WTN

ArkieJazzArkieJazz Posts: 418Member
edited November 2014 in OFF TOPIC
I got my WTN today. It's full of fluff and not much substance as usual. The real reason I had to sit down and write this is due to the choice of the cover car photo. I have nothing at all against the owner of the red Hollywood. I'm sure he's a great guy and all. But don't we have any standards as to what is appropriate for use as a WTN cover car? We have some very nice original and accurately restored Hudsons in HET. Why not use one of them for the cover car? Is it all about the numbers game of "reaching out" to the "modified" crowd? If so, you're going to run off the people who think that Hudson did a nice job building Hudsons without some wrench jockey trying to reinvent the wheel. And then there's the case of the French Lick national meet report issue. Cover car was a Metropolitan....a badge engineered Nash... And there were some primo Hudsons at French Lick....Come on.. let's feature real Hudsons. It's not like they don't exist.

Comments

• hudsontechhudsontech Posts: 4,606Senior Contributor
    Arkie, it's all about tolerance.  Every Hudson rolling down the road, modified or not, is one less Hudson that ended up in a scrap yard.  I've seen pictures in the WTN of parts cars in fields.  These are not running Hudsons, so should we not show pictures of them and put their pictures in the WTN???
    I remember a Hudson that showed up at one National, years ago.  It was modified with a V-8 and a few other goodies.  The fellow that owned it said he had found it in a salvage yard but didn't know where to find parts or info on  restoring it original.  Nor did he really have the bucks to restore it to original.  He used what he on hand.  Another Hudson rescued.
    I suppose you are against mods such as disc brakes, brighter headlights, even a third brake light in the rear window,  because it isn't Hudson.  Think about the days when these cars were new. (and I was learning to drive back then - yeah, I'm an old phart!!)  There were no interstates as we have today.  And there certainly wasn't the traffic congestion we have today.  In that respect Hudsons fit into the norm of the day.  Fast forward 50, 60 years later.  Interstate highways that are wall to wall congestion. Better brakes are needed.  Better lights are needed.  Other safety items are needed.  Yes, a stock, restored Hudson can keep up with traffic (at least the step-downs - 30's and 40's cars might have trouble) but can they do it safely??.
    I don't know what year Hudson you have but I can tell you this - somewhere in the mix Hudson had spark plugs that said "Hudson" on them.  If your Hudson came with these in it, is your Hudson no longer stock if you change to another brand??  Think about it.
    My take, after 45 years in the H-E-T club, is that you pays your money, you can paint the car purple with pink polka dots for all I care.  I've learned to enjoy the cars, no matter what they contain.  My only request to those who install such items such as V-8 engines, etc, is that it be done in such a way that another owner can restore back to original without to much expense and trouble.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • railknightrailknight Posts: 308Expert Adviser

Arkie,

For the reasons you listed above, I too, at first, was a bit surprised by the use of a photo of a Hudson Metropolitan on the front cover of the WTN spotlighting the French Lick National.  Nevertheless, it was a car sold by Hudson dealers and consequently is a part of Hudson history.  And, this also really helps to demonstrate to those who aren't familiar with Hudsons that this foreign built, cute (as some say), little car is somewhat of a Hudson.

Dan

• Hienkel429Hienkel429 Posts: 88Member
    Hey all, 

Just my .02.  I am relatively new to the HET club and enjoy getting the WTN, but I have two little people in my house who arguably enjoy getting it even more.  My 6 year old son and 5 year old daughter love looking through it at all the cars, and my son has his eyes peeled for anything "Hornet."  They are excited about learning about HET vehicles and both my kids have brought in Hornet side badges to school for show and tell.  I, personally,  have learned of many models I never knew about and the options available to me once I get my '51 running and stopping.  My kids are eager to help me work on the car and get it finished so we can go on meets.  My 6 year old tells his friends that the car will be his first car once its finished. (I see a Super Six in he future)  LOL
    My point is this, for new people to HET it is a nice range of Hudson products, technical articles, social life, and part sources.  For my kids, the WTN sits in good company with Highlights, Popular Science, and Zoobooks.  I think if the WTN becomes catered to one crowd or another, people will feel alienated and disinterested and then the WTN would be no longer.  By staying welcoming and expansive in scope the WTN continues to attract readers whether it be a 35 year old male (me) or my 5 year old daughter.  

