Australian 1935 Hudson Hot Rod

ESSX28-1
ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
edited April 2014 in Street Rods
Interestng story

Comments

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Clive Gibson is a world class Hudson collector and this car has to be one of the finest modified Hudsons ever assembled.  Thanks for posting.  
    Since many don't know to click on the "blank" page above, you are missing the story and specifications of this car:  
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    really love the "one-off" sleek body! Slick looking manifold work, both intake & exhaust. Wonderful car.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    115mph top speed on 4.1 axle and 6.00-16 tyres implies what max rpm? 5,400?

A 15.8 quarter pre-war was really something. The '35 Railton Light Sports Tourer did 17.4 although on the much taller 3.3 axle.

Presumably the engine is the earlier pre-'37 small-port block? Anyone know for sure?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Clive and his associates were the origin of the CLIFFORD Performance 308 head design too. These Down Under folk were deep into making Hudson engines SCREAM.  6=8 and vise versa were truths borne out when these guys came to a race.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Clive and his associates were the origin of the CLIFFORD Performance 308 head design too. These Down Under folk were deep into making Hudson engines SCREAM.  6=8 and vise versa were truths borne out when these guys came to a race.
    I can believe it - during my years in the Coast Guard I met up with Aussies more than once.  They were a crazy bunch, believe me.  And the ones I met were wilder than hawks too.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Bur
    Memphis, TN
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    This particular Hudson is still around and resides in Adelaide. Clive was a racing man through and through, he fitted many 308 Hudson engines to speed boats.Clive has now passed away, but his legend lives on.
  • Huddy42

Give us a break Alex, not all crazy, but then, if you tinker with Hudson's, I may have to rethink that.LOL

In racing mode.image
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Having had an 8-cyl. Hudson to over 100 mph actual with the 4.11 rear end, I shudder to think what 115 sounds like in that open car.  Yikes!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Those are 14 hole wheels, ie 4 stud mechanical brake wheels. Do you know if the brakes were upgraded to hydraulic Les, or was Clive charging around at crazy speeds on cable brakes?
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    hey, this car's "Down Under", he's interested in goin' forward not slowing down ergo he don't need no juice brakes! LOL
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    The spec sheet in the article says hydraulic brakes, 1936 I believe
  • Huddy42

Yes Bob, as stated Hydraulic.

I remember years ago, young Brew Gibson (Clive's nephew) was pulled up at a set of lights, a GTHO Falcon pulled up beside him, when the lights changed Brew left the poor old Falcon for dead, never saw the Hudson for dust.

• ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Could this car owned by Ray Pank be the Gibson car?
  • Huddy42
    Yes Ivan, this is the car owned by Ray Pank ex Clive Gibson, there could only ever been one of this type.
  • Huddy42
    Ivan, I tried to reply to your other email, but, for some reason we can't seem to access it, this has happened since they change over the site.
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Huddy42,
    Please try to email me at:  ivanz62@comcast.net
This discussion has been closed.