Door Sill Plates Installation

joe53HHjoe53HH Expert Adviser
edited December 2012 in HUDSON Posts: 50
When installing the 3 sill/scuff plates in the stepdown door threshold should I use any type of sealant or gaskets between them? Thanks!


  • RonSRonS Senior Contributor
    Posts: 791
    When I placed mine (coupe), I placed a piece of rubber foam at both ends. The rubber should be a tight foam black piece that squishs down a bit to stop water from entering the footwell.
  • Tallent RTallent R Senior Contributor
    Posts: 1,739
    They were originaly sealed at the ends with that body gum simmilar to modeling clay .If you can find it ,of course anything that will keep the water out is the main thing as mentioned abouve,
    Retired Tech.
  • StillOutThereStillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Posts: 838
    Walk into most parts stores or any body shop supply and ask for "strip caulk". Buy the 3M brand if they carry it. It comes in gray or black and in this step plate application, gray was used as I recall.
  • Tallent RTallent R Senior Contributor
    Posts: 1,739
    Yes , same stuff . never seems to set up completely , stays in place to seal odd shaped gaps,
    Retired Tech.
  • hudsn47hudsn47 Senior Contributor
    Posts: 168
    Reminds me of plumbers putty, not that I would ever use it on my car. :-$
  • syddthekiddsyddthekidd Expert Adviser
    Posts: 203
    My dad was a mechanic at a Hudson dealer and then later at a Triumph dealer. Triumphs always leaked a lot of water and you had to seal the tail lights with the stuff. The mechanics always called it dum dum....
  • J SpencerJ Spencer Expert Adviser
    Posts: 509
    Strip caulk is a very good product, used a good bit of it repairing my customers cars especially around the heater box when replacing heater cores. Have also used it in a couple of spots on my Pacemaker. My car had some formed rubber seals at the ends of the door sills. I ended up buying a garage door bottom weather seal ( at Home depot), cutting it to the length of the old one and gluing it in place with contact cement as was the old one. The new seal has a slight bend/crease in it that fit near perfect. Guess I should have taken photos as I did it.

    Jim Spencer
    WNY/Ontario Chapter
    Jim Spencer Western New York Chapter 1951 Pacemaker Coupe
  • covertoncoverton Expert Adviser
    Posts: 158
    I seam sealer-flowable when I can get it.Lord Chemical makes a good one called "fusor" the rep comes by the school each year and does a demo and it does work.I used it to bond a replacement rocker panel on one side of a brand X and welded the other side -15 min vs two days and no warping -amazing products
  • Tallent RTallent R Senior Contributor
    Posts: 1,739
    That would be good for sealing gaps and seams but I dont think he should put it under his Threashold plates. They need to come up on occaision ,
    Retired Tech.
Sign In or Register to comment.