bit of surface rust but not crushed.  Ray from Canada
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    The wire mesh air filters were good at keeping birds and large rocks out of your carburetors.  

• onerare39 said:
    The wire mesh air filters were good at keeping birds and large rocks out of your carburetors.  
    Dirt and dust, not so much... ?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    were these filters supposed to be soaked with oil or just the oil bath air cleaners.
This discussion has been closed.