John Dillinger loved Hudson Terraplane 8's

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November 2013 in HUDSON
FYI
I already heard notorious John Dillinger loved Hudson Terraplane 8's because of their fast getaway Police eventually nicknamed Dillinger as the 'Jack Rabbit', however, never realized Dillinger was from nearby Brookfield Oh & Sharon Pa until I read this Poster from the 'Vindicator' Newspaper .....

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I heard a rumor that the Dillinger car was going to be on display at the Indianapolis Airport. Since I'm going up there next week, I thought I would check it out, but have not verified that it will indeed be there. Anybody heard the same?
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    Ol - don't know where you're getting your info but Dillinger born in Indianapolis, Ind., June 22, 1903. He's also buried there.
    For those of you interested in the subject suggest you read "The Dillinger Days" by John Toland pub. in '63; can probably find a copy on Amazon.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Didn't realize you were in that area. I grew up south of there in Harvey Firestone's hometown of Columbiana reading the "Vindicator". One of our hangouts near Beaver Creek State Park was the site of Pretty Boy Floyds demise. FBI took all the credit, but a local law man swore to his grave that he had wounded and disarmed Floyd. His story was that Melvin Purvis ordered his execution by FBI agents. I think Floyd had become public enemy #1 after Dillingers death.
  • oldhudsons
    Twin H - that's interesting as same sort of thing happened in re Dillinger's death.
    I don't know why it was in the L.A. Times, perhaps because they'd run an article about him, perhaps on 50th anniversary of his death, but anyway, a guy wrote a letter to the Editor, which the Times printed, saying the FBI did not shoot Dillinger, knew it but couldn't admit it due to all the hoopla & Hoover pressing agents to get him.
    The letter was signed "John Dillinger" in other words saying he was alive & living in L.A. (no address given of course, LOL).
  • Yes, the car was still there as of a couple of weeks ago. It's by the escalators to the baggage claim.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Yes I saw it last summer. Nice car!!!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    FYI
    I quoted this Info off a 2 Foot Poster from the Vindicator Newspaper. They printed this Historic Article for the 'Education Department' to utilize in Classroom's..(Newspaper's in Classroom Program) If you could enlarge the pic, it reads Resident of Farrell, Masury, Sharon, Brookville, Oh Area for Yrs. (Apparently he resided there when Home on the Lam. Neighbors thought he was very nice as he frequented local Bars in Hubbard Oh for Card Games & Gamble. He may have been born in Ill & died there as we all know, but according to the Article, he lived in the Pa & Oh area for Yrs, then later was suspected of robbing a Bank in Farrell & Volant Pa....Interesting... but main point is Terraplane '8' were Fast in its day out running all the State Police Cars regardless of State....They couldnt get him until 'walked' out of Theater, not Driving.......
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I saw a flyer from the late 20's warning law enforcement officers to be on the lookout for possible bank robberies if a Hudson was stolen in their area. As I recall this was someplace in the southwest.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Alex-
    Shame on you! I know for a fact, you're not that old.
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    Car was pictured in WTN a few years back.
    Kim
  • oldhudsons
    In lieu of HETers fascination & interest in Dillinger & his use of Hudsons I've spent last several days going thru my copy of "The Dillinger Days", pub. in 1963 by best-selling author John Toland (I'm sure you can get a copy on Amazon). It is approx. 350 pps. long. In '63 a number of cops, writers, witnesses, 2 of Dillinger's girl friends, etc. were still alive & whom he interviewed listing their names, all of the newspapers from which he drew info, and in the process of writing it visited 34 states. I'll next list dates, cars used, places based on this scholarly book.
  • oldhudsons
    edited November 2013
    D. born June 3, 1903 in Indianapolis, Ind. His mother died when he was young, he dropped out of h.s. He joined the Navy, went AWOL. In Sept. '24 at age 21 arrested for armed robbery, sent to reformatory in Pendleton, Ind. Over next 5 yrs. tried to escape on several occasions, in July '29 sent to Ind. State pen at Mich. City, Ind. He spent 5 yrs. here, met hardened criminals, bank robbers, was paroled in May '33 ergo spent 9 straight yrs. in prison.
