Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer

Val
Val Member
edited October 2012 in HUDSON
Has anyone used Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in there hudson? I am running the SAE 30 oil but as the car is still in work I thought about adding the oil stabilizer to prevent dry starts. I dont start the car often as it is on jack stands and I am working underneath. And I was thinking this would keep teh cylinders lubed longer than conventional oil. Any thoughst pro or con?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Forget about it. Use a good quality multigrade oil.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Agree, single vis motor oils are totally antiquated technology. the low number of the multi-vis gives you the cold immediate lubrication you need and that is exactly why they were created.
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    To add to this. If there was vality to the oil additives in general, the blenders would have in thier product.
    Kim
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I USE LUCAS STABILIZER 1 QT. PER OIL CHANGE BUT I ONLY USE IT IN ENGINES THAT HAVE BEEN REBUILT I DO NOT USE IT IN MY 34 8 (SPLASHER) ONLY IN THE 308 AND MY 57'S 327 I ALSO USE THE LUCAS TRANSMISION ADDITIVE IT REALLY WORKS
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited October 2012
    FYI

Usually Im not a fan of a cure in a can...
    However, I had an old original motor that was puffing out the breather from stuck rings and/or worn guides . I added Lucas Stabilizer and the blow by diminished. Additionally it has more power to pull the hill out from our City now....I added the Stabilizer with motor idling then took a drive letting it back down a few times similar on how we used to 'Break In' a new Set of rings. Normally, I just use a good Brand of 30wt Diesel Oil in my stock motors.

For Upper Lubrication, I regularly use a little Marvel oil in my fuel Tank before filling up.

• I'm a fan of Marvel oil in the gas tank too .It is an excellent valve lube in place of the lead.
    Roger
  • Roger, what ratio of MMO to the 20 gallons of gas do you use?
  • Its on the bottle how to mix it. I put about 1/2 quart in a fillup tank of gas . If I recall they recoment 1/3 of a quart to 10 gallons or so. So I probably use a little more than they recomend. But have never stuck a valve or burnt one either. It also lowers the volitility of the fuel slightly wich helps with vapor-loc,
    Roger
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Guys, be advised Marvel is very good as upper Cyl Lube but lacks any Lead. I use Lead Additive (any Brand) with a little Marvel Oil each fillup despite Hudson Block's having high Nickle content just to be safe.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    edited October 2012
    the thread was about oil additives, but some how wandered off into fuel additives so i write in response to that. reading reputable trade publications, i found the idea of the need for lead as a "valve lubricant" was debunked 20 years ago. the stuff is deadly to breathe. save the money and use it for something worthwhile. regards, tom
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    This stuff works - like throwing orange peel on the lawn to keep the elephants off. never had on an elephant on the lawn yet.
  • Marvel oil is bolth for the crankcase and gas tank if you read the label,
    Roger
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    ADDITIVES TO ME ARE ALOT OF HYPE AND LITTLE IF ANY SUBSTANCE.

KINDA LIKE THE SURE FIRE SHOWER CLEANER THAT EVERYONE MAKES AND NONE OF EM EVER WORK.

BUT AS LONG AS PEOPLE BUY THE STUFF THE MANUFACTURERS WILL KEEP PUTTING IT OUT THERE..LOL
  • Ok I wanted to revisit this as Dr Doug suggested I use Lucas oil additive in my 39 with my splasher 212. He said it coats the bearings. So based on his advice I use it. Does anyone else?
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Dr. Doug had recommended I use Lucas oil stabilizer in my '53 Super Wasp engine as it had a slight wrist pin knock at low idle. Drove about 4,000 miles with that wrist pin issue and Lucas stabilizer with each oil change before Dr. Doug performed a complete rebuild on the 262. Someone I knew at the railroad where I worked has a '60 Corvette with a rebuilt Chevy engine. He told me he religiously uses Lucas stabilizer in that engine to avoid "dry starts."

Dan
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    It clings. Sticks. Good stuff. Lucas gets my vote.  
  • I feel it will be positive as it will prevent dry starts. Wondering should I get an oil pan heater for winter. Since Lucas seems so thick. Splashing it cold I think wouldn't work. Any thoughts on that?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I've used Lucas automatic transmission additive on two diffierent cars that had slipping transmissions. One, a 96 dodge cummins pu and the other, my everyday driver, a 98 4runner with 222,000 miles. Both stopped slipping. Many miles on both since. So yes, i believe Lucas is a viable additive for the transmissions.
    Another time, the 4runner suddenly developed a miss, I suspected water in the gas and put a whole can of Sea Foam in it. In less then 80 miles the skip went away. That was 100,000 miles ago. I continue to occasionally add it to the tank .
    I've also used an engine flush product to clean out slude build up. Very successful with that as well. Amazing how black the oil was when I did the flush and drained it out. Did this twice in a row until oil cleared up then changed to regular oil. Oil pressure went up a few lbs as well. 1990 dodge Dakota 6cyl.
    Several years ago I had regular oil anaylisis done so I could determine the oil change intervals needed. This was most helpful.
    No paticular belief, I just dont use additive in engine oil, just mobile 1 synthetic oil in late model vehicles and have also started using it in my 53 studebaker with sbc 350.

• railknight
    edited September 2018
    I did a little bit of research on-line regarding Lucas oil stabilizer. One website, SVTPerformance, had one individual mention that this Lucas product is nothing but 60W basic stock oil with few to no additives and that it dilutes the additives already in your motor oil. He suggested a heavier oil like 20W-50 to do the same job without the oil dilution. Then again, if you go to Amazon you'll read a bunch of reviews that highly recommend this Lucas oil. Especially for worn, noisy engines. I kinda' like the 20W-50 route particularly in that Valvoline makes a 20W-50 racing oil with a high zinc content which is an added bonus for Hudson engines.

Dan
  • I did a little bit of research on-line regarding Lucas oil stabilizer. One website, SVTPerformance, had one individual mention that this Lucas product is nothing but 60W basic stock oil with few to no additives and that it dilutes the additives already in your motor oil. He suggested a heavier oil like 20W-50 to do the same job without the oil dilution. Then again, if you go to Amazon you'll read a bunch of reviews that highly recommend this Lucas oil. Especially for worn, noisy engines. I kinda' like the 20W-50 route particularly in that Valvoline makes a 20W-50 racing oil with a high zinc content which is an added bonus for Hudson engines.

Dan

there is a lot of good info here

- i used the lucas heavy oil stabilizer in a '66 mercedes rear end, and it quieted down noticeably

- i have used seafoam with good results, but too much seafoam will break loose a bunch of stuff, which may take a while to get out

- for hudson oil, per walt's suggestion, i am using 10w-40 - i found lucas brand, w zddp

- i use the valvoline 20w-50 VR-1 racing oil in my 3 air cooled porsche's - i think it may be a bit heavy for hudson's, especially in the winter
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Beware any oil thickener in a splasher engine. And that's what most of these so-called stabilisers are.
  • Listen to Geoff. Find out why Hudson said what oil to use and why.
  • railknight
    edited September 2018
  • Well I have added the stabilizer as Dr Doug has suggested. I warmed the engine up good then added the product. Then drove it for about 15 minutes so it could mix in well. But I may get a oil pan heater or heated dipstick for winter
This discussion has been closed.