Hot Rod Air

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited September 2013 in Street Rods
A few years ago I bought all the stuff to install air on a 54 Hornet. I dealt with Hot Rod Air in Selma Texas. They were great to deal with. Vintage Air was a bit "aloof":. Wanted a lot of loot ($$$) to send a catalog and only sent catalogs out once a month!!
Now I have a new Hudson Air project and I can't find a web presence for my old friends at Hot Rod air.. Anyone know what happened to them? Other than Vintage Air, is there anyone else that is sympathetic to us Hudson Folks?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Are you referring to Old Air A/C. Ive founf them very helpful with my mix & match A/C installations at oldairproducts.com
  • SuperDave
    Haven't heard of them, but.I'll check them out..
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited September 2013
    Dave, what about Classic Air in Tampa?
    http://www.classicautoair.com/
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL, now has a secondary site in Texas:
    920 Minters Chapel Road, Suite 400
    Grapevine, TX 76051
    (Local Phone - 817-442-4822)
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I thought it was interesting OldAirProducts.Com actually lists a page for Hudsons - Im not sure how they determine whats makes it fit a hudson - but here's the link

Hudson 1937-1953 (12 Volt)

I'm planning an AC prototype for the 51 Hornet - I can't really discuss the technical aspects yet as I'm still working with vendors on putting my idea together with the right components.

As soon as I get things finalized I'll be posting updates on my website, hopefully within the next 60 days.

• SuperDave
    When I do this one. It will be my third A/C installation. Each time, I used a second pulley on the crank. First time, I uses a double 55 harmonic dampener. The second time, I used a Chevy double sheave pulley on a modified Hudson harmonic balancer. This time I will mount the compressor low on the passenger side and use one belt. I would like to do a serpentine belt, but I am dreaming . LOL... I guess my friends at "Hot rod Air" are victims of the Obama administration. I had some fun communicating with them back in the day. I used to live in Selma (Alabama),, LOL ..
    No hurry. I still have so much to do to this derelict. I did get the front fenders mounted today.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    This is a great conversation for me guys. I have also converted a harmonic balancer to a double pulley using the chevy pulley. But I am at a loss choosing an evap underdash unit. My project is the big 53 hornet 4dr sedan, and I am very worried a front unit won't cool those in the back seat. The Hurricane by Old Air seems to fit the nicest without mods. I will be thoroughly insulating the car, and I can tint the windows to help as well, but my doubt is still there. So, I aks those with experience in this area,
    Which unit is the easiest to install in the sedan, and which one will cool the rear?
    Can someone with real-world experience help?
    Dave C
  • There are original type units that go behind back seat. I had one in 56 caddy , had vents in headliner to outlets over doors likr aircraft.
    Worked quite well

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Several years ago I looked at a stepdown Hudson for sale that had a A/C unit in the trunk with plastic toobs that came up behind back seat. He said it was factory. It looked similar to what I had seen on Cadillacs.

Lee O'Dell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DavidC
    OK, then can I assume there is no underdash unit which will satisfactorally cool the back seat passengers in a Hornet sedan, and therefore I can count on installing a split unit, one in trunk and one underdash?
  • SuperDave
    Yes.... There are units that will cool the sedan. I used a combination cool/heat/defrost on two different cars with great results.. They were hidden behind the dash and require removal of the cowl vent box. The 54 was the worst I ever encountered! Not much space to work with. The 49 was easy. I don't know about the ones that hang under the dash.
  • DavidC
    Great Superdave!. What unit did you use behind dash that was adequate to cool rear passengers?
  • SuperDave
    Well It took me a while find to my old catalog. The Hot Rod Air catalog part number for the evaporator, was 52-1000. That would not be of any help to you since I suppose HRA is out of business. I never got an answer to my original question. If you check the Classic Auto Air catalog, it appears to be the same as their 11-1090. The dimensions are on page 69.
    They also have a rear deck mount evaporator which I think is "cool".. No pun intended.
  • DavidC
    Thx Superdave, I remember meeting you at the campsite in Gettysburgh. You've always been very helpful and knowledgeable
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Sorry, Hot Rod Air is out of business.
    Chaz
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Chaz! Great to see you posting again! How is the 2 door conversion coming? Send me an email via my contact info, want to talk with you about metal working...Ken
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hey Ken,
    It's still sitting there with a little work done on it the last week or so. Major setbacks from me, not the car. Open heart surgery to replace a heart valve, a mini-stroke, fell on head on concrete causing bleeding on the brain and 2 pacemakers in a span of 2 years. Recovering great! I'm now getting more oxygen to my brain which is a real God send. I now have more energy than I ever had before. I have to be really careful though since I am on blood thinners. (rat poison)
    PS, I will be switching over to a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum unit instead of my original Hot Rod Air Unit.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Hey Chaz!

So sorry to hear all of that, but also very glad you are still plugging away!  It's great to have you back on the forum.  
This discussion has been closed.