Inexpensive Cross-Country Shipping of Parts

edited December 2014 in OFF TOPIC
Has anyone used Fastenal for inexpensive shipping of large, heavy car parts (like engine blocks and transmissions)? 

Yes, Fastenal!  The bolt and screw stores! 

Apparently they offer a service whereby their trucks will ship your items (if packed and brought to the nearest Fastenal store).  When one of their trucks is half full, they fill it up with customers' items to ship.  It goes to the Fastenal store  nearest your destination.  If it's heavy, therefore, make sure that the receiving and the shipping stores have a lift truck to get it off / on your truck at either end.  Prices are apparently much less than USPS, Fedex, or UPS.  And with heavy items like engine blocks, it appears that you can simply strap them to a wooden pallet, you don't need to build an expensive crate for them. 

Because they depend on spare space in their trucks, to ship items, you may be pushed to the back of the line.  No expedited or 3-day ground service, here!  But if you are willing to wait, you can save some money!

I know nothing more, except that -- on the couple of websites where I saw this mentioned -- those who had used Fastenal seemed to be pretty happy with it.  Here is a discussion on the Model T Forum:  http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/496104.html .  And the Model A folks: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=701840 

Comments

• Hello Jon, Yes, I and Gary Hayes are considering using Fastenal to ship an engine block to the Maas'. Yes,they have to be on a pallet, or in a crate that allows the forks of  forklift to go under it. If you are shipping a block with accessories, carbs, etc on it, I suggest you bolt it to the pallet and build a box around it, to better protect it from damage. DO NOT let any part of the engine or whatever you are shipping to hang out past the pallet, get a pallet big enough. If we go with Fastenal, we will report back on our experience with them. Kenneth
        PS: I shipped a Tatra T603 transaxle to HET'er Danny Barnett in Las Vegas from Freiburg, Germany last month by air freight. I and my cousins Markus & Harry Ufheil got and reinforced a crate for it, and put wood blocks under it so it could be lifted by a forklift.  The total cost was 540 Euro. It got to Vegas in 5 days. No damages. The customs lady didn't assess a duty on it, even though I invoiced it for 1300 euros value. Seems they sometimes don't assess  duty for personal items. The crate flew on Lufthansa Air Cargo out of Frankfurt. The logistics were handled by Groesch Transport in Freiburg. The owner is an old car enthusiast himself. All went well. Many thanks to my cousin Harry Ufheil for helping with important details.
  • Most interesting, Ken.  Do let us know how Fastenal worked out (if you choose it).

I wonder if another approach on protecting the accessories, would be to build a much smaller crate (integral with the pallet) to hold just the generator, starter, distributor, carb, etc.?  Then the openings on the block could be taped over to prevent dirt from getting in where the accessories had been bolted.  This would save having to build an enormous crate to protect the engine and all its components.
  • One thing that can be done to keep rain water, and dirt off a shipment is to shrink wrap it in the plastic. Removing the pendulous bits and packing them into a smaller box and strapping it to the pallet with the larger part works. But if you absolutely want nothing falling or hitting the item you are shipping, building a 2X 4 and plywood box around it helps a lot.
  • Ken is right- protect what you ship as much as possible. I recently shipped an H-51hydro from New Orleans to Greenville, SC. Charge one-way was $125.00. Service was good, but there was some scuffing where something came in contact during the return trip. Boxing a good idea. Wrapping too. Walt-LA
  • One more thing: Use wood screws, NOT nails! Nails, under vibration, tend to pull out and your crate can fall apart in transit, or when they lift / handle it. I find the wood screws easier to put in and remove with a cordless drill than pounding /prying with a claw hammer.
  • I have used drywall screws, but find that they are brittle and can fracture quite easily. So I use deck screws (same design), but bend rather than break and they don't rust.
  • Deck screws are what I meant. The kind used to fasten the boards to decks and fences. Drywall is very light duty.

• edited December 2014

Used them to ship two Hudson transmissions to TX from MD.  Pretty good service, however be prepared to 'drop off' the shipment at the nearest Fastenal location - and the same goes for the 'delivery' end of the shipment too.

Note:  Secured to pallet with bolts, washers, decking screws and zip-ties - wrapped with 'Saran wrap' (sandwich wrap)...

• Just as the online business and e-commerce grew, shipping and courier services came to more in demand and with that time and money became the issue for basic customers. But thanks to same day courier service and companies, they are more reliable and fast.
  • i have used Fastenal  six or seven times never any problems. much cheaper than the others. very easy to do go to there web site fill out the form on line and submit. always a quick response with a price ,most times the same day you will know the cost. highly recommended.
  • I used Fastenal to ship an engine from Randy Maas---VERY reasonable--however carb was damaged in shipping--looked like something fell on it and cracked the casting. Engine was nicely bolted to pallet---I would protect the externals next time I use them.
  • used fastenal since they started shipping stuff. prices gone up latley, but still cheaper. sign up for bikeflights on lighter items, say its bike parts, super fast fedex service with that and cheap!!!!