1949 Step Down V8 swap build thread.

raidmagic
raidmagic Senior Contributor
edited August 2013 in Street Rods
I figured I'd start a build thread for this swap. If you are against this please keep it to yourself I don't care to hear it. I started last week 7-28 but had a busy week so I didn't get beyond my first day and removing the hood. I like to get out in the shop after work due to the heat down here it's just killer in the middle of the day. Couple that with being married with two kids the weekends are family time.

Anyway. The hood has come off, radiator out and once again, the thing that started all of this, the transmission has come out. The bright side is I've become very good at removing the transmission.

I'll upload some pics later but here is the hood off....it's a start.

Comments

• raidmagic
    OK Today 8/4
    Thank God for rain. After posting that last post I hit the shop and got the trans out and the engine out. Not too bad a job.
    A note for anyone that might want to do this, remove the grill before you start. I thought I could just go over it but the engine comes forward too much before it goes up so I had to remove mine while the grill was in a bind with the engine hanging there. Once the grill was out of the way it just plops right out. Very Easy took about 2-1/2 hours. Trans out the bottom engine out the top. You can see in pictures 3 and 4 it with the grill and without.

I also have a new harness for it so I will be installing that before the engine goes in.
  • Eventually going to do this to my 52 coupe so I will be watching. Thanks for posting the build.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited August 2013
    There a guy on craigslist right now looking for a running twin-h motor...

FYI - by this weekend I'll have the entire old www.49C8.com website on www.doggonecustoms.com under Project Archives.

Theres about 10 articles and nearly 700mb of images from the old site so lots to look thru.

Some of the stuff was just posted on the old forum..and the search on this one sucks..sorry guys..but it does :)
  • Very impressed.. your very fast...impressed that you kept the fan on. This is good and surly I will learn something. keep up the posts....I also know of a fellow that is in need of a 308. If you are interested let me know and I will get you two together?
  • bcmcintosh
    bcmcintosh Expert Adviser
    Just another person watching and learning. Thanks for putting this out there.
  • raidmagic
    Yes the 308 is for sale. I have to do my homework and set a price on it.

Thanks Rambo, one question, did you cut out the stock trans crossmember? There is no way the trans is going in there. I test fit tonight and no go. I pulled the trans and got the motor to sit down where I want it....I think. Does your oilpan sit behind and below the steering? I could cut the floor but that makes me wonder about the angles to the rear end. I guess that's two questions.

Thanks for the support guys. I will keep things updated here. Test fit #1 went poorly tonight. No pics but I have some good ideas now so hopefully tomorrow I will have something I'm happy about and will post some shots.
  • rambos_ride
    edited August 2013
    the 454 engine/Th400/2pc driveline are out of a 75Chevy PU. You'll see that I didnt have to cut the floorpan and nothing hangs below the original subframe - with some mods of course.

I used a laser to mark the centerline..you can see marks on the firewall and engine.
    made sure the engine had a 6-5 degree tilt front to back

The pieces I had to mod.
    • Motor Mounts - cut and moved, with brackets made for front of engine to re-use orignal Hudson motor mounts.
    • Forward Xmember - notched to allow exhaust and trans clearance
    • New Rear Trans XMember
    • Cut original carrier out of brackets and welded a new peice in for the GM carrier.
    • Removed lower section where driveline passes thru rear chassis and re-enforced.
    • Cut out center of Hudson transmission cover and made fiberglass temporay covering.

• That's it..sounds easy eh?

• rambos_ride
    edited August 2013

OK - Since I can tell you can't wait..I'll wet your appetite..when the sites up you can go thru galleries and see many step by step pics.

Remember this IS a 454/TH400/2PC DRIVELINE - don't let anyone tell you it won't work!
    Theres about 1.5 " of clearance to the pan,,,

• rambos_ride

Original Hudson brackets and pads..moved back and re-welded (riveted orig)

TH400 custom rear Xmembemr

• rambos_ride
    edited August 2013

ReWorked Hudson Center Carrier Bracket to fit GM Carrier assembly

This Allows room for the beefier rear driveline to connect to the yoke

• rambos_ride
    edited August 2013

Hudson Transmission Cover Mods for TH400

• rambos_ride
    edited August 2013
    I tell ya what...worth every penny doing custom engine fitting.. :)

I probably took the engine trans in/out 20-30x easy.

• raidmagic
    You are the MAN!!! That is exactly what I was wanting to see. The stock X-member for the trans is what I was pondering last night after coming in from the shop. My first thought was to cut it out and remake one that was bolt in but I like the way you just notched it. I also have a 2 piece driveshaft laying around from a Chevy truck, maybe I'll use that too. I will be hitting it tonight after work and cutting up some stuff. Thanks again.
  • rambos_ride
    edited August 2013
    Sorry..forgot to post this one..