Just my .02

- Ray
  • DocHublerDocHubler Posts: 980Expert Adviser
    Sam has done a great job as editor.  Give him a break!.  Frankly, finding material to put in the magazine is a tough job -- especially articles that aren't "fluff" however you may define that.  Suggest you try to write up and collect appropriate photos to submit to the magazine, and encourage others to do so as well.  Or try your hand at your chapter's newsletter if you haven't already.  You'll find that there are few contributors of printable materials in general -- it seems difficult to get many usable pictures.  Personally, I think it's great to see something a little different from time to time, and it's all connected to Hudson anyway.  After all, how many Hornet sedans do you need to see on the cover?  Try to remember how much volunteer work goes into bringing the WTN and newsletters to members all the time.
  • SkyDadSkyDad Posts: 84Member
    edited November 2014
    I am only two months into my first Hudson purchase, a 1957 Hudson Hornet Super. Some might argue that Hudson ended in 54 once they merged with Nash and moved to Kenosha, WI. I agree with the responses above and appreciate being accepted in this community. I have a sincere appreciation for those who have the time, money, and patience to restore any car to it's original glory, but I also have an extreme respect for those who just love their vehicles for what they are, modified or not. Each individual has a unique relationship with their vehicle(s). We should never be too quick to judge or pass judgment on someone else's passion or importance of a vehicle that doesn't necessarily meet our personal standards. I absolutely love my car. I love the awful smell of the weather damaged interior. I love the chipped chrome on the bumpers and dented bumperettes (I like to think they were dented at a Drive-In movie). Call it a Hudson...call it a Nash...call it a Hash. I very proudly call it mine, and I look forward to every minute I have to work on it and enjoy it.
  • PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 842Administrator
    As an ex-editor of a club magazine I know how hard it was to try and get people to contribute. A lot of my time was spent chasing people for articles and even when they arrived the actual editing of said article was another bunch of time.

The magazine is there to help promote the club and I think that anything that helps that deserves a place on the cover. We can't all afford #1 (or even #2) cars and to those people that work to keep them on the road I say "well done" 

I have been trying to think of things to write in terms of articles or even drop-ins. I have a couple of ideas that I'd like to move forward and will hopefully do so soon but until they appear then they are of no use to Sam at all. Difficult to have a blank page with "Coming Soon" on it

