34 Terraplane rear end width

Can anyone tell me what the mounting face to face distance is for a 34 Hudson Terraplane Coupe? I'm thinking it was around 57". I currently have a S10 rear in my Coupe and want to replace it with a Currie 9". Thanks

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Please keep us informed as to what you eventually find for your car.  I know that a lot of people want to make their pre-War Hudsons more "roadable" to keep up with today's traffic, without necessarily doing a lot of mods.  Changing the rearend ratio to something more "highway", is a nice, simple way to do that.  The problem nowadays is that the traditional 1960's Mustang and MoPar rear axles -- which guys used to transplant to Hudosns -- are not as available as they used to be, and the cars from which they're salvaged are, themselves, becoming highly collectible.  There must be rearends out there from more modern vehicles, which will be cheap and whose track dimensions will make them a good fit for the '30's Hudsons.
  • dustymaxhudson
    dustymaxhudson Expert Adviser
    Currie sells 9" rear ends from 54" on up. I just need to get the mounting plate to mounting plate width so I know witch one I need to order. I'll probably pull the tires off and measure the S10 rear I currently have again and just subtract an inch. The S10 is a little close to the fender and I'd like a 1/2" more clearance between the fender and tire. I believe my axle was 57" when I measured it a couple of years ago, but I didn't write it down and I don't trust my memory when spending that kind of money.
  • Walt, Just how is the 34 Hudson Terraplane Coupe restoration going?  Is it painted and road legal yet? Photos?
  • dustymaxhudson

Joe, The coupe is currently at Yokum's Signature Hot Rods getting the 9" rear end, air ride and 4 link installed. They are also installing the trunk lift. From, it's going for paint and upholstery. Hopefully, after many years and lots of cash, I will be on the road by fall. 

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Am interested in hearing what you're doing with the car, and seeing how it all fits together (pictures?).  Is the Currie 9", air ride, 4-link, etc., the only mods to the car?

My guess is that the front end probably already has MII or equivalent IFS, and the rest of the drivetrain (engine/trans) is probably 'driving the change' in the rear end.  That S10 rear probably isn't hefty enough for the rest of the drivetrain (?).

• dustymaxhudson
    Mustang II front end with air ride, 350/turbo 350 drive train with 2 four barrels, modified to a little over 400HP.  
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Mustang II front end with air ride, 350/turbo 350 drive train with 2 four barrels, modified to a little over 400HP.  

Yup - I think I recall your posts on the car, and the work behind it. 

That S10 rear is the 'weak link' in the drivetrain (so to speak).  Better to have something that can handle the power capable of being put through it...

• dustymaxhudson
    Finally got the rear end in the Coupe. Put a Currie nine inch with a Strange Aluminum 3.55 limited slip chunk in. Has Wilwood 11" disk brakes front and rear. Now I have to by new tires and rims because the 15's no longer fit.  Have RideTech air in both the Mustang ll front end and the Currie rear end. I was planning on upgrading anyway. Very, very close to sending her out for paint, if no others surprises pop up.
  • dustymaxhudson

I know it's been awhile since I last gave everyone an update on the coupe, but a lot has gone on in the last couple of years! The 34 is finally at the painters and I will post some pictures once it's painted. Once I get it back from paint, the coupe will be rewired and the 406 and exhaust installed. Then it will go to the upholster for the finishing touches. Alumacraft is building me a grill insert and hopefully it will get here soon! This has been a long journey, and hopefully I'll have it done in time to give myself a good Christmas present. A lot of time and money has gone into this project, but it has been built to my specifications and vision and there will not be another one like it!

This discussion has been closed.