" Hollywood" emblems

snowshoe90aolcom
snowshoe90aolcom Expert Adviser
edited January 2014 in HUDSON
I bought a 1951 Hornet Hollywood this past summer and in the glovebox were two "hollywood" emblems, right and left. I cannot find a picture of a '51 Hornet Hollywood with the emblems on the fenders-all kinds of pictures of '52's with the emblems, but no 1951's. If they belong on the car, can someone tell me where they mount? Terry

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    They don't belong on the '51's. Technically, the HLWYD's weren't called that until '52, according to Hudson advertising.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Thank you RL! I bought a 51 Hornet (Hollywood) in 1964. At the HET nationals in the mid 60s I was telling people about my 51 Hollywood and was told by the old fellows, now gone, that they didn't make a Hollywood until 52. I have been trying to get this across to the young ones for years. As I was told by the old guys they only made them in the month of September 1951. Everyone else had a two door hardtop and Hudson was late getting into the field. I was also told they hand built them at first from the belt line up because the assembly line wasn't set up to produce them. Now that I have become one of the "old guy" can anyone out there verify what I was told years ago?? I guess it really doesnt matter because I will always call them "hardtops" in 1951 not Hollywoods.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2014
    Saw this on Ken Cates site
  • Thanks for the information. I found a Hudson non interchange parts bulletin in the tech and information for 1951 and there is a diagram of the Hollywood and the trim parts that do not fit on any other models. The drawing shows no Hollywood emblem on the fender, however, they do refer to the car as a Hollywood and the date of the bulletin was May 1951. Anyway, I have my answer. Thanks Terry
  • RL Chilton
    1951hornethardtop-

Your information is precisely the same information I have heard, been told and read. The only small difference is I have probably equally heard that Sep. was the only month they were made, along with Sep. was the month they started making Hardtops. In '51, they really didn't make very many of them, so production could have only been generated within a month, although I think probably not likely.

Additionally, I can add that the HLWYD's were developed utilizing convertible panels, parts and pieces, which is interesting in and of itself. As an addition to your above information, I'll also add along these same lines (i.e., in reference to your statement: "I was also told they hand built them at first from the belt line up because the assembly line wasn't set up to produce them." Although I cannot verify, it is my opinion that the first cars were not only built "off of the line", but most likely built in or very close to the convertible room, as all the similar parts were close at hand. Keep in mind, that the "convertible room" was located at the body plant. Once finished bodies were loaded on a truck and moved to the main plant, the bodies then joined the main production line for suspension, driveline, doghouses, finishing touches and inspections.

Studying factory processes is fascinating to me and helps one to really understand how these cars were built.

If I don't get a pre-war car next, a hardtop/HLWYD is high on my list.

Great thread, guys!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Roy Marks has a rare 51 Commodore Eight Hardtop. I'll check with him to find out what the serial number is.
  • RL Chilton
    Like to see a picture of that. I thought Roy had sold off all of his cars?
  • SuperDave
    I just emailed him. I didn't know he was selling everything. His Hardtop was Light blue. Perhaps Kerry Dancy might chime in. He was at Roy's today or yesterday to drop off a fender for me and he said he was going to photograph the 51.. Are you lurking out there Kerry?
  • Thanks again RL. I know my hardtop has the same outer frame as the conv. This can be seen when you pull the sill plates off or the rocker panels. Interesting trying to find info. when all the people directly involved are gone. I think they are rarer than the conv. in 51 but certainly not as valuable. I have never found or seen any brochures on the 51 hardtop (Hollywood). I think they are rarer but, not as valuable as the conv. In the long run it really doesn't matter.

• SuperDave
    There was a 51 clone convertible here in Florida a year or so ago. It was built on a 51 Hardtop donor car. It was one of MANY that Gene Ramsey built. Gene passed away recently. He told me it was a hardtop that a tree fell on. He told me the same thing about another convertible he built, so.. who knows. The first convertible he built was a genuine 51 Commodore convertible he converted to a 52 Hornet. I sold him the car in the mid 70's that I had used as a parts car for my 49 C8 convert. Such was the stuff done in those days. but then I got off subject.. sorry..
  • RL Chilton
    The conversions are fairly easy and straightforward from my understanding. Not all of the internal bracing used on 'verts were used (or needed) on the Hollywoods. The most important bracing was there on both models, the 'Z'-member inside the outer perimeter frame. Your comments, Dave fit in with the theme of the thread, no worries.

