38 Terraplane truck, craigslist VA eastern shore

bull_islander
bull_islander Expert Adviser
edited July 2014 in Vehicles
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/cto/4560851367.html

Very Rare Antique Truck. 1938 Hudson Terraplane. Bought for a project, selling as a project. Not running, believe to be all original and complete. No calls, emails only. Serious inquiries only. $5000 obo. Thanks.

No contact info on the ad.  Only way is to reply.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's apparently a '39 "112", not a '38, not a Terraplane.  This may be the truck that on of our local HET chapter members spotted while hunting on the Eastern Shore several years ago.  He tried to get in touch with the owners but didn't succeed. 

We certainly seem to have cornered the market in '39 pickups, in Maryland.  Two of them are now owned by members of the CBC chapter, and now this one pops out of the woodwork!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    It is indeed a '39 112 and I want it!

But can't afford it ; hopefully it will go to a good home
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Yup, a '39 Hudson pickup - appears to be a Model 90, 112". 

Although it looks very rusty, it appears to be pretty complete, and the hood, fenders, etc., appear to be in decent shape. 

Did you notice:

• The 'fender skirt' on the right-rear;
    • The bucket seats in the cab;
    • '38 dashboard;
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member

Yup, a '39 Hudson pickup - appears to be a Model 90, 112". 

Although it looks very rusty, it appears to be pretty complete, and the hood, fenders, etc., appear to be in decent shape. 

Did you notice:

• The 'fender skirt' on the right-rear;
    • The bucket seats in the cab;
    • '38 dashboard;
    And the complete grille assemby .. .
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Russell - Saw that, but was really drooling over the tailgate...

Sent them an email (just asking for some additional photos) - sort of doubt that I will get a reply.

• RL Chilton
    You know, the first time I didn't even click on the link.  This time I did.  Yes, that's unusual (the tailgate).  Except for the embossing, that tailgate would not be a real tough reproduction.  I'm sure bentmetal would consider the project.  Yes,  that's an interesting dash . . . or maybe YOURS is the interesting one, huh?

$5000, though.  I think it's just a little rough for that amount, even though it is a rare bird.  Maybe I'm just getting old!     
    :D
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Russell, remember you could see the end result in the rusty pieces! Once we go through the process of making rusty pieces pretty some how we develop a different perspective that caps our enthusiasm to a lower level. Obviously this PU is making someone feel the same as you in Idaho.
    Pete Booz did one of these.
  • RL Chilton
    I haven't lost my vision.  Additionally, I have been known to pay much more for a lot less.  
  • Looks like a solid candidate! Too bad it is not a '37!

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Actually, the '38 & '39 Hudson trucks are a bit more rare than a '37 (although my favorite Hudson truck is a '37 too).

As Jon indicates, the Chesapeake Bay Chapter members have a couple of them - Both Model 90, 112 (no '39 Hudson 'Big Boy' pickups).  The advertisement claims that this one is a 'Big Boy', however I doubt it - but it is hard to tell from the photos.  My '39 (avatar) came out of TX, and the other out of Montana (?).

Even at 1/5h the price (i.e., $1K), I don't think I would be making my way to the Eastern Shore - Don't have room for it, and already have enough projects to keep me busy.

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Ken Cates (thanks Ken!) reminded me that my truck actually came from California, by way of TX.  Jim Guinn acquired it in Bakersfield, CA on his way back to TX (so as not to pull an 'empty trailer' back home). 

That's a LONG way to go, when there is one 'sitting in your back yard' (so to speak), huh?  Wonder how many more 'finds' are out there, waiting for 'discovery'...

Jim's a real nice guy, and a solid businessman - I hope the best for him, and wish him well in his retirement.

This discussion has been closed.