This is the front xmember at the firewall...needed the clearance for transmission pan and
    exhaust routing...

Engine would be on the left in this pic..right is towards rear end.

• raidmagic
    OK Great, thanks.

I spent the evening in the garage. Nothing picture worthy but I did get the whole thing pressure washed so I can get to work on clean metal. I got the wiring removed and the stock heater taken out. So I need to get the rest of the wiring out to make way for the new harness, get the stock motor mounts removed and trim up that brace. I've get it all marked out but didn't feel like getting into that tonight. Onward and upward...

Now for the questions:
    1) is the stock horn relay compatible with 12V?
    2) anyone use Newport engineering for their electric conversion for the wiper motor? Looks like a pretty sweet deal.
  • raidmagic
    Got the crossmember cut out still need to beef it up but it needs a major cleaning as you will see in the pictures. I also got the stock motor mounts removed. I ordered a engine mount from Speedway in hopes of relocating the stock mounts and being able to just drop the engine right on there. Hopefully I'll be placing the engine in this weekend. More updates to come..

Check out the pics. The amount of grease and dirt in there was amazing. It kept the shape of the cross member after I removed it.
  • rambos_ride
    edited August 2013
    I've seen some hudsons so rusted the grease inside the channel was the only thing holding its shape!

I don't have a hot-water pressure washer..still on the bucket list-o-tools...with a cold water pressure washer and lotsa scraping.
    I found a combination of cheap degreaser from Lowes (2 gallons for around 12.00) and believe it or not..Easy-Off oven cleaner was what got me clean finally.

Be careful with the oven cleaner though..it will take everything off..paint included!
  • raidmagic
    Taking off paint wouldn't be a bad thing I still have to paint it all up when I get everything set. lol

So tonight I finally made some progress. My dad came over tonight the extra pair of hands and eyes were really helpful. I think I've changed my mind mid stream on where the engine will sit. I am going to go more forward and higher. Hood clearance won't be an issue and I am just going to do some floor work to make up for the higher transmission. It only needs to be modified to the middle of the front seat. That is where the carrier bearing sits. This will allow more room for the exhaust and the engine won't be jammed against the fire wall giving me room for the dist.
    Along with this swap I am also rewiring the car and converting to 12v, so I've gutted the dash wiring and gauges, everything. If anyone is interested in the stock gauges and radio they will be for sale too, anyway onto the pics
  • Marconi
    Marconi Senior Contributor
    I normally don't care for modified vehicles but your workmanship is first class, nice job!
  • bcmcintosh
    edited September 2013
    rambos_ride - FYI - by this weekend I'll have the entire old www.49C8.com website on www.doggonecustoms.com under Project Archives.
    I've been checking your blog off and on and wondering if I've missed the link? I do appreciate what you've put up here so far and am looking forward to more detail. I've got a '49 Super 8 coupe and this is the direction I'm thinking of going, possibly with a Caddy 472/500 and TH400.
  • rambos_ride
    Sorry - the old website porting is a bit more difficult than I first expected and ended up breaking some things on the current site. I'm on vacation this week and for me that means "unplugging" from computers (other than checking on the forum ;))

If there's anything specific you're concerned or interested in let me know.
  • bcmcintosh
    Completely understand. I just came back from vacation last night and managed to go 5 whole days without checking email - haven't done that in probably 15 years. Enjoy your time.
  • raidmagic
    I have done some things on the car but don't have any updates for you picture wise. I was hoping to get the engine installed for the last time and build my trans crossmember but I had to spend a some time fixing the daily driver this weekend. Oh well, hopefully Wednesday I will get it all cleaned up and painted then put the motor in.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Wiper motor comment...
    Since you are going 12 volt..Use a 57 Chevy electric motor. It's two speed and you can use the Hudson bracket and control cable. You just need to use some spacers or washers to mount on the Hudson bracket. You will have to use the cable mounting brackets from your old wiper motor and attach them to the Chevy motor. I used a couple 4-40 screws and some JB weld to make sure it stays there. Might take you 20 minutes.. Considering how many other mods you will be doing.. this one is easy!
  • raidmagic
    Awesome info, thanks SuperDave!
  • chopperchuck
    chopperchuck Expert Adviser
    edited April 2014
    Awesome info, thanks SuperDave!

• raidmagic, What rear end are you using? I picked up 53 Hornet that has a front clip from a 1976 Nova with a small 305 chevy. A project started long ago and not finished. I need some suggestions for the rear end. The stock rear end is still in the car.     

John
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    John,where are you located?
    I'd be interested in the 53 rearendIll if you are going to change it. Do you know the what ratio it is?
  • Kerry, my location is Utah and the rear end is a welded cover type with a 4-1/10 gear ratio. Until I decide what to do with the rear end it is not available.

John
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Ok, it must be a hudson built rear from an earlier hudson and not the Dana 44 they used in 53.
This discussion has been closed.