Looking for a good 262

morangj
morangj Member
edited June 2014 in Parts & Pieces
Greetings, 
I am a member of the Mid-South Chapter of the H.E.T Club and have been looking at the forum for a year now and have seen lots of good advice.  I have a 1929 Essex coupe that is in need of an engine and automatic transmission. I'm thinking that a Twin H set up would look really good under the hood.  I plan to install hydraulic brakes as I understand the manual brakes may not stop it very well.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Gene M.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Welcome to the Forum, Gene!  Good luck in your search! I'm going to move your message to "CLASSIFIEDS / Parts & Pieces" but feel free to post in any category you like.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Hi Gene
    It's hard to beat the pleasure to be had from driving an Essex Coupe with it's original engine & a manual gear change & that would be my recommendation of the way to go.
    If you decide to update the engine & transmission then be aware that to be safe on the road you should also update steering, suspension & look at your wheels. Wooden spoked wheels may not handle the extra power & original tires are too narrow to get lots of power down.

Good luck

Dave Y
    28 Essex Coupe (acquired in 1965 & enjoyed since)
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Surprisingly, HET mechanical brakes work extremely well when set up properly.  First time I had a chance to experience mech. brakes correctly adjusted, I was blown away.  I would have sworn they were hydraulics.  

That said, with the extra power of a transplant, hydraulics are a good plan.  

I would check with Wildrick Restorations as they have dozens of engines and trannies in stock that could be used as re-buildable cores.  
This discussion has been closed.