City and state listing under avatar

lostmindlostmind Posts: 1,230Expert Adviser
edited November 2014 in OFF TOPIC
Anybody else think it's a good idea?

Comments

• SkyDadSkyDad Posts: 84Member
    Agreed!
  • Lee ODellLee ODell Posts: 2,700Senior Contributor
    OK by me along with real name. It's nice to know who you communicate with and home location. Someone on the forum may live in my neighborhood and not know it.

Lee O'Dell
  • 46HudsonPU46HudsonPU Posts: 556Administrator
    edited November 2014

Except - Display of that type of information isn't an option, and that data isn't collected, required or even asked-for (i.e., no fields for that information) by the forum software.

Look at your own profiles - where does it have fields for any of that information?

It can always be entered into your individual 'signatures', however I don't see too many even posting their names here (Lee is an exception to that observation).

• Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,673Senior Contributor
    The internet can be a risky place to be posting too much personal information. Especially in an "open" forum.
  • BrowniepetersenBrowniepetersen Posts: 3,045Senior Contributor
    I have always posted my name.  I think that this is a great idea but I know a lot of folks want to stay hidden.
  • StillOutThereStillOutThere Posts: 838Expert Adviser
    You are welcome to know what state I'm in.   But not welcome to look up my city because there are always idiots with no personal boundaries or respect who will come knocking at the door.   I've had drunk car guys at my front door at 2 am.   Anyone else?
  • RL ChiltonRL Chilton Posts: 5,131Administrator, Moderator
    The internet can be a risky place to be posting too much personal information. Especially in an "open" forum.
    Agreed.  
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 6,925Administrator
    edited November 2014
    This is one of the features that differentiates this "Hudson Open Forum" from the H-E-T Club Forum; here, we're much more public and tend to use "handles".  Over there, we use our real names because the overwhelming majority consists of Club members, and if fact Club members have access (on that forum) to all the contact information of fellow Forum members (through the website's registry at that site).

Although this would be convenient feature here, I get the feeling that our webmaster is doing his best to hold this poor creaky old forum together with duct tape and baling wire, just to keep it going.  And probably improving it is the last thing on his mind.  The way this forum was devised (or cobbled), was bad from the outset.  We inherited it from Classiccar and have done our best to keep it from self destructing.  I'm no expert in the matter, but I believe that we stuck with this format only in order to hold onto the 20,000 + "legacy" discussions that are available here.  Otherwise, we could probably have moved to a simple, inexpensive and modern format and just chucked the 20,000 old discussions, as valuable as they might have been to be able to access.
  • cpr3333cpr3333 Posts: 213Expert Adviser

Hmmmm...

Maybe I should redo my signature.

• RL ChiltonRL Chilton Posts: 5,131Administrator, Moderator
    I would, Chris.  You just never know.  
  • lostmindlostmind Posts: 1,230Expert Adviser
    edited November 2014

I just checked 7 other forums , all have a place for your location . Looks like 90%

put at least their state. Google RL Chilton , you can get a lot of info there.

It was just a suggestion .

• hudsontechhudsontech Posts: 4,606Senior Contributor
    While I don't have my location in my avatar I do sign my posts Alex Burr Memphis, TN.  After all in this day and age anyone with the savvy can call up just about anything on your on the net.   Example:  I called Geico to get an insurance estimate for my car.  Gave the lady my name and she came up almost immediately saying "Ok, you're retired military so we can give you this rate",  and so on.  I'm in the Memphis phone book anyway so I'm not giving anything away by adding Memphis, TN after my signature.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • DocHublerDocHubler Posts: 980Expert Adviser
    I agree Alex!
  • 46HudsonPU46HudsonPU Posts: 556Administrator
    edited November 2014

Except - Display of that type of information isn't an option, and that data isn't collected, required or even asked-for (i.e., no fields for that information) by the forum software.

Look at your own profiles - where does it have fields for any of that information?

It can always be entered into your individual 'signatures', however I don't see too many even posting their names here (Lee is an exception to that observation).

Just saying - That particular info isn't in any member's profile, isn't part of the software format for this forum, and isn't collected when an individual registers.  That means there is no 'switch' that can be flipped, nor any 'plug-in' that can be added to 'display' it (i.e., if it isn't there, it can't be displayed).

However, it can be done by each member:  The choice ends up being an individual one - Information can be manually typed-in on each post/thread, or automated done by adding it as a 'signature' (via your individual profile).

• lostmindlostmind Posts: 1,230Expert Adviser
    Thanks Rick , it's an explanation . I'll try the signature
  • BrowniepetersenBrowniepetersen Posts: 3,045Senior Contributor

My first thought was that since I am in the book, anyone could look me up.  Then I remembered that we have a lot of folks here who do not belong to the HET so I guess I will start putting a signature block at the end.

Brownie

Willard, Utah