Under Floor Dual Master Cyl

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November 2013 in Street Rods
FYI
Just came across Butch Smith's neat under floor Dual Master Cyl in his '46 Coupe. Butch has 4 wheel Disc Brakes...

Comments

• J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Nice, professionaly looking bent lines. He must have a remote resevoir...
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Although not very classy, I've used a 12V LED truck/trailer light bar as the third brake light in our Jet and '47 C-6. The cars are 6V but certain 12 V LEDs will work fine on 6. It took some experimentation. Since LEDs are polarity sensitive, and all of the 12V stuff is Neg Earth, you must group all of the wires together that would normally go to each of the several LEDs, attach them to ground and then use the single ground wire as the "hot wire" of the Hudson 6V positive earth system. You must run a dedicated wire from the brake-light switch.

Frank
  • Ol racer
    NiceTip...
    Thanks for Sharing
  • joe53HH
    joe53HH Expert Adviser
    Anyone know if there are kits or special brackets available for putting a dual MC on a stepdown?
    Joe
  • I have converted both our Jet and '51 Hornet to dual MC (split-tandem systems) using an Aerostar MC on the '51 (that's what I had on-hand) and a common Chrysler MC in the Jet. I mounted the reservoir on the firewall in both cases (duh!) as God intended. Being somewhat computer illiterate, I can't locate the many photos I took of the projects but they'll surface in time. Patience.
    Both are situated to utilize the original linkage without modification, including the Hudson push-rod into the cyl. It retains the original Hudson mechanical override in the Hornet and adds peace of mind in the Jet since that was Hudson's only hydraulic brake car to NOT have that feature.
    I'll scare up the photos if anyone gives a ****.
    Frank
  • Ol racer
    Frank,
    There is Interest in a dual M/Cyl for Stepdowns...... When time permits Post the pictures. Ive converted '37 - '47's easily to dual M/Cyl but not the Stepdown yet.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • 12BoltTom
    12BoltTom Senior Contributor
    Here is a pick of our 41 Big Boy. We made a adaptor to fit a dual M/C. It is a 1974 Ford Torino unit for Manual disc brakes on front and drum in rear.
    The adaptor is 3/8 " thick. The bolt pattern radius for the Hudson triangular pattern is 3.712" It is not fancy , but very functional.
  • Ol racer
    Tom,
    Your Adapter looks really great. Mine was made from 1/4" steel using a hacksaw and works fine. Be sure to install an Inline Residual Valve for Disc/Drum brakes close to the M/Cyl. Their available on EBay around $15....
  • 12BoltTom
    It helps to have a Vertical Mill with a DRO. I am also slowly learning how to use it better. Still cut out with a hacksaw, just a powered unit.
  • Here are a few shots of the Jet installation using a modified M/C for numerous Chrysler applications. Of course there are many steps to the whole project that aren't shown, but you get the idea. A boot was installed over the pushrod at final assy, of course. The hardest part is carefully prying the reservoir off of the M/C for relocation on the firewall.
    Speaking of milling machines, that's where the rest of my thumb went back in '73. Be careful!
    Frank
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    very nice job :)
    Mike
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI
    Attached picture of Butch Smith's Electric/Hydraulic power Brake Booster located under the drivers floor board. The reservior is mounted on the left Firewall of his '46Hudson Cpe. This set-up enabled using the original Hudson Brake Pedal assy.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Ol racer, do you know where that under-floor power brake set up came from? That would be a pretty trick deal for someone wanting power brakes without being obvious about it.
  • Yo, Mikey,
    Take a look at ECI Hotrod Brakes (Engineered Components, Inc.) and take a look at their UBA set-up. I have no experience with it but it sounds like a possibility, esp for us 6V guys. Space is at a premium under the SilverStreak, so it's not really possible to do Vac boost unless you go to a single master/remote slave to operate the actual M/C. It can be almost anywhere then, like in the trunk.....or glovebox. (just kidding). A little extra plumbing but still nothing like modern stuff. You could retain the original mechanical override that way, too.
    Just a thought.
    Frank NWC
  • ps
    Looks like you'd still need to adapt to a remote reservoir with the ECI UBA as there just isn't enough vertical clearance under the step-down.
    F
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Butch Smith was kind enough to share more Information on his niceP/Brake Booster installation...
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    Good stuff here guys. I think firewall mounted or at least remote fill is the way to go. I have the dual underfloor MC in my 50 which works well, I just hate filling it. I would like to see pics of firewall mounted ones.

Matt
  • 12BoltTom - About your Torino Master cyl. on your Big boy. Which brake fluid outlet goes to the front brakes and which to the rear ? Thanks. Norm
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2013
    FYI

I could gp out to look but you need to put the large Chamber to the Front Disc Calipers. You do Not need a complex Proportioning Valve ....Just run one Line to front Tee and other Line to rear Tee.
    Ensure that you have the Torino Disc/Drum M/Cyl.(My Torino M/Cyl is for All Drum Brakes.Additionally, be sure to adjust the M/Cyl pushrod for some 'Pedal Free Play'You 'may need' an 'Inline' Residual Valve ($15) to prevent a low brake Pedal.(TBD).. (Some Disc/Drum M/Cyl have a valve built in) Suggest put it all together, bleed all 4 wheels then if cant get good Pedal, buy a residual valve on Ebay)
  • 12BoltTom
    Herm,
    Ol Racer is correct. Small chamber to rear brakes and large to the front brakes. In my case the front chamber is the small one, so is hooked to the rear brakes.
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Here is another picture of Butch Smith's power brake Reservoir...
This discussion has been closed.