I have no problems at all with what is on/in the magazine. I appreciate the effort that goes into it and , as I said, know from first hand experience how hard it can be
  • hudsontechhudsontech Posts: 4,606Senior Contributor
    edited November 2014
    Like Paul says, the hard part is getting people to write articles.  It's usually the old "Oh, I can't write" excuse.  But even telling them to write it any way they can and the editor will smooth it out doesn't work.  For the short time I did the New England Chapter newsletter before I moved to Memphis I was lucky in that I had a bucket full of material and I also got material off the internet, being careful to get permission first to re-publish and making sure the contributor got a copy of the issue their story appeared in.
    I'm in the process, at the moment, of scanning Geoff Clark's tech tips to be put in the online library.  Geoff is a classic case of a Hudson club member with a ton of experience and knowledge that could be lost if he didn't put it on paper.  So it will not be lost when his time to join the big Hudson International upstairs.  We have so many talented people who are not putting their knowledge on paper (or the net) which will be lost forever down the line.  I have a most of WTN's back to 2006 so will get Geoff's articles online.  I'm working on getting earlier WTN's.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • ArkieJazzArkieJazz Posts: 418Member
    I was a charter member of the Dust Bowl Chapter....(have since retired to Arkansas).... I served our chapter in several capacities, including putting out the Dust Bowl News.  Hosted the Palo Duro meet for many years and had a part in putting together the Big Country region of HET.  All this to say that I didn't just pop up here suddenly.  I'd like to see our club evolve to the point that we could be known as the outfit where the Hudson heritage was truly honored rather than as the picnic club with a bunch of "almost Hudsons" at our forefront.
    You guys probably won't like this either, but I think it's a bad mistake for a club which considers itself to be a "family" type organization to endorse the sale of alcohol. 
  • Park_WPark_W Posts: 2,545Senior Contributor
    Arkie, maybe those of us who lean toward restoring and keeping the cars to pretty much original configuration should establish a special interest group as have the Jet Set and the Modifieds!
    edited November 2014
    NA
  • 50C8DAN50C8DAN Posts: 1,790Senior Contributor
    edited November 2014
    One thing the WTN could add and I have said this several times before is a "From The Archives" section.  There are many many excellent tech and historical article written by authors that are no longer with us and grew up in a Hudson family, worked at the Hudson factory or a Hudson dealer, or just had a great history working on Hudsons.  Why the club will not do this is a mystery to me.  I often pull out some of my old WTNs from the 80s to find an article on something I need to know for my car or someone has asked me about Hudsons.  This is an easy way to add substances with out a lot of pain and at the same time help new members find valuable information about their cars.
  • 53jetman53jetman Posts: 1,225Senior Contributor
    I will go along with Park's suggestion.  I too believe a special interest group for those of us that lean toward keeping a Hudson all Hudson is a great idea.  I choose to believe that the guys that acquire a Hudson needing restoration, go ahead and start replacing the engine, transmission, rear axle and front suspension without ever previously riding in or driving a true Hudson would think very differently about the project they own if they would take the time to locate a club member and ask to go for a ride first.  Most people cannot believe the riding qualities and road ability that the HMCC offered back in the day.  I have had great fun letely allowing the owner and the general manager of the dealership I work for to drive my '54 Hornet.  They simply cannot believe what they are experiencing in an automobile that was built over 60 years ago.
  • Ric West INRic West IN Posts: 454Senior Contributor

Amen to your comments Dan!  I have been a member since Summer of 1965.  Have a variety of Hudsons/

Essex to "play" with.  Have my WTN's from  August 1965.   So much valuable info.and interesting /useful

Stories. Would love to have this info shared with younger members.

"Ric"  Pinder

• PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 842Administrator
    From the Archives sounds a great idea ; we all embrace the past by having these cars so let's take that a step further and read about what people were doing way back when!
  • I agree with Arkie 100%. Go to a local car show, and all you see are "MONGRELS". At a Hudson meet I expect to see the real thing.
    What exactly are we saying is the "real thing"? I'm honestly a bit confused by this conversation. Are we saying that only numbers matching, fully restored Hudson's should attend meets? What is considered a "mongrel" Hudson? The 5-6-7's? The Nash? The modified?
  • Lee ODellLee ODell Posts: 2,700Senior Contributor
    SkyDad

Group One
    Maybe it means no repaints, no rechrome, original seats, wiring, glass, tires, gas tank, brakes, zero miles, and so on and so on. Just as it came off assembly line without dealer prep.

Group Two
    Total restoration as close to Group One as possible.

Group Three
    Beautify to one liking and as money permits.

Group Four
    Daily drivers. In any condition as long as it will go anywhere at any time all the time..

Group Five
    Dreamers. Have ten fixer-uppers that one day will be part of ??? group.

Group Six
    Somewhere between Group 4 & 5

Group 7
    Just having one is all that matters. Running or not. Probably parts car or close to it.

I'm in there somewhere I hope. LOL

Lee O'Dell
    It all makes perfect sense now, Lee. Thank you kindly, sir.
  • Park_WPark_W Posts: 2,545Senior Contributor
    Hope you all realize my comment above was somewhat tongue-in cheek.  I do prefer nowadays to have them done pretty much as original, but can't gripe at ones that aren't, having put Olds engines in three different Hudsons in my youth!  It's simply a matter of one's preferences.
  • onerare39onerare39 Posts: 1,010Expert Adviser, Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like some of you are wanting to judge people, and their cars... good luck with that!

John Forkner

I second that Arkie about advertising booze in the our WTN.

Lee O'Dell

Every MONGREL car show I have been to I see some very nice original cars peeking out between the MONGRES. Unfortunately, rarely a Hudson.