    His 1st bank heist in New Carlisle, Ohio in June '33, got $10,600. On Aug. 14 robbed Bluffton, Ohio bank & as previously fled back into Ind.
    Sept. 6 robs Indianapolis bank of $24,800 (a helluva lot of $$ in '33!) & "drove the new Essex - -" to see girlfriend in Dayton, Ohio where he was arrested then moved to Lima, Ohio jail where on Oct. 12 men who he'd help escape from Ind. State pen broke him out. Two days later the gang, short on guns & ammo raided the police stations of Auburn & Peru, Ind.
    Oct. 23, '33 robbed Greencastle, Ind. bank of $74,782.09 & returned to Chicago.
    Nov. '33 "- - - Dillinger would drive a Terraplane" for a dr. appt. in Chicago where cops thought they had him trapped but "out-drove" the cops & escaped, abandoning the Terra. on the streets of Chicago. [p. 145].
    Chicago getting "hot" so D. & girl friend left on Dec. 20, '33 for Daytona Beach, Florida.
    Jan. '34 decided to go to Tucson, Az. & he arrives in a Hudson [p. 178] {Sandy has tried to find out what happened to it as would have been impounded by Tucson police} with rest of the gang in 2 other cars. Whole gang captured, D. returned to Ind., held in Crown Point jail.
    Mar. '34 makes famed escape from Crown Point jail, to Chicago. Gang robs bank Mason City, Iowa, D. wounded, goes to St. Paul, Minn. & he escapes trap Mar. 31 driving a Hudson [p. 247].
    Apr. '34 visits father in Ind. "driving a big Hudson" [p. 253].
    June '34 use a Hudson during bank robbery in S. Bend, Ind. [p. 309] and "That Hudson, now riddled with bullets - - -" "police gave chase but their cars were not fast enough" & it was found abandoned later at Ind./Ill. state line [p. 312].
    That is the last reference to him using a Hudson product as he was gunned down in Chicago the next month, age 31.
  • oldhudsons
    Synopsis: only place he ever "lived", after leaving home, was 9 yrs. in 2 jails in Ind. He never stayed in any one place after that for more than a few weeks at best as constantly on the run. As he & gang became more famous during his 13 month spree of bank robberies he was variously reported all over the U.S. & even in England where Scotland Yard went on alert! He never lived in Ohio, never entered the state of Pa.
    Many state & federal laws were changed due to D. When he began his escapades the Ind. State Police had a TOTAL of 42 employees (that inc. actual state police officers)!!! Most local police at the time used their own cars & had to buy their own guns & ammo so were out-gunned by gangsters & if gave chase, couldn't catch them!
    If this period of American history is interesting to you I'd highly recommend this book. It also covers the "careers" of the Ma Barker Gang & Bonnie & Clyde. Discusses careers of many other famous gangsters of the period, some of who were in the "Dillinger Gang" at various times such as "Baby Face" Nelson, "Pretty Boy" Floyd, "Pete" Pierpont (originally leader of D. Gang). Also covers the evolving role of the FBI, it's officers & officials, criminal doctors, criminal lawyers.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    edited November 2013
    Outlaw historian Sandy Jones is a friend of mine. He comments:
    "The book they are referring to, The Dillinger Days, is well written but lots of flaws." and that if you want to read the most accurate book about Dillinger, it would be Bill Helmer's ' Dillinger, the Untold Story '. Every Terraplane owner should have the book considering how often we have Dillinger mentioned to us when out with our land flyers.
  • oldhudsons
    Sandy a friend of mine too; I was working on a T8 at the same time he was restoring the "Dillinger sedan".
  • oldhudsons
    will see if I can find a copy of Helmer's book
  • oldhudsons
    have ordered book & will read it as soon as I get it.
    read reviews of both books via Amazon.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I can get a copy at my library.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
This discussion has been closed.