Making new gas tanks for Hudsons?

2»

Comments

• RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Jerry, let us know how it comes out. I had a local shop do my Cadillac tank a few years ago. In a few months it leaked again at the straps... right at a AACA Meet on the field. Glad I brought some gas tank sealer with me. I bought a new tank( reproduction) since. I probably would spring for a Ricks stainless if there is no new alternative. At least ethanol's propensity to absorb water will be of less consequence.
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    Well if a 55-56 Chevy is close enough to do a bit of cut n welding they are only $105.00 from Classic Muscle div of Modern Chevy in Winston Salem NC. I just bought one for my 64 Nova for only $92 bucks. New GM Canada item and they have the in tank units also -float / resistor cheap. I am not scared to TIG or MIG a new tank.
    Carroll O, in NC
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Could anyone with a StepDown tank that's out of the car, please measure it and post the measurements here? Then, some motivated individual might try some of the tank suppliers to ask which of their tanks comes close to this. Possibly, if the tank manufacturer sees that they could easily adapt a tank (by attaching the filler pipe in a particular location), they would be motivated to go into limited production.

I can understand the unwillingness of a company to invest thousands of dollars in patterns to make a tank for which the demand might be only 100 or so (as in the case of Hudsons). Yet, if they could fairly easily modify an existing tank -- and do so in short runs (just enough to stock a few tanks on the shelf), that would not involve a great investment. (Or at least, this would seem to be a reasonable assumption. Maybe these companies simply have an irrational fear of making anything that doesn't fit a Ford, GM or Chrysler car....)

At the very least, if Carroll knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that these tanks fit Hudosns, he could purchase them from the manufacturer on an individual basis, modify them with the correct filler pipe, and offer them for sale at a reasonable price (and still make a modest profit on each one).

• My 53 SuperWasp tank dimensions are 23.5''wide,25''long,9.5''deep.Sender hole 8.5''from left side. fuel pick up is in the center front and the filler neck is 3.5''from rear on left side. I am currently searching for a replacement donor to swap filler necks,the rub seems to be the sender hole,its located on the front on an inclined part of the tank wall, not on the top. J.R.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Interesting. Anyway, I just got an e-mail from Rick Pridemore who gave me the name of a gent in Tennessee who makes custom tanks in stainless steel, and at a supposedly-reasonable price. I'm going to call him for a rough estimate (thanks J.R., I'll give him your dimensions). And I'll get back here with the price and name of the guy (if the price is "in the running"). I'm still confused as to why these things have to be made of stainless, since a carbon steel tank would probably serve us the rest of our days!
  • Very true Jon B ,there are a lot of 60 year old Hudson steel tanks out there in good shape even now,
    Roger
  • I am going to purchase the 55/56 chevy tank from Tanks Inc, cut the filler neck off my tank and weld it in the correct position. I also think that there will be enough clearance on top to clear the sender after fabbing some 1.5' wooden struts to sandwich between the tank and the trunk floor. I will post some pics if all goes well. Necessity is the mother of invention. J.R.
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    edited June 2013
    JR what about making the filler neck separate pieces and connect the filler neck to the tank flange with a hose & clamps. A mandrel can bend a pipe on an angle to meet properly to the tank flange and upper flange at the filler neck. A hole can be cut in the trunk(boot) floor to access a sender. The pickup tube location would need to be determined.
  • Sounds like a good idea, I really didnt want to weld on the tank unless there was no alternative.Will check feasability as soon as tank arrives. The pick up appears to be in the sender.With the right size tank and a little ingenuity,it can be done. J.R.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm reviving this "repro fuel tank" discussion temporarily!

1. J.R., did you ever buy that '55-6 Chevy tank and weld in the filler neck in the right position (for your Hudson)? Did it work out? If so, and if you are willing to modify and sell these to fellow Hudson people, what do you think the selling price would be? (This would include the cost of the Chevy tank and shipping, plus your time and materials in modifying the filler neck position.)

2. Has anyone ever purchased a custom made tank from Darrell Winn? What was the price? He evidently makes custom tanks from stainless steel and has sold them to a number of Hudson owners.

3. If I don't receive a positive response to (2) I will send a sketch to Mr. Winn, asking him to estimate the cost per tank. I need to verify some dimensions and locations, though. This would be for a 1953 Super Wasp (and for whatever other Hudson fuel tanks would interchange with that). I'm taking these dimensions from J.R.'s earlier posting of June 29 so, J.R. and anyone else, please verify that I've got these dimensions correct!