If you want to see a crowed of people around your car take a HUDSON. Any Hudson in any condition. Because they are rarely seen people want to take pictures and ask all kinds of questions.

People subconsciously are tired of the same old MONGRELS and are looking for something new and different. If you like your ego stroked take a HUDSON.

Lee O'Dell
  • GeoffGeoff Posts: 3,609Senior Contributor
    Very few cars can be classed as entirely original, unless they have never been driven.  However "As Original" is a different thing.   So long as it is all kept with the correct parts. I call my 1928 Essex "Grandpa's Axe".  It has done half a million miles, but still has all the correct, albeit not the original components. For safety and handling I have installed shock absorbers, and for safety there are direction indicators. To call this type of addition "modifying" is a a bit pedantic.    I believe that the H.E.T. Club has the correct policy in not judging car for condition.  But personally, I  prefer to see all H.E.T. cars with their correct componentry.  As for the Metropolitans, well, they have their place in History, but like the '57 Hornets, there are no genuine Hudson parts in them apart from the name badge.   That's not to say I begrudge them a place in our club. To each their own.  I think if you like Chevrolet or Pontiac or Ford power, then it would be better to buy that particular marque, but then what would be our reaction if someone  fitted a Hornet motor into a Chevy???
    Geoff 
  • 50C8DAN50C8DAN Posts: 1,790Senior Contributor
    What is with the weird way the posts are being posted?  These last two on mine are from way earlier in the day.  There is at least one more that did the same thing???
    Geoff

I wish I could remember what source I saw a pictures of a good looking couple proudly standing next to their late model Corvette powered by a 6 cylinder Hudson Hornet Engine with article explaining why they
    wanted it that way.

That might make for a second project for anyone removing Hudson engine for other later model engine brand. Put the removed Hudson engine in late model Cad, Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, Toyota,. Pontiac, Mercury, or any car of choice.

May become a unique MONGREL worth looking at.

Lee O'Dell
  • bull_islanderbull_islander Posts: 541Expert Adviser
    edited November 2014
    Dan,  

under the first post by Arkie, you'll see "comments".  

Under that is 
    On mine, I have "date added" highlighted and that is how they are sorted.  If you have "votes" highlighted, it sorts them with positive votes at top, negative votes at bottom and others in between.
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 6,925Administrator
    Park:  I suspected your tongue was firmly in your cheek, however it's a relief to hear you confirm it!

An elite sub-group within the Club, meeting at dead of night in hidden places, whose members speak in mystic and arcane jargon, and whose bizarre and unnatural objective is to "preserve the great cars built by Hudson" -- what a concept!

• cpr3333cpr3333 Posts: 213Expert Adviser
    edited November 2014

At the risk of being kicked out of here, I'm going to say that I wish we did have some sort of judging, not so much for condition as for correctness, as Geoff described.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they need to do to keep their cars on the road or with making whatever modifications they desire.  After all, it's their car and they can do what they want with it.  My issue is with the members who seem to think that trying to keep a car as original or 'correct' as possible is the wrong way to go. 

At the last club meet that I attended, I was telling someone about the difficulties that I had encountered in trying to determine the original color of my car.  He told me that I should paint it whatever color I wanted.  I told him that I wanted it the original color and the impression I got from him was that I was wasting my time and that it was somehow anti-Hudson to be interested in such things.

Maybe this was an isolated incident but I have sensed that feeling from more than a few members.  I think the Hudson club should be encouraging people who want their cars 'correct' or, at the very least, not seeming to frown on that goal. 

As fewer and fewer members have first hand knowledge of these cars when they were new (I don't), I'm afraid that a lot of that knowledge is being lost.  Creating a system of judging or maybe just grading or rating a car for its 'correctness' may be a way to preseve that knowledge for future generations.

50C8DASN

I too notice some screwy way the posts are being shuffled around. I don't like it. Makes it difficult to follow the last post. Wonder it some posts do not get read because they are posted out of order.

Lee O'Dell
  • bull_islanderbull_islander Posts: 541Expert Adviser
    Lee,

See my post above.