One of the minor reasons I want a HLWYD is so that I can answer some questions I've had regarding the body style and the similarities and differences between the two body styles. I'm sure some of the side bracing beside the rear seat on the convertible is absent on the HLWYD, but I'm not completely sure. Also, I'm curious about the rear well wall. Is the same wall used on a HLWYD? I just haven't had the chance to see one with the interior stripped out of it, as yet. Difference in weight between the two body styles was fairly negligible (like 150 lbs. or so), which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.
  • I don't know about the side bracing. I restored a 49 Comm. 6 convertible years ago and my hardtop as well. I know the space between the back window and the back of the back seat appears to be much smaller on the hardtop than the conv. Its been to many decades since I did this to remember. I know the trunk lids are the same so they changed something.
  • I have the interior out of the car, but not the door panels. I'll be looking for the braces being talked about when I get that far. I bought some parts from a guy in northern MN. and when I told him it was a hardtop he immediately told me he had rear quarters from a convertible that would bolt right up. I'll be selling the Hollywood script emblems.
  • RL Chilton
    snowshoe-

That would be great. I'd love to see some pics. Also behind the rear seat area. Like to see pics of the HLWYD emblems and know how much you want for them, as well.
  • snowshoe90@aol.com I would be interested in buying your Hollywood emblems , please pm me with price and condition, I have an emblem-less 1952 Hollywood, Interesting that on my original car there is not holes for these scripts
  • my father sold Mr. Ramsey a horrifically rusted 1951 or 52 Hornet convertible back in the mid 1970's, It was so bad the shock mounts rusted through and it became a low-rider. about a year later it was at an AACA National Show where it won a National First Place award where he used a donor car and built a darn nice showcar out of it. I was less than 10 years old when my dad sold it and wish I could have held on to it. About 10 years ago I ran across a 1955 Chevy Bel-Air convertible for sale near Chattanooga , TN that had obviously been converted from a 2-dr hardtop also, I was told it was restored by Mr. Ramsey. I would how many convertibles Mr. Ramsey "made up" over the years???
  • I'll try uploading a photo and the condition on both are pitted but shiny and one script has only two of the three mounting studs left and the other two studs are shorter than they should be( as comparing them to the drivers side). the missing stud is on the end, next to the letter "d". As for what they're worth, you guys know far more than I do. Terry Sorry for the bad picture.
  • is there a chance the early 52 Hollywoods had no scripts either? mine have no holes and my car has never been repainted
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    On the subject of 1951 Hudson "Hardtops" All variants there are 51 listed in Charlie W's 1951 Registry.
  • RL Chilton
    Vance-

Absolutely possible.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    per vgeorge is there a chance the early 52 Hollywoods had no scripts either? mine have no holes and my car has never been repainted

I believe you will find NO definitive information describing the use of "HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT" on the Hudson Stepdown Hardtop models. I have posted some pictures to show the variety of cars with/without the Hollywood scripts. I was unable to "collect" a 1952 Super Wasp hardtop picture I found on line that had the HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT installed.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I was told that only the 54 Hollywood's had the Hollywood emblems from the factory.
    But I could be wrong. Ray
  • I found another reference to Hollywood in the information and tech manual for 1951- under the car distribution dept. memo advising of deliveries of the different "Hollywood" models in the future.... dated April 30, 1951.(page 26) Seems they were designated Hollywoods before they were produced in '51. More interesting to me would be, why Hollywood? Where did that come from? Terry
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    yes, I was at Roy's place on Saturday and took pictures of his 51 Commodore Eight HdTP.
    Very nice solid original Hudson. This would be a great car to do a full restoration on as it is a rare Hudson and unique. haven't downloaded the pictures yet.
  • RL Chilton
    Terry-
    It was my understanding that the name was planned, but they didn't put it on the cars and it wasn't used in advertising until much later. Why "Hollywood"? Pure marketing. Most of the other major manufacturers had snazzy names for their hardtops and that's just what the Hudson marketing department dreamed up.

Kerry-
    Would really like to see those pics when you get them downloaded or, feel free to e-mail them to me. That's exactly what I would like to find for my next project. Com8 or Hornet Hdtop in original garb and 99.9% all there!
    HETrlchilton52@gmail.com (drop the HET)
  • SuperDave
    Russell, Good choice. It looked like a nice original dull paint survivor when I saw it last year. Hornets are plentiful. but a Commodore 8 ? Priceless..WOW!
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The two door hardtops were always referred to by Hudson as "Hollywood" models. However, as Duncan mentioned above, the "Hollywood" script was never factory installed until the 1954 model year.
  • RL- It seems appropriate-show and glitzy=Hollywood. A person just has to wonder what other names they were kicking around. BTW, the scripts have been sold. Terry
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I only remember seeing the emblems on 54 Hollywood.
    A look through the parts books for different years should bring up an answer.
  •  I have a 52 Hollywood that has the emblems on the fenders and the holes on the trunk for the emblem
This discussion has been closed.