WIDTH (from left to right side of car): 23-1/2"
    LENGTH (from front to rear of car): 25"
    DEPTH (top to bottom of tank): 9-1/2"
    SENDER LOCATION: on top of tank, somewhere near the front of the tank (i.e. towards front of car), and 8-1/2" in (on center) from the driver's side of the tank.
    PICKUP TUBE LOCATION: on the vertical front wall (nearest the front of the car), centered top to bottom and centered between driver's and passenger's side of tank.
    FILLER TUBE LOCATION: On the driver's side wall of the tank, centered vertically, and centered 3-1/2" forward from the rear of the tank.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited July 2013
    This fits but the filler tube would need moved...more than I want to do for the 51
    High quality Ni-terne plated steel gas tank with 3-year warranty

Applications:
    Belair: 1957 Square weld corners
    Chevrolet Passenger: 1957 /square weld corners, except stations wagons

Features: Square corners & weld
    Capacity: 16 gallons
    Dimensions: 24-1/4" x 25" x 8-1/4"
    Free with Tank: Rubber O-ring and lock ring for sending unit, O rings supplied for filler pipe, screws & seal supplied for gauge
    Packaging: Foam-wrapped, stretch-wrapped and boxed
    Part Number: GM-28D

Here's where I'm headed, I can locate filler in correct position on side and not cut up floor or filler on quarter panel

I know poly is no good for restorations but should work well for a street rod and never mess with it again..in theory!

Item Details:
    25" long, 17" wide, 9" deep
    16 gallon
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm reviving this thread after almost 4 years, because I wondered if anyone has ever discovered a reproduction tank that can be used? At one point, someone was suggesting that it was only a matter of relocating the filler pipe.  (I'm not looking for one, because I don't own a StepDown and anyway, mine is still in good shape after 80 years.)
  • allan
    allan Member

Too much step-down Hudson talk!  The 40's tanks are all the same except for the neck.  So one could use the same tank and swap their neck into the new tank.  I currently have my '40 gas tank at gas tank renew.  Once that is done, there will never be a need for a new tank.  But for those folks with rusted out tanks, a universal 30's -40's tank would be a fine addition to restoration aids.

Allan

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I am the person that was working with tanks inc. the price of a new tank was around $450.00 plus shipping and most people thought that was to much money for a new tank they would fit 1948 to 1954 cars if any of you are rely interested in getting a new tank let me know remember we would need a total of orders for a 100 tanks to make this work but you would have a new tank and filler neck Tom.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I wonder if it would be worth placing a notice in the WTN (as well as here on the Forum) simply requesting people to contact you if they'd be willing to pay $450 for a new tank?  Wouldn't cost you anything to ask.  You could simply set a cut-off date, after which time you could just wash your hands of the whole thing.  But you never know, maybe there is more demand out there than indicated by a simple poll here at the Forum.

It's frustrating that the company is asking so much, when one can purchase a new '51-56 Packard repro tank for only $349 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1956-Packard-Fuel-tank-new-Steel-reproduction-gas-tank-51-52-53-54-55-56-/331109426779   If low demand explains high price, ya gotta wonder if there are really so many more '51-56 Packards out there, than '48-54 StepDowns!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    The Packard tank may fit other cars that they aren't revealing
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I had about the same money in one that was ReNue'd. Id rather have a  new one!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hi, it's now 3 years after the last posting on this discussion.  And for anyone who hasn't heard the news, there IS a genuine steel repro Hudson tank available now, made by MoparPro.  It runs about $500, delivered (in 2020).  Their Ebay store is located at https://www.ebay.com/i/184009184672?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=184009184672&targetid=884317096469&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9007592&poi=&campaignid=9423618903&mkgroupid=95066781785&rlsatarget=aud-496202329659:pla-884317096469&abcId=1141016&merchantid=101491398&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsmZr7Dc6AIVjYTICh3JJQSsEAQYASABEgLtG_D_BwE

or just Google "Moparpro" for their website.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I bought one of the new ones. Very good quality.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    me 2... No more fuel delivery problems due to rust or tank seal!
  • Mine is on its way!!
This discussion has been closed.