Drum Brake Alternate Source / Jet??

Just wondering if there's a drum from another car that will fit a ' 53 Hudson Jet. 

I finally got the beast out of the garage to drive it around the block and the drums are WAY out of kilter.  The brake pedal moves up and down about 3" when applying the brakes! I know you can "turn" drums, but just wondering if there's a source for newer drums.

Thanks!!
Mike

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Mike, A Jet drum will fit nothing other than another Jet. No interchange on this.
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Mike the problem may just be rust built up on the drum from being idle so long. Try removing the drums, inspect, remove rust with course sandpaper and try that.. If you have someone machine the drums make sure he doesn't remove any more than is absolutely neccesary.  The more that is removed the less cantact the brake shoes will have to the drum until the brake shoes wear to the near diameter of the drum.  One step farther (if the shop has the machine) is to have the brake shoes 'arced' (fitted) to the drum to achieve full contact.   Used to do that in the 'old days' to do superior brake job.

Jim Spencer
    WNY Chapter
  • Thanks for the info. I'll try the sandpaper thing.  I've been able to remove 3 of the 4 drums and replace/rebuild the brake cylinders. I replaced the front brake shoes, too.

But the RR drum is a real pain. I haven't been able to remove it... and I've used FORCE! lol.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I assume you're using the standard three arm puller with a dogbone for striking with a sledge hammer?

Had you tried backing off the brake adjustment wheel (I'm assuming they had these on Jets)?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     No star wheel on Jet brakes, just  eccentric pegs. 
This discussion has been closed.